cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

number failed to port

willem
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I activated a new sim card, I tried to port an old number but it didnt work.  Perhaps I filled out the information wrong. I can call out but the phone will not recieve calls.  It does recieve texts though. What should I do?

5 REPLIES 5

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@willem 

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1.  PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.  If your old SIM card is still working, continue to use until it stopped working.  That is the indication the port is complete.  Start using your PM SIM.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@willem What type of number are you trying to port? The quickest is wireless (a few hours), then it is landline (a few days), the longest is VOIP.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

The port hasn't completed yet. Try rebooting your phone. Who are you porting from?

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@willem wrote:

When I activated a new sim card, I tried to port an old number but it didnt work.  Perhaps I filled out the information wrong. I can call out but the phone will not recieve calls.  It does recieve texts though. What should I do?

That doesn't mean it failed to port. It means it is in the process. Your old SIM/Line still is getting your calls. If it was a cell service you ported, give it half a day or so. If it was a land line, give it a few business days, and if it was a VOIP it can take up to a week to clear up.

Need Help? Let's chat.