cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting phone number question

newuser1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

I recently switched over from Virgin Mobile to Public Mobile. When i activated my SIM card, i used the option of "transferring your phone number". Once my registration had been completed, I contacted Virgin Mobile about my cancellation and they said I have to contact Public Mobile so we can port my phone number properly. Also, I am able to contact others under Public Mobile. However, friends and family cannot contact me. What am i doing wrong?

Thank you,

B. 

9 REPLIES 9

newuser1234

Thanks everyone! 

@newuser1234Yes.. however the wrinkle now is what did Virgin do when you call them. Sinceu both accounts have to be active during the transfer, if Virgin cancelled the account because of your call during that period, your port will be stuck. You will need to contact them to reactivate the account and try again.

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes. I never had to call Virgin, i just got the last bill and paid the remainting balance. Account closed by itself. 

newuser1234

so what you're saying is, once the porting is complete. This automatically means whatever plan I had with Virgin Mobile will be over? Just gotta pay the remanining bill?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@newuser1234 wrote:

oh shoot! I switched over to Public Mobile like 2-3 hours ago. Do i have to do anything on my end for Virgin Mobile?  

Just wait for Virgin to release your number.

FYI:  Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is 2 - 3 days.
https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

saeliux

@newuser1234 wrote:

oh shoot! I switched over to Public Mobile like 2-3 hours ago. Do i have to do anything on my end for Virgin Mobile?  

No need to contact them. You will receive a prorated bill from them. Mine was calculated to the day of the port. 

newuser1234

saeliux

The porting is not instantaneous. It takes few hours. I ported from Virgin before. Just needed to enter all the info, wait and good to go. I didn't use the phone until porting was complete

How long have you waited so far?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@newuser1234How long ago did you start the port (it should take at most a day). You shouldn't had contacted Virgin Mobile to cancel (it is done automatically).

Most importantly if you put in your Virgin Mobile SIM card is it still functional? ie display service? That means the porting is still ongoing.

Need Help? Let's chat.