cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting number

minnow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all I just set up my wife's phone..and no luck porting her number.. I gave up and am leaving her number as is. I would like to port my number I have the card but do not want to go through the head ache and find that it can not be ported cause I really need this number. If I put my number here could  a moderator please tell me if it can be ported . number is ...

Thank you in advance.

edtied by computergeek541: phone number removed

28 REPLIES 28

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

@Linda01 

You need moderator help to port your number.  Type "Port Request" and follow the prompts to get to one. Give them the name on the account,  phone number to port and the old providers account number.  There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  Stay safe. 

Welcome to PM .

Linda01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My Koodo number didn't port to Public when activated 

How do I do it

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@seniorsv 

Sorry to hear about your porting troubles. You should have posted here 3 months ago, we could have helped you figure it out back then.

Your port failure may be caused by:

- submitting incorrect Fido account info. to Public Mobile, or

- a port protection "lock" placed on your Fido account which you forgot to disable before porting, or

- in rare cases, Telus/Public Mobile may not operate in your area, and therefore cannot accept this number (coincidentally, the original poster of this thread encountered this problem).

As for having spotty data connection on PM, that may have to do weak coverage at your location(s) or your phone.

If you can explain you situation in more detail we will be able to better assist you.

@seniorsv currently to port your number you need to contact the moderators. Use this private message link to contact them directly. Type "Port Request " in the subject message field 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there. Once it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue.
If you need to, you can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email. Go to your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Use this link to see what is required to port your number https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

Note: Make sure there are no antifraud port locks on your number and that your Fido account is active before initiating the port. Stay safe. 

seniorsv
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It is useless to call Telus, all we get is useless kindness... I have been unable to port my number from FIDO to Public Mobile for 3 month and have been paying both services and using just one... What I get from Public Mobile is a cheap service, most of the times without internet connection available and circular information that wastes my time and get me back to the starting point...

fujiyama

@minnow 

In that case, I think you should look into porting your landline (now Tbaytel) number over to VOIP instead. That will be even cheaper than PM, and you will be able to use this number for calling in and out from anywhere as long as you have internet. Since you have 17gb/month, you'll be set.

minnow

Hi ..I just ported my landline to my T-Baytel cell.. My old cell  had only $ 20 dollar package...100 min ..unlimited text. I use my Mexico number for all my calls out.. and data.. It works great up here..except when people want to call me...cost them big time.. I did not know if porting my landline to make it my cell with that number ..the package is not enough ..so I wanted to set it up with Public..way better rates.  My Mexico sim has unlimited talk text North America and 17 gigs of data..but hard for people to call me.  I have a dual sim card phone with both sims active which works really well for me.. But Public would be way better than T-Baytel.

Thanks for info...will look at their prepaid packages.

@minnow wrote:

Hi it is T-Baytel out of Thunder Bay and I am in Dryden..Ontario ...

Sorry, but as @fujiyama  was saying, Dryden phone numbers cannot be transfered to Public Mobile. Telus Mobility does not offer phone numbers for this location and they're not allowed to port phone numbers in from there.  In short, don't spend any time trying because it isn't an option. I don't even believe that you could transfer in a phone number from Thunder Bay to Public Mobile as Telus Mobility doesn't offer phone numbers there either. Bell Mobility and Rogers Wireless can port in a phone number from Dryden, but unfortunately not Telus.

What you can do at Public Mobile is take a new phone number from a different city, but others who are calling you might have to pay long distance to reach you.

fujiyama

@minnow 

Looks like you won't be able to port your number... Dryden is not on the list when I tried to change numbers within SelfServe.

Telus does not have numbers for Dryden. 

You can port both of your original numbers over to a VOIP service (for incoming and outgoing call/text) and keep PM for outgoing and data only, if you don't mind the extra work of such a setup.

What is your phone usage like? Tbaytel prepaid might fit your needs fine. They have free incoming text and a 20gb data addon that's good for one year. Great option if you don't use calling much. Using a VoIP number to call out for free also works with this setup.

@minnow wrote:

It is a local number Here in Dryden. I would like to move it to Public..but don't want to activate if I can't. I have the sim card already..just in a holding pattern to see if it can  happen. Is there any way I can find out  if it can be ported to Public ?

