cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting issues

kdh53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm new to public mobile. I have unlimited texting so turned off imessage on my phone to not incurr data charges/ usage. Now I can text to almost everyone including those with iphones, but with someone wlse with an i phone it is saying i must enable imessage and it wont send as a sms. I have 1 GB of data in the plan. does turning on imessage use very much data?

10 REPLIES 10

@kdh53, if you wish to not enable iMessage, I believe you can get your friend to change your contact info on her phone.  Change the reference from iPhone to Cell/Mobile.

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kdh53 wrote:

I checked and made sure the recipient with the iphone was a number and not an email. it;s weird because of all the other iphones in my contacts, she's the only one it won't send to unless i message is enabled and I can't hold and try to manually send as a text.

What you can try next is to send a new message to the phone number, and if that doesn't work, you may have to delete the thread and start a new one instead of using the existing iMessage thread.

kdh53

I checked and made sure the recipient with the iphone was a number and not an email. it;s weird because of all the other iphones in my contacts, she's the only one it won't send to unless i message is enabled and I can't hold and try to manually send as a text.

kdh53

thank you!

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Triguy wrote:

Texting does not use your data but you need to enable it inorder to send texts.

You don't need data enabled to send text. If you are sending pictures or video or to an e-mail address, only then would you need data turned on.

@kdh53do you have anyone from iMessage with an e-mail address instead of their phone number? iPad users wouldn't have a phone number, and I myself use an e-mail address for my iMessage because my e-mail address changes less often than my phone number. However, you can still reach these contacts if you leave your data switch to 'on' as above.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@kdh53 @srlawren   I should have added that in there.  Pictures aren't too bad but videos chew up data thru iMessage 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GR wrote:

@kdh53 iMessage doesn't use hardly any data, with 1gb plan Id leave it on and wouldn't worry about it 

@GR @kdh53 well, simple instant messaging is light on data.  However, if you send a lot of images or videos and so on, those will chew up data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kdh53 

Following the instructions in the following link to get your iPhone to send text instead of using iMessage.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/change-iphone-imessage-to-text

GR
Mayor / Maire

@kdh53 iMessage doesn't use hardly any data, with 1gb plan Id leave it on and wouldn't worry about it 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Texting does not use your data but you need to enable it inorder to send texts.

Need Help? Let's chat.