cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone number

holden2021
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

why is Vancouver's mobile number not 778 but 672? never heard of 672? 

21 REPLIES 21

holden2021

👍

i'll try

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@holden2021  since you did not activate yet.

It might be easier for you to click link below.

It's a live chat with a real human only for activations. They will help you through the process.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

@holden2021 wrote:

yes

@holden2021 If you did not activate, try again. It's been awhile since I did this but: When you get to the number selection, keep reloading until you get a prefix you like. Click on a 7 digit number. and there should be a link to customize the last 4 at the bottom. I did this, managing to snag the same last 4 numbers that we use as a home cell phone.

holden2021

yes

@holden2021 wrote:

i didn't get a new phone number,i just choose number,and i stopped and quit

@holden2021 So you didn't complete the activation and you have no service whatsoever?

holden2021

i didn't get a new phone number,i just choose number,and i stopped and quit

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Little secret: Swaths of old 604 numbers are sitting unused as people cut their land lines. A guaranteed way to get an old fashioned 604 number if you really want is to signup for a landline, and then port that number out.

Same goes for old area codes in all provinces...

Telus has a $20/mo "Business Connect" VoIP service that doesn't even need any on-premises installation streamlining the process. They'll even let you have the pick of any number you want if it's available.

@holden2021 wrote:

but when i activated,i don't find where can choose the last 4 dights.can you give me a picture

@holden2021 If you already activated and got a number it's too late.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@holden2021 wrote:

but when i activated,i don't find where can choose the last 4 dights.can you give me a picture

The option is only available during activation.

holden2021

@holden2021 wrote:

i don't have an activation number,i'm preparing. if i choose672, how to select the last 4 number

@holden2021   As already suggested by @Jb456 that option is available at activation only, so if you haven't activated yet, you will be able to select the last four digits at activation.

@holden2021 wrote:

nobody used 672 in vancouver,all are 604 or 778, i don't like 672

no worry.. in 5 years.. you will find so many friends with 672 and you are not alone.. 🙂

with population booming.. and most people has more than 1 number registered (some are hidden... like a Data tablet in fact using a phone number, security system using mobile connection, GPS tracking devices for car etc) , they will have to introduce more and more area codes

holden2021

i don't have an activation number,i'm preparing. if i choose672, how to select the last 4 number

Anonymous
Not applicable

@holden2021 : Welcome to the modern world. There are still landlines taking numbers. Still fax machines. Internet devices that use a number. All the voip numbers. And of course the gazillions of cell phones.

You can keep refreshing the list of numbers. Start out in Aldergrove as that is a local call to downtown Vancouver. And across and up Sechelt way. Maybe you could dig up some obscure 604 number.

But really, the only problem with having any number is these cheap building intercoms that won't do traditional long distance. If your friends and family are still calling long distance then invite them to here and get a dollar reward for each one.

You can also find number holding services and pay them for a number and then port it in.

@holden2021  this is not possible. Only when you first signup you can select last 4 digits. 

After that when you log into your account and click change number. You're provided with ( I think 5 numbers as options) you can keep refreshing till you find one you like.

holden2021

i don't  want to change my number.where can select myself number

@holden2021 wrote:

@holden2021   Unfortunately both 604 and 778 area codes have been replaced with newer codes.  You can keep refreshing change the number option by selecting another city and back to Vancouver and get lucky and get either 604 or 778 option available, although this is unlikely.

You can try Aldergrove and Chilliwack as I've seen both those area codes available there, but they may be long distance to some of your contacts.

@holden2021  then proceed with the instructions on my first post to change your number. One change per 30 days.

holden2021

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

672 area code started in May 2019.

Screenshot_20210115_153310.jpg

Public Mobile allows one number change per 30 days. If you want to try and change your number in your account to see if you can get another area code.

Orange Arrow on picture below to change your number.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@holden2021 wrote:

why is Vancouver's mobile number not 778 but 672? never heard of 672? 

@holden2021   New area/prefixes are being added all the time.  If you really want the 778 prefix then try Chilliwack for a new number, although that may affect people calling you with long distance charges if they don't have province/Canada wide calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.