thinking of going back to pm

are these sim cards still good

10 REPLIES 10

north450
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thanks for your help

@will13am wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@north450 how old are the sims?  Welcome back to PM. Stay safe. 

SIM cards do not have a freshness date.  All SIM cards issued by Public Mobile if unused is still good.  The original Public Mobile ran on a CDMA network that did not use SIM cards.  

Correct that it doesn't matter how a Public Mobile sim card as long as it has never been attached to an account. The only thing that I can think of that could be an issue would be how sim cards from about 2015 and before had different sizing versions.  The more current versions are one-size-fits-all.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@north450, out of curiosity, why did you leave Public Mobile in the first? 

If you live in the lower mainland, I can also give you a SIM card too. I just have to find it. I bought some, and then I stashed it somewhere?!

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As other have said, it will work.

We're currently using one of those free sims for a recently opened line. It is an old orange micro sim. I even cut it down to nano size (with scissors) and it works no problem lol

@gblackma wrote:

SIM cards do not have a freshness date.  All SIM cards issued by Public Mobile if unused is still good.  The original Public Mobile ran on a CDMA network that did not use SIM cards.  

@north450 wrote:

never used

It should be good.  I remember the free SIM giveaways back in the day.  The SIM I am still using was from the same source.  Worse case, the system will reject it if it was ever used.  

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@north450 if you are close to south west Ontario I can give you a new SIM. Not sure how old, old is. The only way to find out is try to activate it. 

If it does not work well you'll need to order a new one. 😒

Which is kinda bogus but part of the journey to becoming part of an amazing community! 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

north450
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

never used

Anonymous
Not applicable

@north450 wrote:

used to be a member of public mobile

they were giving away sim cards free

thinking of going back to pm

are these sim cards still good

If it had been activated then no. If never activated then likely.

Edit: if it was well after Telus bought Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.