cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup voicemail before or after number porting?

andy123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am planning to port-in my phone number soon. (using a temporary number right now)

Should I setup voicemail before I do the number porting, or should I setup voicemail after doing the number porting?

7 REPLIES 7

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@andy123  Doesn't matter when you setup your VM as it is associated with your account and not your number.

Edit: @andy123  Why not try it and report back with the results. Associating VM with a phone number instead of an account number is just bad design/programing.

@tyedye00 wrote:

Welcome to the community.

I second the top comment at the moment. Yes! Setup your voicemail post migration! I believe that there is also a way to set it so that you don't need a PIN to sign in to VM all the time. 😃

Hi, If you check your voicemail from your PM phone line, you will not be required to enter a PIN each time.

However calls to your voicemail count towards your airtime. So if you have a limited calling plan (either the $10 or $15 plan), you can save on your minutes by checking your voicemail from a landline or VOIP line.

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Welcome to the community.

I second the top comment at the moment. Yes! Setup your voicemail post migration! I believe that there is also a way to set it so that you don't need a PIN to sign in to VM all the time. 😃

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@andy123 

You need moderator help to port your number.  Type "Port Request" and follow the prompts to get to one. Give them the name on the account,  phone number to port and the old providers account number.  There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  Stay safe. 

Welcome to PM .

rhbcc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ohh didnt know that.

But from experience I always do it right after I port it to ensure a seamless VM setup and catch issues early on

@andy123 wrote:

I am planning to port-in my phone number soon. (using a temporary number right now)

Should I setup voicemail before I do the number porting, or should I setup voicemail after doing the number porting?

When I first came to Public Mobile, I didn't test this out, but I learned the hard way at a different carrier. At least at some carriers, performing any type of phone number change wipes out the old voicemail account (even deletes any voice messages).

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @andy123 

If you're not expecting any calls on your temporary number, you can setup your voicemail after porting.

BTW as a result of ongoing back-end maintenance, the function to port a number to your Public Mobile SIM within your self-serve account is temporarily unavailable.

To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator.

Here is the PM announcement with full instructions to follow: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

Need Help? Let's chat.