cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newly released Xiaomi Mi 9 question

camperbc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, I am brand-new to Public Mobile, having just ordered myself a gorgeous new Xiaomi Mi 9, ("global" version) and having ordered my SIM card moments ago. I have been assured by the retailer that this phone will indeed fully work on every Canadian carrier with the exception of Freedom Mobile, but I'm curious to know if anyone else on here might have the global version of this new phone, and if so, how is it working for you?

Thanking you in advance, 

Glen B. 

9 REPLIES 9

camperbc

Computergeek541, I should be good to go then, because this phone indeed has all of the frequencies you mentioned. When my phone arrives next week I will report back to let you all know how I am making out! 

Thanks, 

Glen

delarami

If your new phone is unlocked and compatible with Telus networks it iswill mostly likely work with public mobile as well. 

@camperbc wrote:

will13am, here is a list of the (Global) Xiaomi Mi 9's supported network bands:

4G: LTE FDD: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/20/28 

LTE TDD: B38/B39/B40

3G: WCDMA: B1/B2/B4/B5/B8

TDSCDMA: B34/B39

CDMA EVDO BC0

2G: GSM: B2/B3/B5/B8

CDMA 1X: BC0

Supports 4x4 MIMO | HPUE | HO RxD

So, I'm assuming that the listed 4G: LTE FDD: B4, and 3G: WCDMA: B4 are the bands you are referring to? 

Thanks, 

Glen B. 

The most important thing is not LTE compatibility.  The first thing you should be looking at is the 3g/WCDMA/HSPA frequencies.  Make sure your phone has 850 and/or 1900MHz (Bands 5 and 2) for WCDMA or you won't be able to make or receive any phone calls.  Data services can also be used over WCDMA.  LTE compatibility is optional.

camperbc

will13am, here is a list of the (Global) Xiaomi Mi 9's supported network bands:

4G: LTE FDD: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/20/28 

LTE TDD: B38/B39/B40

3G: WCDMA: B1/B2/B4/B5/B8

TDSCDMA: B34/B39

CDMA EVDO BC0

2G: GSM: B2/B3/B5/B8

CDMA 1X: BC0

Supports 4x4 MIMO | HPUE | HO RxD

So, I'm assuming that the listed 4G: LTE FDD: B4, and 3G: WCDMA: B4 are the bands you are referring to? 

Thanks, 

Glen B. 

@camperbc wrote:

Sunflowershine, I admittedly know practically zilch about this technical mumbo-jumbo. As I don't yet have the new phone shipped to me, I am unsure if it's compatible with these numbers. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but does my new phone have to be compatible with all 7 of these frequencies? Or just some of them? Or...?

Sorry, but as this is my first new cellphone in years, I still have SO much to learn... Thanks again for your kind assistance; very much appreciated! 

Glen B. 

I more supported bands the phone has, the greater the compatibility.  Some bands have greater coverage on the network.  Band 4 is probably the widest coverage.  If this is available on the phone, it should be fine.

jotsang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@camperbc wrote:

Sunflowershine, I admittedly know practically zilch about this technical mumbo-jumbo. As I don't yet have the new phone shipped to me, I am unsure if it's compatible with these numbers. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but does my new phone have to be compatible with all 7 of these frequencies? Or just some of them? Or...?

Sorry, but as this is my first new cellphone in years, I still have SO much to learn... Thanks again for your kind assistance; very much appreciated! 

Glen B. 

If this is what you purchased, then you are covered with all frequencies  🙂

https://www.mi.com/global/mi9/specs/

camperbc

Glen B. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@camperbc 

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

As long as the phone is under the frequency, it should be fine.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Looking at the specs of that phone, it looks like it supports mostly all bands required on the Telus network. So you should not have any problem using this phone on PM. 

Need Help? Let's chat.