cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching from fido

gordonhwin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched from fido to public and am wondering how long it takes to cancel my plan on fido because my bill for it resets in a day

8 REPLIES 8

jvandyk

I switched just after getting a bill from Fido. I called as soon as my phone number was ported to Public Mobile, and they confirmed my account was cancelled. That said, I still have to pay that bill fully, wait for the next bill with a refund, then wait three more weeks for them to mail me a paper cheque, then deposit, then I will be done with Fido. Other than being an annoyingly long process to get to $0, it has been pretty simple and straightforward.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@gordonhwin wrote:

I just switched from fido to public and am wondering how long it takes to cancel my plan on fido because my bill for it resets in a day

@gordonhwin  The port from Fido should complete today and your Fido account will automatically close once the port is complete. Just continue to use your Fido sim until it stops working. Once that happens it means the port is complete and you can start using your PM sim card.

Welcome to Public!! Smiley Happy

rhiggs

I just helped a friend transfer over from Bell.  His service was disconnected within 30 minutes ... as I was on the phone with Bell waiting for the phone to be unlocked. ... (Didn't think it would have been that fast)

But like most have said, as soon as you get your service working with PM your Fido should automatically be cancelled.  If you're still worried, you can always call customer service at fido and ask if the service has been disconnected to ease your mind.  They would be able to tell you right away.

pcouturier
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Once your Fido number is ported to PM, Fido will close your account. You can always get a hold of them once your number is ported to be sure of it, but usually its not necessary.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Under normal circumstances you have nothing to worry about. There are certainly some stories about ports not completing properly but otherwise you should expect your port to complete and your FIDO account to be closed within a couple of hours. 

If you are not ported in 4 hours, contact :

Contact @Moderator_Team
It can take up to 48 hours for the team to respond to your concerns.

About @Moderator_Team

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
  • Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@gordonhwin hi are you in the process of porting your number? if so you must wait until port is complete then it will automatically close your account

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Did the same thing a year ago. Fido shut me down a couple of hours later on the same day I ported out to Public Mobile. So I woudn't worry. 

Need Help? Let's chat.