cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Sign in to network / Public Mobile" notification

mdking
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A "Sign in to network / Public Mobile" notification has been on my phone for a few days. Google searches only work when I'm on wifi, so I presume it's a data issue. My plan is coming up for renewal on March 20. It's very difficult to check my data usage on my account page (I searched for quite a while).

Assuming that my data had run out, I purchased a 1 GB data add-on. But this didn't seem to rectify the situation. So, now I'm at a loss.

I've been using a Pixel 3 since before Christmas, but only recently has this notification appeared.

22 REPLIES 22

@bonshua, if you're in the US, that $20 data package should be working, if you've enabled data-roaming, and have allowed your phone to look for other carriers, AT&T and T-Mobile specifically.

If you're not in the US, that Roaming Data package is not usable in Canada.  You will want the $30 1GB add-on.

As for the 200 Mb addon (Canada) did you add it twice?  It's a two-step process, as are all add-on transactions via the website.

bonshua
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I"m having the same issue. I added 200MB for $10 and then 1GB for $20 and it still hasn't helped the issue. The transactions showed up on my credit card so I know they went through...Not sure what to do next

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

The data included in your plan should continue to show until it's reset in your next renewal, regardless of whether you've used it up or not.  The data from add-ons is harder to figure out how to handle but I'd suggest leaving those visible at 1,024/1,024 MB used (or 200/200) until the next renewal date as well, and then clearing them then.

@srlawren 

I think I'm fine with the add-ons just disappearing from the overview. They're just add-ons. Why they still show up in the lower page I dunno.

I agree that plan data should show consumed/total all the time and of course resetting to zero at renewal.

@Anonymous  yeah the plan data at the very least needs to stay till renewal. Maybe the add-on could stay for x days (7?) after used up, just so that peole can sign into to confirm when the data stops flowing that this was the reason.

@srlawren Oh. maybe that's why it stays on the lower page. 🙂 I haven't checked to see if it eventually drops off there too.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

The data included in your plan should continue to show until it's reset in your next renewal, regardless of whether you've used it up or not.  The data from add-ons is harder to figure out how to handle but I'd suggest leaving those visible at 1,024/1,024 MB used (or 200/200) until the next renewal date as well, and then clearing them then.

@srlawren 

I think I'm fine with the add-ons just disappearing from the overview. They're just add-ons. Why they still show up in the lower page I dunno.

I agree that plan data should show consumed/total all the time and of course resetting to zero at renewal.

@Anonymous  yeah the plan data at the very least needs to stay till renewal. Maybe the add-on could stay for x days (7?) after used up, just so that peole can sign into to confirm when the data stops flowing that this was the reason.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@srlawren 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mdking wrote:

I don't find the wording on the account page very helpful. It would be nice if it gave data usage as a percent, or said 12 GB of 12 GB used.

I do see on my partner's account page a line indicating exactly how much data has been used and how much is remaining. Why don't they keep that line accessible and simply update the numbers to show that everything has been used up?

@mdking trust me, we feel your pain.  The community has been asking Public Mobile to change this since before I joined the community (in the fall of 2015).  There is no sign of this changing anytime soon, sadly.  The good news is that once you're aware how it works, it's pretty easy to tell how much data you've used when it's showing, and that you've used it all when it disappears.  The bad news is that this is not intuitive at all, and throws off just about everyone that runs into this situation. We see this a lot in the community.

@Alan_K @Brooke_C just reminding you that many years later, the used up data amount dispappearing from the Overview page continues. to. frustrate. everyone. Please, change this design.  The data included in your plan should continue to show until it's reset in your next renewal, regardless of whether you've used it up or not.  The data from add-ons is harder to figure out how to handle but I'd suggest leaving those visible at 1,024/1,024 MB used (or 200/200) until the next renewal date as well, and then clearing them then.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mdking

Thanks for everyone's help.

I don't find the wording on the account page very helpful. It would be nice if it gave data usage as a percent, or said 12 GB of 12 GB used.

