cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone number status

vincep
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

when i or other people dail my number it promts us the we are dailing a long distance number , this was not what was coming up when i first got the number , there is some changed on my service ..can you please correct this ..i have contacted an admin about this issue 4 times now ...i need this corrected immeditely and i'm not going change my number for this  ..and ive been told that these moderators are also  the technical dept as well and nothing can be done

i've told since i have long distance plan i dont have to worry about it ..thats fine but people who dont have long distance cant contact me ..i dont think the moderators understand this 

why am i paying for a service if it is not working properly and my provider cant do any thing to fix this problem ..im very dissapointed with the service and am seriously considering about going back to chatr 

vince

55 REPLIES 55

vincep

i only want the 403 as my area code ..dont want others ..it confuses my senior clients 

I'm not in Alberta, but there must be another area code for Calgary you can select from.  It will work the same as a 403.

I've just searched, and 825 is an area code for Calgary as of 2016.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vincep wrote:

i tried to get a number starting with 403 so i Pm'ed the moderator because i couldnt find a 403 number of self serve ...so it wasnt done at a local retailer ..it was done through a moderator from public mobile 

Indeed. First world problems. With all the gazillions of devices pulling phone numbers this just gets worse and worse. So providers work around that by providing Canada-wide or to a lesser extent province-wide plans so that long distance isn't really a thing. But the landline history is still with us.

vincep

i tried to get a number starting with 403 so i Pm'ed the moderator because i couldnt find a 403 number of self serve ...so it wasnt done at a local retailer ..it was done through a moderator from public mobile 

@vincep, you can go into self-serve (My Account) and do a number change there, as long as it's been 30 or more days since the last one.  You can search specifically for a Calgary number.

You must have signed up a local retailer, and the person there doesn't know how the calling system works.  Local retailers are not Public Mobile reps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vincep wrote:

so this is why pubilc mobile wants me to change my number , because they screwed up in the first place i reside in Calgary and not lethbrige AB . And when we set up this number i specificly asked for a calgary number .

so i take my comments back you do know what you are talking about ..and you did help find the issue . thanks computer geek 541

A while ago someone had a similar experience in BC. They go into a store and insist on a certain area code/prefix. Well ok says the clerk. They got a long distance number.

vincep

so this is why pubilc mobile wants me to change my number , because they screwed up in the first place i reside in Calgary and not lethbrige AB . And when we set up this number i specificly asked for a calgary number .

so i take my comments back you do know what you are talking about ..and you did help find the issue . thanks computer geek 541

Lethbridge to Calgary is not a local call.  Your cell number is a Lethbridge number.  So people with a Calgary number will have to pay long distance UNLESS they are in Lethbridge or another area within the local calling area of Lethbridge.  This is how the system works.

vincep

im not dissing anyone , if you had this issues for over 2 months see how frustrated you get , and discussing my issues with everyone that seems to want to help ends up being a wild goose chase ...thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vincep wrote:

im on the unlimited incoming and out going calls , with free long distance within canada and 1 g data plan for $35 ...my number is 403-635 *** , dailing out from calgary 403 number to my number403-635 **** and it says it a long distance call dail 1 before the number ...i specificly asked for a 403 number for calgary area and it worked for about a month before it started prompting me that i was dialing a long distance number in calgary be it 587 , or 403 

Right...but prefixes within area codes can be long distance.

But it is curious that it used to be fine and now not. Are these the same numbers trying to call your number?

It might behoove you not to diss others here by the way. The little orange star next to somebodys userid indicates that they know a thing or two. Not all knowing of course but they've earned their status. If you see a blue MOD or orange PM then they are employees. Otherwise everyone else are fellow customers just trying to help.

