cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

settings for roaming

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

after adding a roaming plan, do roaming and data settings need to be turned on and apn settings changed while in the states for just texting and voice and no data plan? I am under the impression that they would just apply to data and not text or voice. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Geo, thanks for your detailed solution...much appreciated!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a wrote:

after adding a roaming plan, do roaming and data settings need to be turned on

@Canlan54a  As others have mentioned you should always leave roaming on, even when you are in Canada. You will also need to keep data on whlie you are in the US if you have  US data roaming add-on or if you want to send MMS via text. My recommendation woulf be to keep roaming and data on while in the US even if you don't have a US data roaming add-on.

and apn settings changed while in the states for just texting and voice and no data plan?

No, you will never need to change APN settings even when you have a US roaming data add-on.

I am under the impression that they would just apply to data and not text or voice.

That is correct. If you have US roaming call and texting only add-on.

Thanks

@Canlan54a wrote:

after adding a roaming plan, do roaming and data settings need to be turned on and apn settings changed while in the states for just texting and voice and no data plan? I am under the impression that they would just apply to data and not text or voice. Thanks

For most phones, the only setting that needs to be checked is for data roaming to be on.

APN (for data) and SMSC (for text messaging) should not be touched. You should use the Public Mobile settings for both.

As for the network settings, people will some people manually select AT&T or T-Mobile as per their preference, but this usually be necesary if the network type and network selection are set to automatic.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a   Yes the APN are required for data, if you're only going with a text/call plan then just enable roaming.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a wrote:

Yes do enable roaming and data when you go state side.  If your phone doesn't automatically connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile, then you will need to manually connect to one.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

As long as you have the APN settings for PM then just enable roaming.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a hi you can just leave roaming on all the time since there are no surprise or extra charges anywaySmiley Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.