cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"SIM network unlock PIN" but phone is unlocked

BforBrian
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just picked up a Sony Xperia Z3 from a local phone shop and they told me it was unlocked. When I popped the Public Mobile SIM card in to the phone and fired it up, it said "SIM network unlock PIN". I dismiss it for now to search for answer. I go in to settings and there is an option to pull up a list of "Service Providers", with Telus being there at the top and a couple others being BELL and Rogers. So I press on Telus and it just tells me that it isn't available after a minute or so of trying to register to the network.

I've checked the IMEI on the Public Mobile 'Getting Started' page and it says it's good to go and I also checked it on another site.

I've seen a few peoples threads that are similar to mine but haven't been able to find a solution.

24 REPLIES 24

@France101 wrote:

So i contacted Samsung and got my phone unlocked now i am asked for a SIM network unlock PIN,,,I have contacted my old provider 5 times they are telling me sim no needs to come from new provider as the phone is unlocked,,,I am kind of lost not sure what do to now

If your phone is asking for that, it is not unlocked. Unlock codes come from the original carrier or maufacturer, and not from the new carrier.

France101
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So i contacted Samsung and got my phone unlocked now i am asked for a SIM network unlock PIN,,,I have contacted my old provider 5 times they are telling me sim no needs to come from new provider as the phone is unlocked,,,I am kind of lost not sure what do to now

em70

That turns out to be correct!

I called my old provider and they told me that they (Speakout) never lock the phones.

But then I googled this and saw people saying that initially unlocked Samsung phone purchased not directly from Samsung (in my case it was Staples) will lock itself to the first SIM card inserted. I called Samsung and had the unlock code in 20 minutes, so now I'm able to make calls and this is solved.

@em70 wrote:

Mine is not - the phone is unlocked, I borrowed a FIDO SIM and inserted into my phone - was able to make calls, browse etc. So the phone can be ruled out. Same goes for the phone # - called the old provider, they have no locking, and the phone # doesn't exist on their side any more - has been transferred. PM Web portal shows everything fine, even incoming calls being redirected to the voicemail. But I've never received those calls, obviously.

Sorry, but your phone is not unlocked.  The message with the prompt "sim network unlock pin" confirms this fully.  As for your phone working with both Speakout and Fido sim cards, that isn't a good way to test unlock status.  Very old phones will work with only one of Fido or Rogers sim cards without being unlocked, but most relatively recent Rogers or Fido phones will work with a sim card from either even if the phone is locked (iPhone devices being the exception).  You will need to get your phone unlocked.

em70

Mine is not - the phone is unlocked, I borrowed a FIDO SIM and inserted into my phone - was able to make calls, browse etc. So the phone can be ruled out. Same goes for the phone # - called the old provider, they have no locking, and the phone # doesn't exist on their side any more - has been transferred. PM Web portal shows everything fine, even incoming calls being redirected to the voicemail. But I've never received those calls, obviously.

BforBrian

Mine was solved immediately by contacting the people who sold me the phone. They were able to call back in a few hours and gave me a 16 digit code (your might be a different length) to punch in to the phone at start-up. As soon as I put the code in, it connected right to the network, didn't even have to restart.

em70

I'm also getting this prompt for the PIN.

I have an unlocked phone, used with 2 diff sims ok, but when I inserted freshly activated PM sim it's asking for SIM unlock pin.

Account has been activated 2 days ago, phone number has been transfered and confirmed as such from Speakout Wireless, they do not lock user phones - confirmed with them.

As for PM SIM - I have purchased online from PM, and received SIM card via mail couple of weeks ago, so just inserted it now for the first time.

Also checked the phone itself with Phone INFO *Samsung* - indeed shows as unlocked.

Private messaged MODs, have been waiting for their reply for a day and a half now.

What else to do?

sdt1

@BforBrian wrote:

Chose this as the solution because it answered the most of my questions of all of the posts, but pretty well all of the posts had the same jist.

I contacted my phone provider and within a couple of hours they were able to get back to me with an unlock code. It instantly connected to the network and we are all good to go.

Appreciate everyone helping me. 🙂

Glad your phone provider could get you the code @BforBrian, and appreciate the comments about the solution. Happy to help! Cheers.

I am not a Moderator. Please do not send me private messages with your personal information.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

BforBrian

Chose this as the solution because it answered the most of my questions of all of the posts, but pretty well all of the posts had the same jist.

I contacted my phone provider and within a couple of hours they were able to get back to me with an unlock code. It instantly connected to the network and we are all good to go.

