cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should the temporary number still show up in my phone settings?

JamesP46
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently got started with PM (very happy so far :smileyhappy:), and followed the process described in the community and on the PM site for porting a land line to new cell phone. The process seemed to go as described.

All working as expected. Only question is - when I go to the cell "about phone" it references the temporary number I created (before the land line was ported over), and makes no reference to the number ported over.

If I call the temporary number, i get the message "this number is not connected...." (also as expected).

Anything to do here?

Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JamesP46 

I would agree with others not to care. I did a number change on an account and the shown number didn't change. Did all the usual procedures that are known around here to no avail. Like you it showed to the world as the right one.

I tried to change number on another account and I got an error. The mods were able to get that going and as an aside I asked them about the incorrect number showing. They did something and it got fixed.

But that was just a week or two before the world went for a %&^*. ie. just a couple weeks ago. With reduced staff on hand, maybe wait for a real problem to bother them with.

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Anything to do here?

- You can try shutting down your phone. Try your sim card on another phone. Then put it back.

Anything to be concerned about?

- Not at all as your phone service is working well.

@JamesP46  Maybe try shutting the phone off, removing the SIM for a few minutes, re-install, and start up again, and see if THAT makes any difference..... probably not, but couldn't hurt to try it.

@JamesP46 wrote:

Outgoing call to another phone that has call display shows up correctly.

Restarting the phone appears to have no effect - the temp number still referenced on the sim card

I would just ignore it. This will have no effect on your service. As I was saying earlier, that number displayed is almost entirely cosmetic. What's important is that Public Mobile has the correct phone number assigned to your account, which they do.  I wouldn't recommend contact the moderators about this unless it is affecting your service as they are currently short-staffed.

I undestand that if you're verifying a phone number for some messaging applications, this could cause an issue, but that's not always the case.

If you have an old BIS/BES-type Blackberry (before Blackberry OS 10), you can edit the phone number saved on the sim card. Order versions of Android also allowed you to do this via an app but I believe that you'd have to go all the way back to a phone running Android 2.2 or so.

JamesP46
gblackma: no - restarting didn't make a difference

JamesP46

Outgoing call to another phone that has call display shows up correctly.

Restarting the phone appears to have no effect - the temp number still referenced on the sim card

@JamesP46 Did restarting your phone force the new number? Thanks.

@JamesP46 wrote:

I recently got started with PM (very happy so far :smileyhappy:), and followed the process described in the community and on the PM site for porting a land line to new cell phone. The process seemed to go as described.

All working as expected. Only question is - when I go to the cell "about phone" it references the temporary number I created (before the land line was ported over), and makes no reference to the number ported over.

If you call your number and it rings, that means that number porting is done. The phone number displayed in "about phone" is read from the sim card. However, for the most part, the information displayed there is purely cosmetic.  I would make an outgoing call to another phone that has call display and ensure that the correct number shows. The phone number that is written to the sim card is sent by the network. Sometimes, simply restarting the phone can cause this informaiton to be immediately sent to your sim card through the cellular network.

Need Help? Let's chat.