cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone roaming near border

baad2001
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I live in NB near the Maine border. My phone switches from Public Mobile to AT$T while sitting on the counter. When I try to use the phone it tells me I  can't send a text from the USA.

I want to stop the phone from switching providers on its own. Phone is Motorola G8 play

9 REPLIES 9

sam777aircraft
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an android phone and live near the US border. When I was with Bell, my phone would switch over to AT&T even though I was still on the Canadian side. AT&T signal must be stronger than Bell. Bell was always good about it and reversed the charges. On the android phone in settings, go to network and there should be a setting for "home network only" Once I selected that, no more AT&T.

@baad2001 wrote:

I'm not getting any charges because  data  roaming is off, but how/why does the phone still connect to the USA rather than just waiting foe the Telus signal. And why does the Telus signal disappear?

@baad2001 It doesn't matter if your data roaming is on or off WRT extra charges. There are no extra charges with Public Mobile. If you haven't bought a US roaming package with data you won't be charged if for some reason you were getting data on the AT&T network.

I had a similar issue when my phone connected to a US network when I was over by St. Martin's! No reason for my phone to hook up to a network almost 200kms away lol. I never did determine why but it reconnected to PM by itself.

baad2001

The whole point of this question was that I had turned off all the things I could before i asked for help here. I'm not getting any charges because  data  roaming is off, but how/why does the phone still connect to the USA rather than just waiting foe the Telus signal. And why does the Telus signal disappear?

baad2001

I have turned off  automatically select network, turned off connect to data services while roaming but somehow AT$&T still manages to connect when the Public Mobile signal drops

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Turn automatic roaming off.

@LurganIeUk @geopublic 

Most phones do not have a setting specifically labelled as being for automatic roaming, but rather a feature to to turn on or off data roaming.  This option wouldn't prevent the phone from connecting to a roaming network, but rather only the use of data while roaming.  As for the automatic vs. manual network selection settings, I'd agree with that.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@baad2001 wrote:

I live in NB near the Maine border. My phone switches from Public Mobile to AT$T while sitting on the counter. When I try to use the phone it tells me I  can't send a text from the USA.

I want to stop the phone from switching providers on its own. Phone is Motorola G8 play

Manually select Public Mobile network.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@baad2001  Just go into settings, network & internet and turn off automatic roaming on your device to resolve the issue.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Turn automatic roaming off.

Need Help? Let's chat.