cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No Service" on iPhone 8 Plus, tried two different SIM cards

barto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I haven't bothered to try porting my number over yet - doesn't make sense until I can get this working first.

The iPhone should be unlocked - I've used an international SIM card in it so I think that proves the point...  right?

My account has been created, phone number assigned, auto-pay set up (and I added extra funds after seeing that mentioned in another thread).

I also tried changing the SIM card number (to the same one, again saw that mentioned in another thread).  

Also turned off Automatic Network selection and selected Public Mobile.  

Still "No Service".  

Same in two other iPhones that are unlocked, although on those I got a pop-up message saying that "this iPhone has not been activated".  I don't get that message (or any message) on my iPhone 8 Plus.

Mods have suggested a number of things, tried a few things on their end, and asked me to buy another SIM card.  Did that, used self-serve to change the SIM, still "No Service".  Mod did some kind of 'activation' thing on their end, still no change.

My referrer found this thread that got resolved by having the mods open a support ticket, but is there anything else I should be trying while I await that?  (Request was just sent, so another 2 day wait most likely)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/No-Service-on-iPhone-7/m-p/285286#M21...

Thanks!

39 REPLIES 39

barto

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@barto wrote:

Still "No Service".  

What do you see for "Carrier" under Settings --> General --> About?  Seeing Public Mobile 36.0.1 here would confirm that:

• You have latest iOS
  • iPhone was able to read SIM carrier, and subsequently download configuration profile

Was this recommended/tried?  Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings?  It gets rid of profiles and some other things that can get in the way of a working network connection.  The downside is you'll have to re-establish WiFi credentials, etc.

If you could put in a different (non PM) SIM, and see that Settings --> General --> About --> Carrier changes accordingly, then that's a good indicator that it's truly unlocked.

With answers to the above, that will steer next steps...

YES, I do see "Public Mobile 36.01" immediately when I pop the SIM in.

I had seen in other threads the mention of Resetting the Network Settings, but I was thinking of that as a last resort so I don't lose all my WiFi credentials and such.  

Are we at that as a last resort?

Thanks!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@barto wrote:

@popping wrote:

@barto 

CalgaryBen last on this forum was in June.

Read his post on Cellular Data Blocked by Network Profile(s)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323130/highlight...

Once I get past the "No Service" thing, I'll definitely be looking at that - thanks!

He was talking about how to clear the network profile.  You used a local SIM card while you travel.  It does not hurt to try it.  The following is from the last paragraph of his post:

"Alternatively, you can delete everything in one fell swoop via Settings --> General --> Reset--> Reset Network Settings --> (passcode if prompted) --> Reset Network Settings (to confirm).  The phone will clear settings and reboot, and you'll be back to defaults.  Sorry, you'll also have to re-enter your WiFi credentials, etc."

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@barto wrote:

Still "No Service".  

What do you see for "Carrier" under Settings --> General --> About?  Seeing Public Mobile 36.0.1 here would confirm that:

• You have latest iOS
  • iPhone was able to read SIM carrier, and subsequently download configuration profile

Was this recommended/tried?  Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings?  It gets rid of profiles and some other things that can get in the way of a working network connection.  The downside is you'll have to re-establish WiFi credentials, etc.

If you could put in a different (non PM) SIM, and see that Settings --> General --> About --> Carrier changes accordingly, then that's a good indicator that it's truly unlocked.

With answers to the above, that will steer next steps...

barto

@popping wrote:

@barto 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323130/highlight...

Once I get past the "No Service" thing, I'll definitely be looking at that - thanks!

popping

@barto 

barto

@GinYVR wrote:

It sounds like your account was not provisioned properly hence No Service. That you will just need to be patient and get Moderators to fix it for you.

Yeah, been a week now so it's definitely a challenge to adjust to the 48 hour delay for mods to try or suggest something in-between.  Would love to get going on this and save some money from my Zoomer plan, but patience is the key.  Was just wondering if there was something else I could be doing on my end while I wait, but it seemed like a long shot...  Smiley Happy

This must be a rare thing, though, for an account to not be provisioned properly...  ("why me??"  Smiley Tongue )

barto

@GinYVR wrote:

@bartoIf you get the message "Your iphone is not activated" you would want to connect via Wifi or if you have a computer connect via USB with iTunes.. to get your phone connected to the internet so it can verify its activation status with Apple.

Just to clarify - I only get that message when putting in the Public Mobile SIM on our two other iPhones, and they were both on WiFi at the time.  When I swap back to their original SIMs (Speakout) there's no problem, no message.  

But I thought it was worth mentioning as it was different from trying the PM SIM in my own iPhone 8 Plus.

Thanks!

popping

@CalgaryBen,

You are the iPhone expert here. Please help @barto to solve his iPhone issue.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@bartoIf you get the message "Your iphone is not activated" you would want to connect via Wifi or if you have a computer connect via USB with iTunes.. to get your phone connected to the internet so it can verify its activation status with Apple.

It sounds like your account was not provisioned properly hence No Service. That you will just need to be patient and get Moderators to fix it for you.

Yes don't port your number until you get everything working.. you don't want to muddle the water any more than it is.

Worst case scenario, you can always walk into an Apple Store and get the Genius to look it over for you.. that's what they are there for.

Need Help? Let's chat.