I do see on my partner's account page a line indicating exactly how much data has been used and how much is remaining. Why don't they keep that line accessible and simply update the numbers to show that everything has been used up?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mdking wrote:

No, the 1 GB was purchased successfully. I know how to add money and then purchase something.

Ah yes right. Then you used it up too.

mdking

No, the 1 GB was purchased successfully. I know how to add money and then purchase something.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.49.27 PM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@mdking wrote:

So, is the 'Amount Used' text telling me I've used all my data?

So it isn't showing any data here so to me it is saying that you have used it all up.  One of the weird things is that on one page it showed you had a data addon but not showing here. 

I agree it is weird. I've had the 200mb add-on and used it up. It no longer appeared on the overview but it did still appear on the other page. I trust the overview more.

@mdking wrote:

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.34.17 PM.png

So it isn't showing any data here so to me it is saying that you have used it all up.  One of the weird things is that on one page it showed you had a data addon but not showing here. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mdking wrote:

The data line(s) would look like those. The fact that you have neither tells me you've used all of your 12gb and that you didn't finish purchasing the 1gb add-on correctly.

@mdking, from that picture it looks like you have used up your plan data but I do see the addon there.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mdking

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.34.17 PM.png

@mdkingOn the main page of your account, in the left hand colum, there is a section called My Data & Addons, it shows your your total data usage, if it doesn't show any data then you have used it all.

Check the data settings on your phone or a data monitoring app (if you use one) to see if you have it set up to automatically block your data connection when you reach the limit you set.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mdking wrote:

OK, once again. My plan has 12 GB of data and I've purchased a 1 GB data add-on.

What I'd like is a way to determine how much data I've used. Clicking on 'View my usage' doesn't give me any summary, just a list of all the calls and texts I've made in reverse chronological order.

Back to the main overview. Down lower. There should one or two lines indicating data. There *may* be neither showing.

mdking

OK, once again. My plan has 12 GB of data and I've purchased a 1 GB data add-on.

What I'd like is a way to determine how much data I've used. Clicking on 'View my usage' doesn't give me any summary, just a list of all the calls and texts I've made in reverse chronological order.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.27.35 PM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

And further to the above...you would see two numbers. One of how much consumed and the other of your available total.

If you did it right you might now see the 1gb. And then possibly or not your 12gb in another line.

Edit: @mdking and restart the phone.

@mdking wrote:

I have a plan with 12 GB of data. How do I check whether I've used up all that data?

I couldn't find a way to check, so I went ahead and purchased an add-on of 1 GB data, but that didn't change anything.

Log on to your self serve.  On the main overview page down on the left hand side is add-ons.  If you see data listed there you have some left if no data is showing there you have used it all up

mdking

I have a plan with 12 GB of data. How do I check whether I've used up all that data?

I couldn't find a way to check, so I went ahead and purchased an add-on of 1 GB data, but that didn't change anything.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mdking wrote:

A "Sign in to network / Public Mobile" notification has been on my phone for a few days. Google searches only work when I'm on wifi, so I presume it's a data issue. My plan is coming up for renewal on March 20. It's very difficult to check my data usage on my account page (I searched for quite a while).

Assuming that my data had run out, I purchased a 1 GB data add-on. But this didn't seem to rectify the situation. So, now I'm at a loss.

I've been using a Pixel 3 since before Christmas, but only recently has this notification appeared.

If you login to the selfserve and on the overview page down on the left side there is an addon section.  If you don't see any data amount there that means you have used up all of your data.  Now purchasing addons is a two step process.  If you haven't done the two steps you will probably see an amount in your Available funds.  

Purchasing addons is a two step process.  Here is a great tutorial on how to purchase addons created by @srlawren  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@mdking wrote:

This means that the connection to the data network is setup but network not allowing the connection.  It could mean out of data or system thinks you are.  People who don't have data in plan will also see this message unless they turn off data in phone setting.

Need Help? Let's chat.