cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ported number from koodo question about the goodbye emial

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

received my goodbye letter from koodo (my personal line is back with PM )  but it stated:

Here’s what to expect on your final bill:

• Recurring charges that are billed in advance at the beginning of your billing cycle will not be refunded when your service is cancelled. This includes your monthly plan and any add-on charges.

does this mean i will not get refunded/credites  for my unused time?     i thought we were supposed to be prorated for unused time, the kicker is my new cycle started yesterday or today).  or am i confusing one thing with something else?

11 REPLIES 11

@srlawren wrote:

Is this a recent change that you have to call them after to get things prorated?  I thought this just happened.  It's been a long time since I last ported out of a post-paid plan (when I left Telus for PM in fall of 2015 I believe), but this was all automatic then.  My undertsanding of how it works is the same as what @computergeek541 has said--it should all just happen and you should NOT have to do anything after the port completes successfully.  You guys now have me second-guessing what always tell people when they ask here in the community.

I also thought it would it would have been automatic, at least when it comes to the billing adjustment.  I do not doubt that you would have to chase the carrier to request a refund cheque.  Such a refund cheque would be required if you paid your previous bill. 

Funny enough, if you wait until the next blling cycle for the final bill that you receive after you port out from Koodo to make a payment, they'll actually charge you a late charge (even for the monthly plan charges that would have been refunded).  It would minimize the likelihood of needing to wait for a refund by cheque.

When I was talking about the ability to wait until the next bill but just eat the late charges and only pay that last bill after proration was taken care of, it did occur to me that when calling in to Koodo to get things refunded manually,  an account credit would post immediately. By doing it this way, the credit actually gets that amount marked as paid.  But sometimes, customer service won't want to do this and will just say to let it get taken care of the next invoice.  This could be because when the next billing cycle comes around, the proration would happen automatically and the customer will end up receiving a double refund (erroneously).

srlawren

Is this a recent change that you have to call them after to get things prorated?  I thought this just happened.  It's been a long time since I last ported out of a post-paid plan (when I left Telus for PM in fall of 2015 I believe), but this was all automatic then.  My undertsanding of how it works is the same as what @computergeek541 has said--it should all just happen and you should NOT have to do anything after the port completes successfully.  You guys now have me second-guessing what always tell people when they ask here in the community.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mimmo wrote:

Yup just chatted with koodo. I actually don't mind their new system. Spend a couple minutes with their version of Simon( don't really like theirs or ours) to get to a contact us, where they schedule a call back.  You pick a time and they call you.

I now have to call back after my final bill next month to get it prorated. Seems silly but at least they will prorate it.

It's pretty messed up that it isn't automatic.  Like I said, they are required to refund these prorated charges.  They are not allowed to require users to give advanced notice of a service cancellation, and charging for a postpaid plan for days of service that won't be provided has been ruled to equate to the same thing.

When it comes to that e-mail that says that they will not prorate a refund for unused days of service, I suspect that e-mail message is left over from before the Wireless Code was introduced.  Koodo was never nearly as bad as some of the other providers who would charge you for a full additional 30 days no matter what, but Koodo did still charge up until the start of the next billing cycle or do something similar along those lines.

mimmo

Yup just chatted with koodo. I actually don't mind their new system. Spend a couple minutes with their version of Simon( don't really like theirs or ours) to get to a contact us, where they schedule a call back.  You pick a time and they call you.

I now have to call back after my final bill next month to get it prorated. Seems silly but at least they will prorate it.

@drmartin wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Someone_here wrote:

@popping wrote: 

Koodo should have add a sentence to call Koodo after your number is fully ported in the email.

I am pretty sure Koodo are very keen about not being clear and not adding that sentence in order to try to keep the money of people who don't know they should get it back/don't think about it...

Yes, Koodo is counting on keeping the money for the days that Koodo did not provide service to you.

Koodo, let us separate equitably.  There is no points to flight to CCTS. lol

I just completed a port from Koodo.

Koodo is a post-paid service.  You will pay for the adjusted amount you have used for the month until you actually cancel.  In my case I will only pay $16 on my final bill.  What the text means is that if you prepaid for something, the money is gone and won't be refunded.

It might be called postpaid, but in reality, everyone (on all carriers here) are bllled in advance.  This means that, unless you ported out on the last day of your billing cycle, there will always be unused days of service. Koodo is required to refund these charges, whether you have already paid the bill or not. They do not have a choice on this matter.  Continuing to charge for service that isn't provided on a "postpaid" account is considered as requiring a customer to give advanced notice of cancellation, a practice that was banned when the Wireless Code of Conduct came into effect.

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@popping wrote:

@Someone_here wrote:

@popping wrote: 

Koodo should have add a sentence to call Koodo after your number is fully ported in the email.

I am pretty sure Koodo are very keen about not being clear and not adding that sentence in order to try to keep the money of people who don't know they should get it back/don't think about it...

Yes, Koodo is counting on keeping the money for the days that Koodo did not provide service to you.

I just completed a port from Koodo.

Koodo is a post-paid service.  You will pay for the adjusted amount you have used for the month until you actually cancel.  In my case I will only pay $16 on my final bill.  What the text means is that if you prepaid for something, the money is gone and won't be refunded.

popping

@Someone_here wrote:

@popping wrote: 

@mimmo wrote:

received my goodbye letter from koodo (my personal line is back with PM )  but it stated:

Here’s what to expect on your final bill:

• Recurring charges that are billed in advance at the beginning of your billing cycle will not be refunded when your service is cancelled. This includes your monthly plan and any add-on charges.

does this mean i will not get refunded/credites  for my unused time?     i thought we were supposed to be prorated for unused time, the kicker is my new cycle started yesterday or today).  or am i confusing one thing with something else?

That's very interesting statement in that goodbye e-mail, especially considering that they're required to refund those charges.

@popping wrote: 

popping

@mimmo

You need to call Koodo at least once to ajdust the closing date either right after you ported your number out or after getting your final statement.

If you do not call after porting out, your will be charged for the remaining billing cycle as per what is said in Koodo email.  When I called them and ask why they did not cancel my plan after I ported out my number.  The answer is that if the port is not properly ported to my new provider, I will lost my number if Koodo cancel my plan right away.  This is the reason why Koodo wants to charge you until end of the current billing cycle.

Therefore, you should call Koodo after your number is fully working at PM to stop the click ticking.  It is fine if you leave it until your get the final bill to get your final bill adjusted.  But be prepare the first level CSR will say why did I call to cancel and refuse to adjust your final bill until you ask to speak the manger and/or cancel department.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

According to your line, it is what you think.  

Why you coming to public mobile after all?

Need Help? Let's chat.