cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting number to PM from Fongo

Bryan27
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did not receive a txt from fongo to confirm request to port my number to PM. Do I get PM to resubmit request to Fongo??

13 REPLIES 13

Bryan27

It's Fongo Mobile. I spoke to PM porting dept. They confirm the number has been ported. I have sent a text to fongo stating that the transfer is authorized and that the number was previously ported to Fongo from Koodo so it is not a fongo originating number. /so far no response.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I tried fongo specifically for short codes for things I didn't want having my real number. It was a no go

In my experience the short code has to come from a full 10 digit number for it to go through, and that's with fongo, TextNow, etc. Anything from say 6 digit sender won't work. At least not for free. Companies are getting smart too. Some even somehow detect and decline "burner" numbers for 2fa - there's a few sites that offer this. 

You'd think with companies seeing people going to all these lengths to try to avoid using their real number that they'd come up with an alternate way besides sometimes a phone call to the same number you don't want to give out... 🤷 it makes sense to need it for bank accounts, but Instagram? Really? 

Bit of a tangent I guess, but yeah, be careful re short codes and fongo numbers, it may not work

they said 5 business day but we saw that it could be 7 or more.

did you call the porting team and see if they can provide the status?  I will message you the number via Community inbox

Bryan27

I originally got my number from Telus then went to PM then to Koodo then Fongo and now PM. My PM account info has been updated showing my ported number but nothing works. It's been 5 days but Fongo considered a land line so I guess it may be a couple more days. I did not respond to the Fongo text as it stated "received a request from another carrier to port your number. If you did NOT initiate this port out request please contact fongo support immediately.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

So you had a paid subscription to be able to Text on Fongo?

Not currently,   

To receive short codes or SMS on Fongo, you dont need to subscribe the text package ($9.99 / 3 months).   Free incoming text.  Only outgoing cost money.   I only pay when i really need to text from that number.

@softech wrote:

i would say if OP been in Fongo long enough and porting is free.. just port into PM first and see if confirmation code and 2FA works.  If not, then get a new PM number

Right, like I originally mentioned. 

Also, maybe the number OP has with Fongo is not Fongo's afterall.  I have a Rogers number, ported into  Fongo years ago.   Will "bring it alive" (port out) later when I need it.

That is a very good point. But OP is not responding. 

and yes, Fongo is not very friendly with short codes.  Worst part is some work some don't.  I would be fine if it ALL not working. But just some work, very hard to keep track.

So you had a paid subscription to be able to Text on Fongo?

i would say if OP been in Fongo long enough and porting is free.. just port into PM first and see if confirmation code and 2FA works.  If not, then get a new PM number

Also, maybe the number OP has with Fongo is not Fongo's afterall.  I have a Rogers number, ported into  Fongo years ago.   Will "bring it alive" (port out) later when I need it.

and yes, Fongo is not very friendly with short codes.  Worst part is some work some don't.  I would be fine if it ALL not working. But just some work, very hard to keep track.

@softech wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@

So once into PM....it will still appear as a number originally owned by and will return to Fongo if PM account is closed.  

yes, OP is leaving Fongo and using PM soon.

Got it.

but what you meant by "once into PM, it will still appear as a number originally owned by (Fongo)"

Numbers are assigned (owned) by carriers. See here 

So the number will appear to still be Fongo.....why would any one know that it was ported to PM?

Even it was a Fongo owned number, if it is now in PM , he should be able to get FB, craiglist authentication code, isn't it?    Even FB code not working, other bank 2FA should work , isn't it?

I don't think so.

You asked OP to reconsider, you meant he should get a new number from PM instead?

Yes, get a PM number or port from Telus, Rogers, Bell etc. If OP has issues then OP can take a new number from PM. The only thing is....will the OP remember this and associate it to any problems like setting up accounts using the phone number?

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@

So once into PM....it will still appear as a number originally owned by and will return to Fongo if PM account is closed.  

yes, OP is leaving Fongo and using PM soon.

but what you meant by "once into PM, it will still appear as a number originally owned by (Fongo)"

Even it was a Fongo owned number, if it is now in PM , he should be able to get FB, craiglist authentication code, isn't it?    Even FB code not working, other bank 2FA should work , isn't it?

You asked OP to reconsider, you meant he should get a new number from PM instead?

@softech wrote:

.. he is porting into PM, so he will be able to get 2FA soon  🙂

Ahhhh no....  I have a Fongo number and many wont accept it. Perhaps I should not have said 2FA. For a FaceBook account.....they will not accept a Fongo number to receive a code to complete the account. Ditto for Craigslist. So once into PM....it will still appear as a number originally owned by and will return to Fongo if PM account is closed. I believe Fongo is considered a VOIP provider so the port time can be a longer wait for competition. The OP may have a rough go in some cases....and will have no idea as to why.

.. he is porting into PM, so he will be able to get 2FA soon  🙂

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Bryan27 wrote:

I did not receive a txt from fongo to confirm request to port my number to PM. Do I get PM to resubmit request to Fongo??

I would reconsider that. Some companies know that Fongo is a free service with free number. And they will NOT do any 2 FA using those numbers.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Do you have Fongo Mobile or Fongo Home?

Either way, Fongo might not need to ask you to reply the text.  Did you try to reach out to Fongo to confirm the step?

Also, porting from Fongo , even Fongo Mobile, should take 5 business days or so as this is not a true mobile provider

Need Help? Let's chat.