cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new phone

davidgreenwald5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

just hooked up phone and sim card paid with voucher. how long does it take for me to be able to use the phone? it says emerg calls only

4 REPLIES 4

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

it can be used rightaway after activation. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@davidgreenwald5 Emergency Calls Only typically means one of two things:

1) Your phone is not compatible with Public Mobile.  

Did you check compatibility only using the IMEI checker on Public Mobile's website?  Unfortunately, it often produces false positives.  Please check again at https://www.willmyphonework.net, or post the brand and model number here and we can help you verify.

2) Your phone is locked to another provider (Note: locked to Telus or Koodo is fine, but for any other providers, you need to contact them to get it unlocked).  Did you purchase your phone from another provider prior to Dec 2017?  If so, it probably came locked to them.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CellAid
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think it should start to work right away.  Maybe try turning you phone off and back on, or maybe you have your SIM card in backwards?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@davidgreenwald5 wrote:

just hooked up phone and sim card paid with voucher. how long does it take for me to be able to use the phone? it says emerg calls only

@davidgreenwald5 Have you tried to re-insert your sim card? It may not be seated properly. Have you rebooted the phone since activating? Do you have another phone to put that sim in? That would at least split the issues with either the service / sim or your phone. When you log into self serve "my account" does it say the words "Active" on the overview page? Are you sure your phone is compatible with public mobile? What is the full model number?

Have you checked your IMEI number? Make sure that the phone has not been added to the blacklist (it happens, sometimes even by accident) https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Go into network settings is it set to "automatically select network" ? If it is, deselect it and try to do a manual network search, (it takes a few minutes be patient) what networks do you see? If you see public mobile, try connecting to it manually and report back.

Need Help? Let's chat.