cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching back and forth between gadgets?

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello all,

I have two gadgets that can take a sim card.  One is a new-ish tablet and one is a really old flip phone.  I checked and both are said to work with Public Mobile (happydance).

Is it difficult to switch the card back and forth between the two?  Are sim cards very fragile that I'll bust it after a few swaps?

Also, the tablet takes a nano but the phone is so old it takes a full-size sim card.  Do I need to buy a converter or can I use the bits that came with the public mobile sim card?

10 REPLIES 10

scorpio17

I also used tape to fix it (only from side without contacts, of course).

@CannonFodder wrote:

@ichor  I bought a cheap(a couple of bucks) adapter set on Ebay a few years back, to have "just in case", and tried it out to swap the nano SIM from my wife's newer phone, back into her older phone, which uses a full size SIM, and it worked ok, but I've since found that the leftover bits from punching a nano SIM out of the full size SIM's punch card to be just as effective doing the same job.... you simply have to be careful in handling the SIM with the extra bits, and make sure it fits properly.

@ichor  I bought a cheap(a couple of bucks) adapter set on Ebay a few years back, to have "just in case", and tried it out to swap the nano SIM from my wife's newer phone, back into her older phone, which uses a full size SIM, and it worked ok, but I've since found that the leftover bits from punching a nano SIM out of the full size SIM's punch card to be just as effective doing the same job.... you simply have to be careful in handling the SIM with the extra bits, and make sure it fits properly.

ichor

I wondered about the adapters.  I saw some on amazon, but wasn't sure if they were worth the price.  I like the sounds of $5 better.

thanks for the suggestion. 

@ichor  I have switched my second SIM card back and forth between my dual sim smartphone and my flip phone whenever I need to have the use of two separate phones. Putting the nano SIM back into the original casing and slipping in back into the SIM slot in the flip phone can be a delicate fiddly process. You may want to purchase a more robust SIM card adapter that will be better at protecting the SIM card and make it easier to swap between devices. Available at places like best buy or the source for about $5 and online for as little as $1.

ichor

Thank you everyone. 

I'm feeling really good about choosing this carrier.  The community here is helpful.  

@ichor wrote:

Thank you so much.

If I change sim cards in the future, is it possible to keep the same phone number?

Yes.  Just go into the self serve account and do a SIM card change.  There is no impact on the phone number.  

Yes @ichor just replace the old SIM number with the new one from within your self service account. 

@ichor wrote:

Thank you so much.

If I change sim cards in the future, is it possible to keep the same phone number?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ichor , I can tell you that the middle ring is rather fragile and will become pretty loose if you have to snap it on and off all the time.  It is not a big deal if the phone does not use a sliding SIM tray to deliver the SIM card.  Worse case, you can force it out if there is any binding for SIM slots that are fully accessible.  Other than that, the actual SIM is very robust.  I have ever only used one SIM card on this service.  More than 3 years later and countless transfers from phone to phone, it still works fine.  There are a few screech marks on the SIM card but that is just cosmetic.  

ichor

Thank you so much.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@ichor As long as you be careful with the sim when swapping, there shouldn't be any issue. You can use the adapter that came with the sim to increase/decrease the sim size as needed. If you damage the sim, you can easily get a new one from Amazon or local retail stores for $10. All you need to do for the new sim is change the sim number in your account. 

Need Help? Let's chat.