cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

public mobiles future

gerard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i keep getting special offers from koodo who claim to be the sister company of public mobile, i dont have any reason to switch already but have read online that public mobile maybe getting phased out come october ...is this true? should i switch to koodo

18 REPLIES 18

I used to do remote desktop support for my employer, and still get the chance when I'm working with co-workers on non-IT related issues.  Sometimes it's so much easier to say share your screen with me, and I'll talk you through it.

@daredogg wrote:

@will13am you're right, it wouldn't be a big deal to do maintenance on behalf of my parents... I will consider what you're suggesting, especially with the current plan offerings. They use to live in Ontario (where I am), but have moved to BC. I find doing support is a little more cumbersome now, as where before, they'd bring their devices over and I'd fix them. For their computer, I log on remotely and do what I need to. I wish I could do the same with their phones, but I don't think there are remote apps available?

I too lament the lack of a remote desktop capability for phones.  Believe it or not, my account support included looking after someone living in BC.  It is not as easy but it can be done. 

@will13am you're right, it wouldn't be a big deal to do maintenance on behalf of my parents... I will consider what you're suggesting, especially with the current plan offerings. They use to live in Ontario (where I am), but have moved to BC. I find doing support is a little more cumbersome now, as where before, they'd bring their devices over and I'd fix them. For their computer, I log on remotely and do what I need to. I wish I could do the same with their phones, but I don't think there are remote apps available?

@daredogg wrote:

@will13am those are all really great reasons to stick with PM! Thumb Up

Last month, my dad decided to upgrade to an iPhone 8 through Koodo. I was at the mall with him, helping him upgrade. I asked the Koodo rep about Public Mobile, and he said the same, "I think they're going to be closing." Rumours for sure. It just shows you how little the reps know about their sister companies. I wanted to switch my parents over to PM, but I just know if there's a problem, my mom will want to phone someone... and maybe I don't want it to be me! Robot wink

What's wrong with mom leaning on son from time to time?  Prior to the big Koodo exodus in February/March, I was doing admin duties for many accounts.  It was a breeze.  I don't recall ever leaving anyone with a disconnected service. 

With the ongoing referral bonus, I think you should invite the parents over to Public Mobile.  You can take the parents out for lunch and enjoy a meal on Public Mobile. 

@will13am those are all really great reasons to stick with PM! Thumb Up

Last month, my dad decided to upgrade to an iPhone 8 through Koodo. I was at the mall with him, helping him upgrade. I asked the Koodo rep about Public Mobile, and he said the same, "I think they're going to be closing." Rumours for sure. It just shows you how little the reps know about their sister companies. I wanted to switch my parents over to PM, but I just know if there's a problem, my mom will want to phone someone... and maybe I don't want it to be me! Robot wink

@dna2016 wrote:

@gerard PM is not going anywhere at this time.  Just look at the amount of promo deals happening right now as a good indicator.  But I believe some users have already mentioned it's not PM that's exiting, it's PC  https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/24/pc-mobile-loblaws-exiting-postpaid-wireless-plans/.

If PM was exiting they would not be taking on any new customers, and they would have announced this months ago.  To me looks like PM is here to stay, unless Telus decides to only carry 2 tiers.  If you're getting the service you need from PM then I recommend staying because Koodo does not offer loyalty credits, referral bonuses, autopay credit, and community rewards.  Having the plan you need and the ability to reduce your payments dramatically is a win win in my opinion.

Also add better customer service to the list of advantages for Public Mobile.  I am going against the grain here to say that having a toll free number does not always equate to better service.  Because Koodo has more moving parts so to speak, the need for customer service interaction is higher.  I regret it each time.  I don't enjoy their selection of music and if they make me wait on the phone that long, I should be given a premium spotify account, lol. 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am guess people keep confusing PM with PC.  Understandable I guess considering I'm sure most people would know about PM than they would PC

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/24/pc-mobile-loblaws-exiting-postpaid-wireless-plans/

dna2016

@gerard PM is not going anywhere at this time.  Just look at the amount of promo deals happening right now as a good indicator.  But I believe some users have already mentioned it's not PM that's exiting, it's PC  https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/24/pc-mobile-loblaws-exiting-postpaid-wireless-plans/.

If PM was exiting they would not be taking on any new customers, and they would have announced this months ago.  To me looks like PM is here to stay, unless Telus decides to only carry 2 tiers.  If you're getting the service you need from PM then I recommend staying because Koodo does not offer loyalty credits, referral bonuses, autopay credit, and community rewards.  Having the plan you need and the ability to reduce your payments dramatically is a win win in my opinion.

gerard

i think your right , I now i think i was confusing a couple different articles including pc mobile and public mobile. didnt really realize that there was a pc mobile here as well

jdesaumarez
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think the confusion here is with PC Mobile [Loblaws]. PC Mobile is to be merged into Koodo in October 2018, not Public Mobile [PM].

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Fingers crossed that there are many more years of PM to go lol 

Agree with everybody's previous comment.  As long as Public Mobile makes a decent profit and competes against the other lower tier options, it will be available.  If in the future, they do decide to shut down, Telus would likely offer a competitive plan with Koodoo.  Telus would not want their PM customers to go to other lower tier services like Lucky Mobile, Freedom, Chatr, etc.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Back when I was in Chatr, they also send me offers to switch to Fido or Rogers.

In short, all Big Three basically wants us to move onto higher tiers, but they don't have plans to close down the lowest tier either. If it earns them money, they wouldn't easily do it.

dna2016

@gerard 

As @stonechucker mentioned usually if you're hearing this from Koodo staff it's just their way of trying to get you to switch so they get a sale on their board.  I'm sure many of us who follow the industry would have heard something by now on this.  And to phase out a company in October it would have already been announced, it's not easy to phase out a company in 3 months.  

@Luddite makes a good point, if there's no actual article on this from a reputable source then I'd just ignore all this chatter.  I'm sure Koodo has really nice plans, but I'd rather have a plan that suits my needs and gives me the ability to reduce my bill (auto pay credit, loyalty credit, community reward, referral credit)

PM is not shutting down this October.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@gerard wrote:

i keep getting special offers from koodo who claim to be the sister company of public mobile, i dont have any reason to switch already but have read online that public mobile maybe getting phased out come october ...is this true? should i switch to koodo

Article links please.

Simply rumors, that's all it is.

Koodo vendors like to promote the rumors because it helps sales for them.  *IF* Public Mobile were to close down, I'm sure we would be notified first, here in the Community.

brenwilliams80

Well, Telus owns both Koodo and Public, so if they're going to "phase out" one they would do it both. I would think. There is little to no difference between the 2 as far as I can see. But it's little things like the 2.00 off a month for auto-pay that makes me lean towards Public.

Need Help? Let's chat.