cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed after data usage

hugolunas
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi guys, I'm recently moved to Canada from the US and over there I used to use a plan which after my total data usage my internet speed was reduced to 256kps, it was enough to keep "online status" but not really useful for normal utilization.

I wonder if the Public Mobile works in the same way, I would like to know if I finish my total data available my Connection goes 100% offline or I can keep being online at least in a slow speed mode?

9 REPLIES 9

@computergeek541 wrote:

Slow data is better than no data. Some will disagree with that, but that doesn't change the fact that something done over the internet will still work with a slower connection, but it will, in most cases, just take longer.

I disagree, somewhat. An increasing number of websites and internet services will not work with data speeds below a minimum threshold. Maybe they timeout. Maybe they just sever connection instead of being stuck with slowpokes who occupy servers but can't get enough ads per minute to be revenue-neutral. The internet is a strange world full of strange people doing strange things for strange reasons, but whatever the reasons it's increasingly denying access to slow data users.

But 256kbps is useful for audio/music streaming. For text-over-data and email communications (along with 2FA interactions based on them). For GPS map services (if you're prepared or you're patient, and not like you have much choice anyhow when you're desperately lost, lol). For logging into things like PM Self-Serve and PM Community.

The fastest "unlimited" data throttle available at third-tier pricing is only 128kbps. Not quite as useful for any of the above.

Faster "unlimited" data throttles are available elsewhere. But always command higher prices.

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Another option is to renew your entire plan early, too. It’s a good option for when we travel. Can adjust the plan according to our needs for the most cost-savings. Keep in mind, you’ll be forfeiting the rest of your plan, but at the same time resetting to day 1 for everything included in whatever plan you pick. 

@hugolunas 

Do you utilize all the ways to save data in your phone? Do you have your data saver on? Set the data warning and limiter? Is your WiFi assist off? Do you restrict all your background data?

I was able to do a 12 hour test of how much data you can save by restricting background data. The bf was using my sim card and was gone before I could restrict any background data or employ any data saving tools. Needless to say he burned thru the rest of the plan data that I had at least set to stop before using my add on data. Of the 150mb left on my plan 38mb was background data. About 25% of the data used was quietly being consumed in the background in about a 12 hour period. 

A another option to look at are apps that slow your data speed. Mostly used for streaming they can be effective for users of Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc...to achieve data savings of up to 50%. Check out datamore and others....save it upfront and you won't "need" unlimited slow data....

@Eillibsniknej wrote:

Yeah it will just stop but as the person above said you can look at add ons on top of your monthly limit. It’s only the big top brands that do truly unlimited data plan in that after a certain amount offer you the Slowed down instead of stopped option, but you’re looking at $75-$80 a month minimum for that kind of offer which is more than I’d want to pay. Cheaper to stay with PM and add on if needed

I'll add that many brands offer unlimited data at slower speeds. In Public Mobile's direct competive market, both Chatr and Lucky have that (as well as Freedom). So really, it's just Public Mobile who doesn't think this is important and this is likely much of the reason that many will find Chatr and Lucky to have more attractive plans.

Eillibsniknej
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah it will just stop but as the person above said you can look at add ons on top of your monthly limit. It’s only the big top brands that do truly unlimited data plan in that after a certain amount offer you the Slowed down instead of stopped option, but you’re looking at $75-$80 a month minimum for that kind of offer which is more than I’d want to pay. Cheaper to stay with PM and add on if needed

@Anonymous wrote:

@hugolunas wrote:

thanks buddy,

that sucks... I'll take a look in this options.

thanks anyway 🙂

You said yourself though that the way slowed down speed is nearly useless. So why buy into the marketing spin of unlimited data?

How often do you really actually go over? If it's just sometimes then the add-ons may be very useful. You just buy them once and they hang around until finished. Then buy one again.

And then wifi is practically everywhere.

Slow data is better than no data. Some will disagree with that, but that doesn't change the fact that something done over the internet will still work with a slower connection, but it will, in most cases, just take longer.

There are some websites use e-mail as a 2FA method, and you wouldn't be able to receive such e-mail messages without an intenret connection. I know that for mapping, maps can be pre-downloaded, but something such as Google Maps could still be useful to someone who hasn't done that ahead of time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hugolunas wrote:

thanks buddy,

thanks anyway 🙂

You said yourself though that the way slowed down speed is nearly useless. So why buy into the marketing spin of unlimited data?

How often do you really actually go over? If it's just sometimes then the add-ons may be very useful. You just buy them once and they hang around until finished. Then buy one again.

And then wifi is practically everywhere.

hugolunas
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thanks buddy,

thanks anyway 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hugolunas 

It simply stops.

There are add-ons available that can act as your overage and that stay on your account until fully consumed.

Need Help? Let's chat.