cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outgoing calls / text never made

Rosie2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new to Public Mobile.  Only about 3 weeks now.  I checked my Usage and noticed many texts and calls each day that I never occured.  The texts were to a numer 7723, which I have no idea what that is.  And the phone calls were to a number 226-580-4001 which I have no idea about this one either.  Most of the outgoing calls to this number is only about 5 seconds long, but some are over one minute long.  I have the $15 per month plan where I am limited to 100 minutes per month, and these unknown outgoing calls could eat through my 100 minutes quickly.  What are these numbers and how can I stop them?

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rosie2 wrote:

When I attempt to turn off the SMS permission for texting, I get this message "If you deny this permission, basic features of your device may no longer function as intended."  What happens when I turn it off then?

@Rosie2 nothing bad at all.  This is a generic Android messages when you remove permissions.  Some apps might misbehave in some ways if you take away certain permissions, but in this case it is 100% safe and will only stop the phone from trying to check for waiting visual voicemail messages, as per my previous response.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Rosie2 I wouldn't really worry about turning it off since you aren't getting charged for texts at least you know now why it's happening sometimes it's best not to mess with thingsSmiley Happy

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rosie2 wrote:

So is this the number I call to retrieve my vm messages?  I thought I called my actual cell phone number to get my vm messages?  

@Rosie2 yes you check your messages by calling your own number, but behind the scenes that is beging redirected to the voicemail access number, which for your province is 226-580-4001. As you discovered, doing this from your mobile phone will cost you airtime.

Also, whenever someone tries to call you and either your phone never rings (it was powered off or temporarily out of signal area) or it rang but you didn't answer it, they are directred to that same 226-580-4001 number, which you will see in your logs.  These calls do not cost you any airtime (they are not deducted from your bucket of minutes).  

Neither is anything to be concerned about.  And @RossN gave you great insturctions for fixing the 7723 thing.  This is Android's phone app trying to check if you have any messages waiting to be processed by Visual Voicemail.  Since Public Mobile doesn't offer this service, and those texts do count againts your text message outgoing bucket (unless you have an unlimited texting plan, in which case don't worry about it), I would definitely recommend turning off the SMS permission as Ross illustrated.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rosie2

When I attempt to turn off the SMS permission for texting, I get this message "If you deny this permission, basic features of your device may no longer function as intended."  What happens when I turn it off then?

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Rosie2 wrote:

And it appears accessing my vm gets applied toward my 100 minutes.  Is that correct?

If you are using your Public Mobile phone to check your Public Mobile Voice mail, Yes you are absolutely using your Minutes from your Plan.  You can use a Non Public Mobile phone by dialing your Voicemail Number or your Very own Public Mobile Number, when your greeting kicks in hit the *(Star) Key followed by your voice mail password.

@Rosie2 Yes that is correct but you can always check your voicemail from an outside line this will not charge you minutesSmiley Happy

Rosie2

And it appears accessing my vm gets applied toward my 100 minutes.  Is that correct?

Rosie2

So is this the number I call to retrieve my vm messages?  I thought I called my actual cell phone number to get my vm messages?  

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@Rosie2 226-580-4001 is your voicemail access number.

@Rosie2  as said above that is your voicemail number as for your texts I found this in help section 

I searched in the PublicMobile Community and discovered that on some devices, the "Phone" app on your device will automatically ping a text message to 7723 upon a device restart. And as my device was brand new, it was indeed restarting often while I was applying all the firmware upgrades, so this made perfect sense...

The Fix
In order to prevent this from happening again and continually depleting your limited text messages, you need to disable the SMS feature from the specific Phone app on your device as shown below (for an Android device):

Phone_Permission_SMS_Fix.jpg

Now, when I restart my device, it no longer automatically sends text messages to 7723! Smiley Happy but in your case texts are included anywaySmiley Happy

Rosie2

The phone is a Motorola Motoe5 Play.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Rosie2 wrote:

I am new to Public Mobile.  Only about 3 weeks now.  I checked my Usage and noticed many texts and calls each day that I never occured.  The texts were to a numer 7723, which I have no idea what that is.  And the phone calls were to a number 226-580-4001 which I have no idea about this one either.  Most of the outgoing calls to this number is only about 5 seconds long, but some are over one minute long.  I have the $15 per month plan where I am limited to 100 minutes per month, and these unknown outgoing calls could eat through my 100 minutes quickly.  What are these numbers and how can I stop them?

What phone are you using?  I know messages get sent from iPhones and some Android when they setup on a new network.  As for the phone number that is your voicemail number that is being called.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.