Appreciate everyone helping me. 🙂

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello,

Thank you for your reaching out to us.

In order to better assist you with your SIM network unlock PIN, please send us a Private Message.

Cheers

Abdoulaye

It seems used phone salesmen are the new version of last century's used car salesmen.  Referring to the dishonest swindling stereotype, of course, not to the professions (or professionals) themselves.

@BforBrian wrote:

How can I find out which service provider the phone is locked to?

Shouldn't it only be telling me the one service provider the phone is locked to, not a list of options if my phone is locked? That's what I have gathered from guides around the web so far.

In the network connections settings, it will show all available networks that the phone can see (even of networks that you can't use with your service), even if the phone isn't unlocked.

@BforBrian wrote:

I just picked up a Sony Xperia Z3 from a local phone shop and they told me it was unlocked. When I popped the Public Mobile SIM card in to the phone and fired it up, it said "SIM network unlock PIN".

Sorry, but your phone is absolutely locked to another carrier (other than Telus).  Get the shop to unlock it for you or insist on returning it for a refund.

@BforBrian Phones locked to Telus/Koodo will work on Public Mobile, so it's one of the other carriers. Unfortunately, the phone does not tell you which; that can only be discovered by trying an active SIM from every carrier.

Since you have activated a PM SIM, you could go back to he store and try it in various phones to find one that is unlocked.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

sdt1

Duplicate reply, please disregard.

sdt1

Duplicate reply, please disregard.

sdt1

My reply post wasn't saving, or so I thought, so I kept resubmitting..lol. Now I see all my posts were saved. Not sure what went wrong, but apologies for the duplicates.

sdt1

@BforBrian wrote:

I just picked up a Sony Xperia Z3 from a local phone shop and they told me it was unlocked. When I popped the Public Mobile SIM card in to the phone and fired it up, it said "SIM network unlock PIN". I dismiss it for now to search for answer. I go in to settings and there is an option to pull up a list of "Service Providers", with Telus being there at the top and a couple others being BELL and Rogers. So I press on Telus and it just tells me that it isn't available after a minute or so of trying to register to the network.

I've checked the IMEI on the Public Mobile 'Getting Started' page and it says it's good to go and I also checked it on another site.

I've seen a few peoples threads that are similar to mine but haven't been able to find a solution.

Hey @BforBrian, and welcome to PM! If your phone is network locked, you can get it resolved (unlocked) without the need for the SIM of the original carrier. Click on the link below for instructions to check to see if it is network locked. It most likely is, given the scenario you described. The reason you still get a list of networks available, is that all phones can scan for available networks, despite to which network the phone is currently locked. This is because phones are often able to roam on another network. However, the phone must not be locked to a particular network, in order for any inserted SIM to allow nework registration. If you are unable to exchange the phone for an unlocked version for which you thought you had ordered, then the next best bet is to use a service to provide you with an unlock code. Hope this helps! Cheers.

Click Here

I am not a Moderator. Please do not send me private messages with your personal information.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

Be aware that too many (10 or so?) incorrect password attempts/guesses might permanently brick the phone (to resist methodical brute-force attacks).  If this happens then only the original carrier can restore it ... and they may refuse to do so if you are not the "original" owner (with the original receipt) who purchased it from them.

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes, definitely contact the shop that you brought the phone and ask them to unlock it for you. I had this same problem when switching to public mobile. My carrier locked phone had to go through a huge set of different customer support levels until it finall got the correct code to unlock the phone. 

BforBrian

When I go in to About Phone it says

Mobile network type: Unknown

Service state: Out of service

Mobile network state: Disconnected

I mean, I'm not about to go out and by 4 different SIM cards and throw them all out when I figure it out. There must be another way. I'll be sure to contact the local shop tomorrow. An unlocked phone is what I paid for.

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BforBrian If you have all providers sim cards you can find it out. Just need rogers, bell sim. As Telus same as PM. Also, I think you have to contact Rogers or Bell to unlock that phone for you

BforBrian

How can I find out which service provider the phone is locked to?

Shouldn't it only be telling me the one service provider the phone is locked to, not a list of options if my phone is locked? That's what I have gathered from guides around the web so far.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey BforBrian!

Thank you for your comment! Unfortunately when a phone asks for a "SIM network unlock PIN" means that the mobile is locked.

Please go back to the shop and ask for the unlocked code. 

Cheers! 😉

Celsina 

Need Help? Let's chat.