cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to public mobile, Data usage count confused.

unclesam_xu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am new to public mobile. and I find out the way public mobile calculate data usage are every confused. look at these two screen captures:

the first one I captured last night (04-09-18:17), it showed higher count than this morning the second one (04-10-08:34), I use wifi only last night.

2020-04-09 18-17-52 的屏幕截图.png2020-04-10 09-34-49 的屏幕截图.png

anyone knows why?

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maximum_gato wrote:

@unclesam_xu  You may have phone connected to WiFi and not in use. During that time you may lose the connection to WiFi briefly and the phone then connects briefly to mobile data and bact to WiFi. No mobile data is used but the buffer is then grabbed only to eventually reset if you are concerned when your data gets low (below 20mb) then use airplane mode to reset it.

It would still grab the buffer when you turn it back on. It resets seemingly overnight too anyway.

But your idea of the wifi failover is totally a possibility. Phones have settings to turn that capability off.

@unclesam_xu  You may have phone connected to WiFi and not in use. During that time you may lose the connection to WiFi briefly and the phone then connects briefly to mobile data and bact to WiFi. No mobile data is used but the buffer is then grabbed only to eventually reset if you are concerned when your data gets low (below 20mb) then use airplane mode to reset it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@unclesam_xu wrote:

yes and no, my concern is it changed from 39M to 33M then to 39M again and I am at home, using wifi in all that period.

so all that airplane mode etc, doesn't really hit the question at all. I don't need to test anything,  above is my concern, the stats keep changing .

Asked and answered. A buffer is grabbed upon turning on cell data. The math works too. It comes to 5.291MB (plus the 2  x .001). If you're turning on cell data to send or receive an MMS then that buffer gets grabbed. The other .001 (2x) or 1KB you've already said you don't care about.

Perhaps your deeper question is...why is a buffer grabbed? Shrug. Dunno. Don't care. It comes out in the wash eventually.

@unclesam_xu  The answer is you used up 34 MB and because you are currently not using your data the data counter is oscillating between the two if you follow @Anonymous  post it will verify the fact that this is the case.

unclesam_xu

yes and no, my concern is it changed from 39M to 33M then to 39M again and I am at home, using wifi in all that period.

so all that airplane mode etc, doesn't really hit the question at all. I don't need to test anything,  above is my concern, the stats keep changing .

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic 

Then I vote your previous post about MMS.

@unclesam_xu: Have you sent or received any MMS?

It's such a marginally tiny amount that I hardly think it's something to worry about. If you have sent or received MMS then iirc others have posted about this finding as well and I don't recall any resolution.

I don't think that @unclesam_xu  has an issue with the 5 MB buffer. I think what @unclesam_xu  is asking (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that he has turned off his data and is only using WiFi. The first time the buffer showed up his posted screenshot showed 39.003 / 250 MB

Now (latest screenshot) it's showing:

39.005 /250 MB

@unclesam_xu  is asking about the  0.002 MB difference and not the 5 MB buffer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@unclesam_xu wrote:

newest update, make me more confused. a few hours later, like now. it bounce back to 39.005M,0.002M more, I dodn't care about that 0.002M, I care about the amount of the use is like seafood market, up and down. please check:

Take note of the data counter

Turn off cell data

Turn on airplane mode

Refresh page and take note of data counter - should be down some

Turn off airplane mode

Refresh page and take note of data counter - should be the same

Turn on cell data

Refresh page and take note of data counter - should be up by about 5MB

Turn off cell data

Refresh page and take note of data counter - should be the same and would remain the same until it seems some time overnight.

Or do airplane mode again to see what that little session of cell data took.

@unclesam_xu  What type of phone do you have? Some phones even if you turn data off and only use Wi-Fi  will still use a tiny amount (leakage). Go into your phone's settings to find out what app it was. Also, if you received a MMS text it has been mentioned in these forums that it might leak a tiny amount of data similar like in your screenshot. Did you receive any MMS?

@unclesam_xu  did you restart your phone or enable data, and  go onto The internet ? Thanks. That would account for the 5mb buffer returning. Stay safe.

unclesam_xu

newest update, make me more confused. a few hours later, like now. it bounce back to 39.005M,0.002M more, I dodn't care about that 0.002M, I care about the amount of the use is like seafood market, up and down. please check:

2020-04-10 12-22-23 的屏幕截图.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

My theory is that it's a sliding window buffer. The system grabs the buffer upon turning on cell data. You use some data. You use more than 5MB. It grabs another buffer. Then you turn off cell data. Either flip in and out of airplane mode or wait overnight or whatever the time lag is and see that it nets back down to what you actually used of that last buffer taken.

That is my theory that I have, that is to say, which is mine 🙂 - Anne Elk.

@unclesam_xu wrote:

question is if I am at border line of reaching the limit , will public mobile cut it because of it?

thanks

This 5mb amount should be back before you get close to your limit.  It is usually cleared up within the first day of the plan period.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for asking this question I noticed the same thing but was going to wait and research, but you bringing it up helped answer the question! 🙂

unclesam_xu

question is if I am at border line of reaching the limit , will public mobile cut it because of it?

thanks

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@unclesam_xu  The second screen is correct. The 5 MB buffer shows up in the beginning but as you found out gets released back so it doesn't really count as your data consumption.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@unclesam_xu  there's a bug in the data system that takes slightly more than 5mb of data. When you enable it. The data is released back gradually into your self service account plan.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@unclesam_xu the reason is there is a 5 mb Buffer usually goes away after a few hours or if you put it in airplane mode it will go away

Need Help? Let's chat.