Did you input your number into the box in the link that @fujiyama  posted on Page 1?

That, and you've posted a few times as though you're replying to someone specifically, but it's unclear who you're replying to..... maybe try using the "@" symbol, and a list of the names that have posted in this thread will pop up, and you can choose the right one, OR type that symbol, and start typing their name(if they don't show up on the popup list), and when their name shows up, choose that.

minnow

No I have only activated my wife's account..She is now willing to have the number from Public...on the other hand I have had my number for 30 years.. and just ported it to my cell from a land line to cell on T-Baytel in Thunder Bay which is postpaid plan..  It is a local number Here in Dryden. I would like to move it to Public..but don't want to activate if I can't. I have the sim card already..just in a holding pattern to see if it can  happen. Is there any way I can find out  if it can be ported to Public ? If I can't .. I have to chose a number from the closest place ( Kenora ) which is 187 klm away...so the local land line calls will be all long distance for the caller. I hope this makes sense to you...lol 

Thanks for your time Rick

@minnow Yes the private message link that I provided puts you in contact with the moderators ( PM customer service) And the other link tells you what information you should provide to facilitate the port.

minnow

Are you talking about the staff on here ?? If so that is why I started this conversation..Thanks

@minnow  you can contact the moderators directly through private message here  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Since you are having problems using Simon. Type " Port Request " into the subject field. Use this link to see what is required to port your number  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

minnow

Hi I have tried all that put all info in got a green submit box ..but it would not send..Wife is going to keep her new number...Just means..local land line calls will be long distance as the only number I could choose was from Kenora.

minnow

Oh..forgot it is a postpaid plan..

minnow

Hi it is T-Baytel out of Thunder Bay and I am in Dryden..Ontario ...

@minnow  to clarify, you have activated both accounts with temporary numbers and would like to contact the moderators to port, and you are having problems with Simon right? 

minnow

Hi I went to the site you posted...got error site is not available..If that is the one you submit a ticket..it has been no help.

minnow

Hi...I knew the number is not suppose to be on here ..but frustrated with Simon..at that point I did not care..sorry . The place is Dryden Ontario.

fujiyama

Your wife's number can still be ported over,  others have explained this. As for your number, for a quick check you can use this link: CLICK HERE

Note: This link is from Koodo so it can only serve as an indication, it is not 100% accurate.

To get the official answer from Public Mobile regarding your number, you will have to contact the Moderators.

Seahorse03

Input your old number, carrier, account number with the old carrier when you sign up on public mobile.

Wait for a few hours, try shut off and restart your phone.

if it still doesn’t work, call 1-866-558-2273 Telus and tell the agent that you would like to port the number, they are able to check if the porting has been through. 

Rusty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

aaah yeah I remember getting my first number. It was sick! That was back in like 2002? I still remember that number as well. You remember that song Jenny? Yup! That was me... 867-5309

Pawprints1986

If you're nervous of losing your number (like I was) I activated with a temporary new number and then had the staff do the port for me. I had the same number since I've had a phone so my number is important to me too 🙂

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@minnow  porting a number can be done 2 ways at activation ( unless Koodo prepaid which requires moderator help) see article on how to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

or after signing up with a temporary number, currently with moderator help, see article on how to port  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

So, you can still port your wife's number over. In both cases account must be active to port.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@minnow  First of all, you should edit your post(click on the 3 dots, in the top, right corner of your post, and choose the "Edit" function), and remove your phone number..... this is a public forum where ANYBODY can get your number, and maybe start sending you all kinds of crap you don't want. Ninja'd YET again! 🙄

As for porting, with a few exceptions, most numbers can be ported. Which provider are you currently with, and is your account a prepaid, or postpaid plan?

@minnow wrote:

Hi all I just set up my wife's phone..and no luck porting her number.. I gave up and am leaving her number as is. I would like to port my number I have the card but do not want to go through the head ache and find that it can not be ported cause I really need this number. If I put my number here could  a moderator please tell me if it can be ported . number is ...

Thank you in advance.

Please go to www.publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat and type in "port request". 

I've removed the number from your message for privacy reasons, but which city is this phone number from again?

Need Help? Let's chat.