cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set up

cjshepard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On set up I typed in my email address of my home computer, and i typed one letter wrong. does this really matter and how doI change it.?

2 REPLIES 2

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It definitely matters. Email addresses are unique identifiers. You need to use your exact address, not a best guess or something that's off by a character or two (an anecdote on this point will follow.) Any time you need to verify yourself or reset a password or something, you won't get any email notification. In fact, someone else could very well have the email that you "erroneously" signed up with, and then they'll get all the notices for stuff you signed up for. (Again, read on for the anecdote.)

You should contact support to get this fixed. Click the speech balloon then type "ticket" and from there you can open a ticket.

A side note: My first name begins with an "m" and I have a common last name. I've gotten emails from Mikes, Marys, Meghans, etc with the same last name, all because they thought their email was just their first initial and last name @gmail.com. I received banking related info, holiday bookings, info with other contacts, etc. I wrote each person and let them know it didn't fall into the wrong hands but it easily could. For accounts, I could've easily said "forgot password", get the new one in my email, sign up and hijack their account in the span of a few seconds.

The lesson of this anecdote is: be careful, use your actual email (1-2 characters off could go to someone else quite easily), change passwords frequently, etc. More people are home now so there are more potential bad actors that will gladly take your data. Hope this cautionary tale finds you well and I answered your question! 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@cjshepard Yes, it does matter as you will need to use that email address to login. Please contact the mod team to get it changed. 

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Need Help? Let's chat.