cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone freq band compatibility

JH_T
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new to cell phones and networks...

My daughter provided her old phone, which I will try to activate on Public Mobile (PM).

The PM compatibility checker returns the following for my phone:

(Check mark)    3G: 850MHz, 1900MHz

(!) 4G LTE: Device does not support 4G LTE bands

My phone DOES accommodate 850MHz, 1900MHz.. does the checkmark in the compatibility response mean this phone WILL work on the PM network?

I will worry about 4G/5G later, when I get a new phone, but I just want to be sure I can use this old phone till then.

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16

JH_T

Good point! Unfortunately, security is often the last thing we consider. My intention is mainly to make/receive calls, and use email. I see in your citation that there is a workaround now, but the overcast of doubt remains... whether proper security will be implemented . 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JH_T the reason why I ask is because of this article about older Android will not encrypted most websites.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/11/07/many-websites-will-stop-working-on-older-android-versions-i... 

JH_T

Android version 5.1.1

btw, I am impressed with the level of engagement on this board! 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JH_T what Android are you running in your LG Nexus 4?

@Nezgar wrote:

@JH_T wrote:

Model is LG Nexus 4.

OK, according to GSMArena, and multiple other sites, "LG Nexus 4 E960" should work... No LTE support, but that will be just fine.

Network

TechnologyGSM / HSPA
2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
 HSDPA 900 / 2100

The Nexus 4 is LTE-capable but was never officially suppsoed to be. People using older versions of the software and never updated it or those who are running customer software might to this this day be using it on one very high frequency LTE band.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@JH_T wrote:

Model is LG Nexus 4.

OK, according to GSMArena, and multiple other sites, "LG Nexus 4 E960" should work... No LTE support, but that will be just fine.

Network

TechnologyGSM / HSPA
2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
 HSDPA 900 / 2100

JH_T

Model is LG Nexus 4.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@JH_T  Yeah so basically ignore the "GSM/EDGE/GPRS" line - those are 2G protocols, not in use anymore.

I'm still curious the model of your daughter's old phone? We could probably tell you definitively what it supports...

JH_T

My current LG Nexus 4 phone operates on the following frequency bands (data from the manufacturer):

Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+

GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

3G (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

HSPA+ 42

I have truly stepped on a hornets nest (based on some replies), trying to use old technology! This, I believe, is normal when dealing with tech issues...

I normally only make phone calls, but anticipate accessing email on this old horse. 
BECAUSE it cites 3G, I will try it. If it does not work, no harm done, and I will buy a 21st century model. 

Thanks for all the discussion - information is a good thing!

@computergeek541  Thanks, great information!

@BKNS27 wrote:

That is strange. I purchased my Samsung S8+ phone based on this site. The PM SIM seems to work with my phone. I guess I was lucky it worked.

It works because your phone has UMTS bands 2 and 5. GSM bands 2 and 5 mean nothing when it comes to compatibility at Public Mobile. That site has been long known to list this information incorrectly but refuses to make the correction.  Public Mobile does not have a 2g GSM network.

That is strange. I purchased my Samsung S8+ phone based on this site. The PM SIM seems to work with my phone. I guess I was lucky it worked.

@JH_T 

What model is the phone? Only 3G (HSPA/WCDMA) on 850/1900 bands is necessary for all services on Public Mobile. LTE is optional, and only used for Texting and Data, but those functions also work on 3G.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@JH_T  yes PM will support 850mhz & 1900mhz for GSM phones.

66ED9C75-2426-47F6-AE75-9AA6A72948A0.png

Please realize this is incorrect.

Public Mobile does not have a 2g GSM network.  A phone being compatible with this type of network does not mean that it will work at Public Mobile. That site is wrong.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JH_T  yes PM will support 850mhz & 1900mhz for GSM phones.

66ED9C75-2426-47F6-AE75-9AA6A72948A0.png

Note added by computergeek541: above information isn't correct (I have crossed it out)

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@JH_T Having a phone that is compatible with only the 3G bands will give you somewhat limited coverage. It will depend on where you are. Currently, PM uses 3G/HSPA for calling, and that is not an issue for most people so i think you should be fine as long as you are in a core area in a city with full coverage. In any case, this is a prepaid service, so you can activate with a cheapest $15 plan and test to see how it works in your area. 

Need Help? Let's chat.