cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switch fido phone number

xuanlong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

my wife has a public mobile service, but she didn`t use it often. I would like to switch my fido service to her public mobile service, and keep my fido phone number. Is it ok

Thanks

Dexin

12 REPLIES 12

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@oglat wrote:

@dabr @CannonFodder 

You can port in as many numbers as you want as soon as you want it.

You can pick new number only once every 30 days.

But when it comes to porting, there doesn't seem to be any limits as long as you provide correct info.

Last year one guy moved all his family 3 lines from telus to pm, he first opened 3 accounts with temp numbers then by mistake ported all 3 numbers to one account. Oooops

Ooops indeed!  Hopefully he didn't lose any of the ported numbers in the mix-up.  So it would seem there isn't any limit for porting numbers within a 30 day period, unless there was a glitch in PM's system which allowed that to happen?  Interesting nevertheless..

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dabr @CannonFodder 

You can port in as many numbers as you want as soon as you want it.

You can pick new number only once every 30 days.

But when it comes to porting, there doesn't seem to be any limits as long as you provide correct info.

Last year one guy moved all his family 3 lines from telus to pm, he first opened 3 accounts with temp numbers then by mistake ported all 3 numbers to one account. Oooops

@CannonFodderwrote:  Learn sumthin' new every day! 

That part never stops for any of us:)  Luckily!

@dabr wrote:

From what I understand is that yes you can still port in another number as often as you like as long as it's once every 30 days.

Ah, I've seen the mention of being able to change your number as many times as you like, but only once every 30 days, but I didn't realize you could "transfer" a number into an account more than once. 😮  Learn sumthin' new every day! 😉 

@CannonFodder wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@xuanlong  I'm a little confused about your question, but if you are asking if you can port in your FIDO # to your wife's PM account

That's how I read it.....

, then yes you can do that by selecting change number in her self serve account.

REALLY - you can do that!? I was under the impression that the "change number" function in the self serve was for simply changing numbers, OR for when you've just signed up, and taken a temp. number, and THEN want to port in a number from your previous provider. Can this actually be done, if, for example, his wife already ported a number from her previous provider, and that account was closed..... can he now port his number in to her account, thus closing his Fido account?

From what I understand is that yes you can still port in another number as often as you like as long as it's once every 30 days.

oglat

@CannonFodder 

It can definitely be done, I've only seen once public mobile account be shot down and that was totally by mistake, people exchange them like crazy

@dabr wrote:

@xuanlong  I'm a little confused about your question, but if you are asking if you can port in your FIDO # to your wife's PM account

That's how I read it.....

, then yes you can do that by selecting change number in her self serve account.

REALLY - you can do that!? I was under the impression that the "change number" function in the self serve was for simply changing numbers, OR for when you've just signed up, and taken a temp. number, and THEN want to port in a number from your previous provider. Can this actually be done, if, for example, his wife already ported a number from her previous provider, and that account was closed..... can he now port his number in to her account, thus closing his Fido account?

Edit - ok, since there's been some further replies, while I was typing, I guess this CAN be done. 😮 

oglat

Your wife should sign into her selfserve then go to

Plans and addons then to

Change my number then chose

Transfer number

She should key in your number and the form will show up

Make sure you put your voip or other house number as alternative so they can reach you if anything goes wrong

@xuanlong wrote:

Hi, 

my wife has a public mobile service, but she didn`t use it often. I would like to switch my fido service to her public mobile service, and keep my fido phone number. Is it ok

Thanks

Dexin

The names not being the same on the Public Mobile and Fido accounts doesn't matter. When you do the number porting, be sure to use the name of the person attached to the Fido account on the porting submission form.  If you're wondering if Public Mobile allows this, they do but as for if you wife needs to keep her phone number, you'll have to talk to her. Once you port in a number, your wife will lose her phone number.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@xuanlong You can bring your number over from within your wife's self service / my account.  To do this, your Fido account must be active.

@xuanlong wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks

Dexin

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@xuanlong wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks

Dexin

@xuanlong  I'm a little confused about your question, but if you are asking if you can port in your FIDO # to your wife's PM account, then yes you can do that by selecting change number in her self serve account.  Keep you FIDO account active until your number port is complete and then your FIDO account will close automatically.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@xuanlong wrote:

Hi, 

While I don't know FOR SURE whether or not that's doable, by a PM Moderator, I highly doubt it.

Having said that, you can for sure get another Public Mobile SIM and port your Fido number over to PM, thus keeping your number. If the wife doesn't need, or want her PM service anymore, you can simply cancel it.

Need Help? Let's chat.