cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

someone else's payment

kumiko
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

2 unfamiliar payments have been deducted from my savings account for 21.83 & 72.80.

I assume these are someone else's payments.  My auto pay is authorized through my cheque account and being deducted each month.  How can I get this fixed?

17 REPLIES 17

kumiko

Thanks for that thought, GinYVR.  Me, too, I'm glad it has all been resolved and no damage done.   Truly appreciate the concern and support received.

@kumikoIt sounds like your CIBC account had been compromised. I am glad you got it figured out. Do put a credit watch on your account just in case.

kumiko

Thanks for the thought but, just to clarify......I have never had dealings with Virgin Mobile, not online or in stores, not a glance, not a word, not interested.  My cell service has only been through Telus and Public Mobile.

Don't forget to get Virgin to unlock your device - if necessary - before they decide they don't want to retain your business. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kumiko wrote:

A happy conclusion to this worrisome tale:

I spoke directly to a financial adviser at my local CIBC branch, explaining my delimma.  After considerable time investigating and determining the best course of action, a "stop-payment" was issued against Virgin Mobile, my bank account cancelled and re-opened under a new account and credited with the payments to Virgin.  I was told I need not contact Virgin Mobile.

The whole interview only took about an hour. 

This was my 1st foray into the Community and I'm glad for the experience,  It's a nice and welcoming Community.  Thanks all Smiley Very Happy

Glad to hear things look like they're heading the right direction.

Don't let anybody tell you there's no support here.

Come on by when you've paid off your device (assuming) and are looking for less expensive cell service.

kumiko

A happy conclusion to this worrisome tale:

I spoke directly to a financial adviser at my local CIBC branch, explaining my delimma.  After considerable time investigating and determining the best course of action, a "stop-payment" was issued against Virgin Mobile, my bank account cancelled and re-opened under a new account and credited with the payments to Virgin.  I was told I need not contact Virgin Mobile.

The whole interview only took about an hour. 

This was my 1st foray into the Community and I'm glad for the experience,  It's a nice and welcoming Community.  Thanks all Smiley Very Happy

No problem @kumiko , we all make mistakes and someone may learn something when they stumble into the thread in the future. So never a waste of time.

kumiko

Thanks chuck_grady,

Really appreciate your help and your information on SIMON is most helpful.

As you may see from my reply to Gorth, I make an apology for incorrectly assuming the payments were being debited by Public Mobile when, in fact, it was Virgin Mobile.

Trusting my bank and Virgin Mobile will correct this matter. 

I'm sorry I've wasted the time of so many thoughtful people who responded to my post.

kumiko

Thanks Gorth, I get your message.  I do protect my security fairly deligently, have Kaspersky installed, "nuke" the browser, no smart appliances, etc.

I now MAKE an APOLOGY.  Instead of panicking, I should have calmed down and looked at my bank statement more closely.  The payments are definitely someone else's but the debit has been made by Virgin Mobile, not Public Mobile.  I suspect an error in data entry as payments are exactly a month apart.  Nonetheless, on my way to the bank and contacting Virgin.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Definately contact your bank ASAP and I think it's time to create a support ticket. Explain your issue to SIMON, the ? comment box in the bottom right. Use as few words as possible to allow the BOT to understand you better.SIMON

Answer his questions until you get to here:Create a support ticket

Click on Submit a ticket and the Moderator team will take over your case and respond to your concern within 48 hours. May take longer, but the promise of the new Ticketing System was that it will reduce these wait times.
About @Moderator_Team

Change the PINs and passwords on your bank card, credit credit, online money stuff, email accounts, phone lock screen, voicemail, and Public Mobile account.

Change your WiFi and network passwords. Disconnect any "smart" appliances which don't really need to be linked into your money and your life. 

Scan your computer and your phone for spyware. Nuke all your browser cookies. Maybe install an antivirus, adblocker, cookie autodelete, etc to help keep the trash out. 

Get and share the transaction info with the bank and Public Mobile, etc.

I think it's someone you know or someone opportunistic - because a stranger would rob you blind - but best to take no chances. 

You may or may not get your money back but you can prevent more from leaking away. 

kumiko

Thanks for your advice, GinYVR.  Past my bedtime, so will follow through tomorrow.  Will see my bank manager first before trying the card centre and also chat with SIMon.  Truly appreciate your taking the time to help.

@kumikoSince I assume you are using Visa Debit, you should contact your card centre which is open 24/7 instead of going to the branch, they usually just tell you to contact the card centre anyways. You should contact a moderator via SIMon for the quickest response. click on the ? on the lower right hand corner and type Contact Moderator.

kumiko

You read my mind GinYVR, I'm heading to my bank tomorrow.  As for Public Mobile, who and how do I contact for optimum results?

@kumikoI think you should alert your bank and also Public Mobile just in case.

kumiko

No other PM accounts, just the original $25 plan on my Visa debit which is attached to cheque account only so I don't understand how my savings account was accessed.  And, no, I have made no changes or purchased add-ons.  Thanks for your quick reply.

@kumiko wrote:

2 unfamiliar payments have been deducted from my savings account for 21.83 & 72.80.

I assume these are someone else's payments.  My auto pay is authorized through my cheque account and being deducted each month.  How can I get this fixed?

I am assuming that you have no other Public Mobile accounts attached to your Visa Debit account?  Did you do any plan changes recently or purchase any add-ons that required you to make a top up?

Need Help? Let's chat.