cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting from Bell corporate

hamiltonian1981
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Called Bell today to move my corporate plan to an individual plan prior to porting over and was told I could not port my number. I thought there was a CRTC law that forbade this?

Feels like my number is being held hostage by Bell even though the 2 year contract is up. Anyone have issues like this before?

14 REPLIES 14

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hamiltonian1981 wrote:

Called Bell today to move my corporate plan to an individual plan prior to porting over and was told I could not port my number. I thought there was a CRTC law that forbade this?

Feels like my number is being held hostage by Bell even though the 2 year contract is up. Anyone have issues like this before?

There could be several reasons you cannot do this for your corporate plan and some examples are as below:

1. you are not the authorized corporate account holder

[work around: get the authorize account holder to call in and put a note within the system that they authorize the port; if it's a large corporate account with payments done using purchase orders etc., you'll need to fax this in using corporate letter head]

2. there maybe a minimum number of users required to be a corporate account

[there's no simple work around to this]

3. corporate plan is still under contract

[work around: pay out the remainder of the contract for your phone number; for Bell, you can goto any store and do a payment to do so (you don't need to be the corporate account holder to make this payment against your number), after breaking the contract; go back to step 1]

@hamiltonian1981 wrote:

Since it's my mom's phone I don't want to risk any technical issues with porting over. When doing the self-serve thing at PM, if the port fails does my existing Bell account and number remain intact?

Unfortunately, there's no 100% way to guarantee a trouble-free switch over.  I would say make sure you use the authorized Bell account owner's name and the Bell account number on the Public Mobile number portability form.

The good news is that if a number porting request fails, nothing is supposed to happen to your phone number.  Everything is suppoesd to remain intact at Bell until the phone number has been fully transfered over.  This doesn't mean that there can't be strange things that happen, only that if Bell rejects the Public Mobile porting request, the number at Bell is supposed to keep working there.

@hamiltonian1981 wrote:

Hi @hamiltonian1981 , I see that you or your family member is  still considering coming to Public from a few months ago.  It's sounds as if you've finally decided. 

To me, it's sounds if Bell could just be messing around with you as a tactic to not lose a customer.  Bell actually does some funny business in the sense that they sometime purposely block port outs until the customer phones them and tells them to release the nubmer.  They do this as a last minute attempt to try to convince the customer to stay.

If you are authorized to make changes to the Bell account, I can see any reason for them to deny the ability to transfer a phone number out to Public Mobile.

I would just go ahead an set things up with Public Mobile, but as others have said, take a new phone number at first.  Then use the self-serve account to make the porting request. If there's a problem during the transfers, or if the Public Mobile self-serve system gives you an error message, you'll have to contact Moderator_eam privately to submit (or fix) the number transfer request. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@hamiltonian1981 wrote:

Since it's my mom's phone I don't want to risk any technical issues with porting over. When doing the self-serve thing at PM, if the port fails does my existing Bell account and number remain intact?

@hamiltonian1981  The best strategy is to activate the PM sim with a temp number make sure everything works well on your mom's phone and themn setup the port.

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hamiltonian1981 From my experience, in the worst case it will give an error saying that it cannot be ported (I cannot remember the exact wording of the error) and you'll have to contact the moderators. 

But if you want to be double sure what I would do is to private message the moderators so that they could help you directly. Here's a link to an older post that mentions the process and has a link to the private message form. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Porting-number-from-bell-issues/m-p/1...

Again from my experience the moderators will assist you within around 24 hours. 🙂 

hamiltonian1981

Cheetah24

@hamiltonian1981 : Okay if that's the case did you try porting your number using the self serve at public mobile? Just verifying if you've tried that since in your original post you haven't mentioned that. 

hamiltonian1981

I sent in a form email to both the corporate plan provider and Bell. CRTC rules state pretty clearly that all mobile numbers are portable in this country.

hamiltonian1981

No reason. I checked on Rogers website and put in the phone number and it came back saying unable to port. There's no outstanding balance or anything. 

@hamiltonian1981 wrote:

My corporate plan. I've got like 4 numbers and want to move them out when the 2 years are up. Forego the new phone experience for a cheaper monthly plan.

@hamiltonian1981  Don't blame you. Do you have a Bell rep assigned to your account, maybe worth a try Smiley Happy

Cheetah24

@hamiltonian1981 : Did Bell give a reason as to why they cannot port? They normally give a reason; for example it could be some remaining balance that you have to pay off. 

hamiltonian1981

My corporate plan. I've got like 4 numbers and want to move them out when the 2 years are up. Forego the new phone experience for a cheaper monthly plan.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@hamiltonian1981 wrote:

@hamiltonian1981  Was it your corporate plan or someone else's? 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hamiltonian1981 wrote:

Call again.  You may get another CSR will do it for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.