cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online call forwarding

Mags20
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm currently travelling overseas and trying to forward my number to another canadian number. I trired *21* but I get "Not registered on network" message. I tried to access phone->settings->call forwardings but I get "Failed to read data" message.

Is there anyway to set call forwarding online from my account or to resolve the above errors?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Mags20

After contacting the moderator, I got the following reply:

I would like to advise you that we cannot set up such feature because the call still needs to reach your device first and then it will be forwarded to the other phone number.

As such, the only other option is to get a friend to buy a new sim and do a sim swap as @TheGx suggested

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo wrote:

@Mags20  call forwarding has to be setup before you leave Canada or USA..  The only option available to you is as mentioned is  haveing a friend buy a sim for you, you doing a sim swap in self serve and your friend setting up forwarding by inserting the sim in a phone.

CA can only be forwarded to Canadian.numbers.  When I go over seas I typically forward my number to a fongo. Com number that way i will see who called and it will ring on myphone in Europe via the fongo app.  I can also call ppl in Canada usi g the fongo app.

Nice, using Fongo free numbers overseas for free call history and free call display, way better than paying to call long distance to check your cell phone voicemail - and Fongo has free voicemail too anyways you can check for free too.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mags20  call forwarding has to be setup before you leave Canada or USA..  The only option available to you is as mentioned is  haveing a friend buy a sim for you, you doing a sim swap in self serve and your friend setting up forwarding by inserting the sim in a phone.

CA can only be forwarded to Canadian.numbers.  When I go over seas I typically forward my number to a fongo. Com number that way i will see who called and it will ring on myphone in Europe via the fongo app.  I can also call ppl in Canada usi g the fongo app.

cviv
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

It's unfortunately not going to work. Public Mobile roaming is only available in the U.S.

TheGx

@Mags20 wrote:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

No problem, I wish there was remote call forwarding at Public too.

Mags20

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

TheGx

@computergeek541 wrote:

@GR wrote:

I was just thinking that the Sim has to be connected to the network and it's the phone that sends the call to another number so if you take the Sim out it won't work, same as if your out of the country 

Call forwarding is done at the network level before an incoming call even reaches the phone.

Since it all done at network level, maybe the Moderator Team would have some advice on what to do to help, I doubt they can help but if nothing else works asking them costs you nothing - click on the below link to read about how to write to them via private messages:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

TheGx

@GR wrote:

I was just thinking that the Sim has to be connected to the network and it's the phone that sends the call to another number so if you take the Sim out it won't work, same as if your out of the country 

Yeah, I think that before most phones started having sim cards it was the phone that connects and forwards the calls, but probably now it's the sim card that determines if call forwarding is even available since it's the sim that is registered to a certain network that provides that service.

@GR wrote:

Call forwarding is done at the network level before an incoming call even reaches the phone.

GR
Mayor / Maire

TheGx

@GR wrote:

@Mags20  I've got the s7 and it works on mine.   Like I said restart the phone and try again 

It shouldn't matter what phone is used since it's the sim that can't connect to any network when overseas, so no phone will help access call forwarding features, the problem is the sim being outside of North America - so only having the sim inside North America would help.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Mags20   you can try @TheGx  idea, maybe that will work

Mags20

@GR 

I have to restart the phone because I have to switch from the local sim to PM sim when I do this. I'm using a local sim as i will be travelling for few month...

TheGx

If you can get someone in Canada to buy a Public sim, maybe you can switch sim cards online by either report old sim lost or somethind similar, then register the sim your friend in Canada bought as your new sim and your friend can put that newly registered sim into a cell phone in Canada and forward it for you.

Mags20

Yes, I've seen this post and gave a bravo. It doesn't solve my issue though 😞

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Mags20  I've got the s7 and it works on mine.   Like I said restart the phone and try again 

TheGx

This feature is not available for Public yet, but this idea has been posted before,  you can read about it by clicking this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Manage-call-forwarding-online-My-Account/i...

You can also bravo the above idea in the above link to help encourage Public to add this feature.

Mags20

Phone: S7 Edge

Plan: unlimited talk and text

GR
Mayor / Maire

What kind of phone do you have? Sometimes restarting the phone before going in these settings help.  Do you have an unlimited talk plan because call forwarding will use your plan minutes so if you only have a 50 minute plan it might run out

Need Help? Let's chat.