@vincep wrote:

im on the unlimited incoming and out going calls , with free long distance within canada and 1 g data plan for $35 ...my number is 403-635 *** , dailing out from calgary 403 number to my number403-635 **** and it says it a long distance call dail 1 before the number ...i specificly asked for a 403 number for calgary area and it worked for about a month before it started prompting me that i was dialing a long distance number in calgary be it 587 , or 403 

Your number is not a Calgary number. 403-635-xxxx is Lethbridge, Alberta.

vincep

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@vincep wrote:

when i or other people dail my number it promts us the we are dailing a long distance number , this was not what was coming up when i first got the number , there is some changed on my service ..can you please correct this ..i have contacted an admin about this issue 4 times now ...i need this corrected immeditely and i'm not going change my number for this  ..and ive been told that these moderators are also  the technical dept as well and nothing can be done

i've told since i have long distance plan i dont have to worry about it ..thats fine but people who dont have long distance cant contact me ..i dont think the moderators understand this 

why am i paying for a service if it is not working properly and my provider cant do any thing to fix this problem ..im very dissapointed with the service and am seriously considering about going back to chatr 

vince

@vincep  What plan are you currently on? Have you ever changed plans while with PM?

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@vincep, I can't understand your issue.  What plan are you on, and what area code do you have?

What area codes are people calling you from?

Also required to know, are you in your 'area code' calling area, or are you in another area code?

Is the message saying the call *maybe* long distance?  Not all calls in all area codes are local.  I'm in a 226 area code (with 519 and 548).  All three area codes are overlaid, but calling from the westernmost city to the easternmost city IS a POTS long distance call.

Please give us a description including this information so that we can help you better.

But as noted, the people calling you must pay long distance, if the call is long distance.

vincep

i feel for you Joylaine , i found if you voice you concerns on their facebook page ..you get replies faster that where im heading right now 

@vincep wrote:

dont mean to be rude , but your replys are not helping ..you can score points else where computergeek541

I have no need to "score points".  I was simply trying to discover the area code and the first 3 digits after to the area code look up in the CNAC  database which city your phone number belongs to. That will get to the root of the problem, but that question was not answered.   Either way, best of luck.  If you need to contact Public Mobile, you can do that by sending a private message to the username Moderator_Team.

Joylaine
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Don't feel bad.. I can't even activate my Sim Card... Keeps tellin me invalid.. I hope this service gets better... Terrible...

vincep

dont mean to be rude , but your replys are not helping ..you can score points else where computergeek541

vincep

when i first got this number that was never an issue ??? it was always alocal call no need to dial 1 before the number ...so keep that in mind when replying ....some where along the line after a month it started to be a long distance number ??? so if public mobile cant do anything about the issue then refund my two months and i'll take my service else where ...simple enough ...nothing but problems with this service and the worst part is i cant talk to a customer service agent because they dont have a phone line for that ...messesages to moderators go un answered till up to a week  ..so i've just given up

@vincep wrote:

i need real solutions from public mobile as this issue has been on going for 2 months now  ..all calls are orinating from calgary incoming and out going .

Public Mobile is not who determines if a call is long distance for someone to call you.  As I was asking before, can you provide your phone number's area code and the first 3 digits after the area code?

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@vincep wrote:

vince

If the other ends call you are not same area where you're at, then they should dial 1 first before area code. Otherwise the other ends need to contact their carrier. There's nothing PM can do.

vincep

i need real solutions from public mobile as this issue has been on going for 2 months now  ..all calls are orinating from calgary incoming and out going .

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@vincep wrote:

when i or other people dail my number it promts us the we are dailing a long distance number , 

Y'all right there computergeek541? 🙂 Do we need to call an ambulance?

hahaha very funny,  hit post on my phone screen by accident

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@vincep wrote:

when i or other people dail my number it promts us the we are dailing a long distance number , 

Y'all right there computergeek541? 🙂 Do we need to call an ambulance?

@vincep wrote:

when i or other people dail my number it promts us the we are dailing a long distance number , this was not what was coming up when i first got the number ,

@vincep , unless the other person is also calling you from Public Mobile, the other carrier is who determines if the call is long distance for that person.  What city are those people trying to call you from, and what is the area code and the next 3 digits after the area code?

Need Help? Let's chat.