cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

protections for porting out the number

canadrian1999
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Any protections for porting out the number to a different carrier?

Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@geopublic wrote:

@canadrian1999 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@will13amMy impression of SIM jacking is the target usually had been "cased" and deem to have something valuable to the perpetrator..  eg revenge, crypto wallet etc. I think it is the havoc that causes more stress than the end result. The bread crumbs can be obfusticated too, since getting a SIM card like Lucky etc is relatively easy and anonymous.

I highly doubt Public Mobile can do much with stopping port outs since it is an automated process and other providers have to agree to a changed protocol too since it is porting is supposedly an automated process. eg if Public Mobile ask for another password.

Can PM ask for another "port out" password or pin? that I can set with PM?

Thank you all or input.

@canadrian1999  You have every right to be concerned. In today's world sophisticated criminals if they have a choice between your wallet or your phone they would take the "control you phone" option 9 out of 10 times.

The answer to your question is unfortunately No. I have made requests in the past for PM to implement an account lock feature where I would be able to make a request to have my account locked so that porting and/or resetting my access by a moderator would be forbidden since it is obvious the moderator is the weakest link in the chain. This feature would only be available upon request so other less concerned customers will not be impacted

The fact that PM does not have a direct line to deal with SIM jacking and identity theft is alarming due to their current support system in place. The reality is it can take days before you can notify them. Most people are naive to think that because they have strong passwords and good habits they are protected. It only takes a creative criminal a little bit of charm to sweet-talk a moderator in resetting the account password.

Unfortunately the chances of this feature being implemented is zero to none. The only way something gets implemented is if it comes from higher above (Federal Government/Privacy Commissioner/CRTC) to force providers to implement it. 

This is concerning to read. 

canadrian1999

@geopublic wrote:

@canadrian1999 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@will13amMy impression of SIM jacking is the target usually had been "cased" and deem to have something valuable to the perpetrator..  eg revenge, crypto wallet etc. I think it is the havoc that causes more stress than the end result. The bread crumbs can be obfusticated too, since getting a SIM card like Lucky etc is relatively easy and anonymous.

I highly doubt Public Mobile can do much with stopping port outs since it is an automated process and other providers have to agree to a changed protocol too since it is porting is supposedly an automated process. eg if Public Mobile ask for another password.

Thank you all or input.

@canadrian1999  You have every right to be concerned. In today's world sophisticated criminals if they have a choice between your wallet or your phone they would take the "control you phone" option 9 out of 10 times.

The answer to your question is unfortunately No. I have made requests in the past for PM to implement an account lock feature where I would be able to make a request to have my account locked so that porting and/or resetting my access by a moderator would be forbidden since it is obvious the moderator is the weakest link in the chain. This feature would only be available upon request so other less concerned customers will not be impacted

The fact that PM does not have a direct line to deal with SIM jacking and identity theft is alarming due to their current support system in place. The reality is it can take days before you can notify them. Most people are naive to think that because they have strong passwords and good habits they are protected. It only takes a creative criminal a little bit of charm to sweet-talk a moderator in resetting the account password.

Unfortunately the chances of this feature being implemented is zero to none. The only way something gets implemented is if it comes from higher above (Federal Government/Privacy Commissioner/CRTC) to force providers to implement it. 

Wow, big flaws, it's time to request at least an "account block"

Thank you all.

@canadrian1999 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

Thank you all or input.

The fact that PM does not have a direct line to deal with SIM jacking and identity theft is alarming. Due to PM's current support system in place, the reality is it can take days before you can notify them. Most people are naive to think that because they have strong passwords and good habits they are protected. It only takes a creative criminal a little bit of charm to sweet-talk a moderator in resetting the account password.

@canadrian1999I highly doubt Public Mobile will add a feature ahead of their higher tier ed siblings. It is what it is.

canadrian1999

@GinYVR wrote:

Thank you all or input.

@canadrian1999 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Are you trying to keep your number at PM or are you trying to stop a port into PM from another carrier?

I remember a short while back an ex-boyfriend caused anguish against a PM customer and basically locked her out of her PM account - and may have canceled the plan a took her number. 

I don't know the circumstances of this particular case but you may want to provide more details so we can give you some better answers

I am trying to prevent someone to port my number out from PM, let's say if they know my name and account #

The person doing such a deed would leave a pretty visible cookie crumb trail right to their front door.  That is the protection against someone hijacking a phone number. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you don't mind losing your current PM account (lose any referal/loyalty credits) you could port the number out yourself to another prepaid service, then port it back into a new PM account. It would cost a bit of money but you would gain back control.

If you can wait for the mods to get back, that is probably the best course of action.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kselmak a port requires one of the foowing: pin number,  account number or imei

Plus your number and name. 

You could mis spell your name in selfserve, as a precaution.

But if someone gain access to selfserve they will have access to your name and account number. 

Report it stolen and talk to moderators

They can help you change pin

Make sure they can't get your password.

Act fast

Put urgent I the subject line

They shouldn't be able to do it without pin they wood have too reach out to mods about it, so you should give them heads up

canadrian1999

@smp99 wrote:

Are you trying to keep your number at PM or are you trying to stop a port into PM from another carrier?

I remember a short while back an ex-boyfriend caused anguish against a PM customer and basically locked her out of her PM account - and may have canceled the plan a took her number. 

I don't know the circumstances of this particular case but you may want to provide more details so we can give you some better answers

I am trying to prevent someone to port my number out from PM, let's say if they know my name and account #

@canadrian1999 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, anyone can port your number out, if they have the correct information to do so.  The simplest way is to use the account number and telephone number.  I suggest keeping your personal information safe.  Including shredding any paper copies of bills, using encrypted files and file transfer software/protocols, and in general, keeping secure passwords.

And no other protections to prevent porting out the number?

Thank you all.

I guess, just keeping info safe that's all

Not different from other cell providers either

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

canadrian1999

@stonechucker wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, anyone can port your number out, if they have the correct information to do so.  The simplest way is to use the account number and telephone number.  I suggest keeping your personal information safe.  Including shredding any paper copies of bills, using encrypted files and file transfer software/protocols, and in general, keeping secure passwords.

And no other protections to prevent porting out the number?

Thank you all.

@canadrian1999 wrote:

No other protections?

Well it's protected there is a pin and account number and also other info you provide during the port

But i assumed you initiated port and changed your mind, in that case if you can log in that would probably be fastest way to stop it

And then there is support team that may be able to do something after if number belonged to telus house

canadrian1999

No other protections?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Report it stolen in selfserve

To port number your account must be in good standing, suspending it t÷mporarly should do the trick

Need Help? Let's chat.