cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting a new service

Ralsgrandma
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I purchased a public mobile sim card and minutes  and the technician at Walmart went through the set up process but was never able to satisfactorally complete it.  So I have a SIM card and $20 worth of minutes but cant use it.  He does not know what the problem is and told me my money is not refundable.  I received a welcome letter from Public Mobile and tried to log on to my account to try to figure out what is wrong but my phone cannot receive the text that they sent me.  What do I have to do to get my phone working?

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ralsgrandma glad you got it sorted out!  Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct explanation.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ralsgrandma

Thanks for all your input.  It turns out that the technician who inserted the new SIM had left the original SIM in one of the available slots, which must have taken priority.   I took it out and now the phone is working.  Thanks again for all your suggestions.

mimmo

@Ralsgrandma  have you tried selecting which network it is using and or swapping sim slots?

also it looks like dta will not work on LTE unless i got the wrong model 

https://willmyphonework.net/

Doogee X5  Carrier Frequencies Canada Public Mobile
2G Network:
Carrier Network does not support 2G

3G Network:

850MHz, 1900MHz
4G LTE Network:

Device does not support 4G LTE bands

Ralsgrandma

Thanks, I tried that link but it wouldn't accept my SIM number, I assume because it had already been registered.  I contacted the moderators 2 days ago, no response so far.  I am about to give up.

Ralsgrandma

I never thought about the possiblity that it had locked itself it to the first service I used. That may be the problem.  Thanks for that info.

It was marketed as Unlocked Smartphone DOOGEE X5 Dual Sim GSM International Phone - 5.0" HD IPS Display - Android 6.0 - MT6580 Quad Core  

IMEI   356446075606330

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@lat34hat34 wrote:

Hey there!

I'm sorry that happened to you. That really blows but I'll try to help.

Go here: https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Enter all of your information and that should help. I know you received a welcome letter already but it doesn't hurt to try. If all else fails, I would call Public and maybe they can fully activate it over the phone.

Sorry but there is no phone help for Public Mobile.  All help is done through this community forum and by private message to the Moderators.

r the phone.

lat34hat34
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey there!

I'm sorry that happened to you. That really blows but I'll try to help.

Go here: https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Enter all of your information and that should help. I know you received a welcome letter already but it doesn't hurt to try. If all else fails, I would call Public and maybe they can fully activate it over the phone.

srlawren

@Ralsgrandma I'm not sure if this is what happened or not, but some phone models that are sold as unlocked initially will actually lock themselves to the network of the first SIM card that is inserted into them.  It's possible the phone has locked itself to the international SIM card you were referring to.  Do you have any other active SIM cards handy--other than the international SIM and the Public Mobile SIM--that you could try in the phone to see if it accepts them?  For example if a friend or family member has a Rogers, Fido, Chatr, Bell, Virgin, Lucky, Telus, Koodo, Freedom Mobile, Videotron etc SIM card around, try borrowing it for a couple of mins to see if it works in the phone.  If the phone also rejects that card, and it truly does support 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G network frequencies, then you can conclude it locked itself when the international SIM card was used.

Alternatively:  do you have the brand and model number handy for the phone so we can help verify it's compatibility?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ralsgrandma

The phone was purchased from an independent store as an 'unlocked smart phone' not connected to any specific carrier.  Then I went on line and found SIM cards from an international carrier that permitted the phone to work in the US, Australia and New Zealand on several different carriers.  it is supposed to accept any carriers card as long as it is on a compatilble network.

Mytime
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Or bring the phone in to any carrier and they can unlock it for you 

@Ralsgrandma, the Moderators won't be able to assist until you get the phone unlocked if it is locked.

What carrier was it previously with?  You'll need to contact them to get a code to unlock it.

Ralsgrandma

thanks for the reply.  The phone is supposed to be unlocked, work on the 3G:850/1900/2100MHz.  band and when I checked the IMEI on Public Mobile it was approved.   I will have to contact the moderators.

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ralsgrandma wrote:

I purchased a public mobile sim card and minutes  and the technician at Walmart went through the set up process but was never able to satisfactorally complete it.  So I have a SIM card and $20 worth of minutes but cant use it.  He does not know what the problem is and told me my money is not refundable.  I received a welcome letter from Public Mobile and tried to log on to my account to try to figure out what is wrong but my phone cannot receive the text that they sent me.  What do I have to do to get my phone working?

Please note that Public Mobile is a 3G/4G(LTE) only network.  Meaning old phones won't work.  You also need to check that your phone supports the correct bands.

Public Mobile works on following frequencies: 

• For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 700Mhz/1700MHz/2100MHz bands

In addition your phone cannot be locked to other carriers. 🙂

mimmo

What phone are you using? It might not be compatable with public mobile

Ralsgrandma

No I do not see the Public Mobile network nor can I call out.  I will try the link you provided.  Thanks.

mimmo

If you message the mods include your sim number.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Some good posts/reads:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-") to find some great posts and answers to many common questions

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Ralsgrandma

When you put your SIM card in the phone, do you see the Public Mobile network display, signal?  Can you call in or out? 

You will likely need to contact moderator with the following link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

(include your phone number, account number and PIN)

Need Help? Let's chat.