cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new activation no service

pwpenn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Having problems on New Activation, getting "No Service". Tried removing the SIM and restarting, Resetting Network Settings, etc. It's an iPhone 7, unlocked. Switching from Bell. Any help is appreciated!

33 REPLIES 33

pwpenn

Just wanted to conclude this thread. I took the phone into the Apple Store and they replaced it. Something with the iPhone 7 sometimes being incompatible with certain sims. Just to repeat some details, the sim worked in another iPhone 7 we had, just not that particular one. Despite what Public said it wasn't on the Blacklist or reorted lost or stolen. (not sure how that come about). And the phone was unlocked. I came back to add this info just in case someone else has that problem. Call Apple. Thanks for your help!

@pwpenn wrote:

Just confirmed with Bell that the phone is unlocked. So back to square one?

@pwpenn If you've tried the suggestions in the Apple articles without success, you may be faced with a factory reboot. Just be sure to do a full backup before doing so. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

pwpenn

Just confirmed with Bell that the phone is unlocked. So back to square one?

@krazykiwi "is that for all new phones going forward or older phones as well?"

I don't know for sure. No personal experience, just recently gleaned the news (to me) on another help forum.

@Luddite wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

My brother phoned bell to unlock his phone but when I put the PM sim in it was still locked. Had to call bell again. They should give you a code to enter when you put the PM sim in.

@krazykiwi FYI: apparently the code method is no longer in use. It's all done by the carrier: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

Oh, good to know. Thanks.

is that for all new phones going forward or older phones as well?

@catchat3 wrote:

I have the same issue. Just activated a phone and SIM card 20mins ago for a family member. Everything says activated and connected to the Public Mobile network but I can't call out on the phone and when I try to call the newly activated #, it goes straight to voicemail. Can't even receive texts.

I believe this is a separate issue. Could you start a new topic and from there we may be able to help.

Go to Community, at the bottom choose the best category that represents your situation (Not Knowledge Base), click at top "Ask A Question".
Please include as much information as you can about your situation.

@krazykiwi wrote:

My brother phoned bell to unlock his phone but when I put the PM sim in it was still locked. Had to call bell again. They should give you a code to enter when you put the PM sim in.

@krazykiwi FYI: apparently the code method is no longer in use. It's all done by the carrier: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

@pwpenn wrote:

Just tried a working Bell sim in the phone and it works.

Yeahl, needs to be unlocked. Call Bell and ask then to unlock it.

@pwpenn wrote:

I'm not certain of anything at this point. And will try anything. I'll have a look at the article, but also how do I make sure phone is unlocked?

The easiest way is to put a non Bell working sim in your pjhone if it works it is unlocked. If you have a working Bell sim try it, if that works chances are it is still locked. If it is locked it should have asked for a code when you inserted the PM sim and started the phone. 

pwpenn

Mine doesn't say connected to PM, just "No Service".

pwpenn

Just tried a working Bell sim in the phone and it works.

catchat3

I have the same issue. Just activated a phone and SIM card 20mins ago for a family member. Everything says activated and connected to the Public Mobile network but I can't call out on the phone and when I try to call the newly activated #, it goes straight to voicemail. Can't even receive texts.

@pwpenn wrote:

I'm not certain of anything at this point. And will try anything. I'll have a look at the article, but also how do I make sure phone is unlocked?

First are you able to try a working sim in your phone?

pwpenn

Not a new phone. Have had it a few years, maybe 2 years or so.

pwpenn

Is this a new/used phone that you just received?

pwpenn

nope

@pwpenn wrote:

Ported the number. Just tried putting in the old SIM and it said "no service". Reinserted the Public Mobile SIM and restarted the phone, still showing "No Service." Yes it might take awhile I guess, but other times I've switced it's been immediate. Thanks for helping....

@pwpenn "No service" is not a good sign. Are you certain the phone is unlocked, even if purchased from Bell? Just noticed that you said the SIM works in another iPhone; ergo it's your phone that's the culprit here.

Check out: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415

Still no service?

What happens if you try a working sim in your phione?

pwpenn

Yes, I did a Network reset with the PM SIM in the phone.

@pwpenn wrote:

Thanks. Yes am anxious, but I did contact the moderators. Just interesting that the SIM works in one iPhone 7 but not the other. That would mean that the porting is completed?

Yes, it is just a matter of getting your phone to talk to the network.

pwpenn

Thanks. Yes am anxious, but I did contact the moderators. Just interesting that the SIM works in one iPhone 7 but not the other. That would mean that the porting is completed?

@pwpenn wrote:

Just tried the PM SIM is another phone, iPhone 7 as well and "Public Mobile" comes up. So it must be a setting somewhere???

Try a network reset with the sim in the phone!

pwpenn

Just tried the PM SIM is another phone, iPhone 7 as well and "Public Mobile" comes up. So it must be a setting somewhere???

aragingbull
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For what it's worth, mine took about an hour after porting to get service. I too was anxious but wasn't overly concerned as the port was successful. If worse comes to worse, you can always pm the mods for assistance.

Try this while you wait.

Login to self serve - Plan & add-ons - Lost/Stolen phone - Suspend service.
Logout and wait a few minutes then login and select found phone.
This will not blacklist your phone.

pwpenn

Ported the number. Just tried putting in the old SIM and it said "no service". Reinserted the Public Mobile SIM and restarted the phone, still showing "No Service." Yes it might take awhile I guess, but other times I've switced it's been immediate. Thanks for helping....

@pwpenn wrote:

Yes, account created and active. Able to log and see payment info etc.

Even a delayed port will allow all services except incoming calls.

a) What message shows on your phone when you reboot with the PM SIM installed?

b) Try your PM SIM in another unlocked phone?

c) What happens when you dial 611?

@pwpenn wrote:

Yes, account created and active. Able to log and see payment info etc.

Ok, it says active! Good, Did you port a number on activation or take a new number?

Need Help? Let's chat.