cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

needing plan advice

Kerri
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello. I have a plan which I built myself and it consists of unlimitted talk to the United States and Canada, unlimitted texting and 500 Megabytes of LTE data. My room mate wants to get her own phone but this plan does not exist. what is the closest to our plan now? thanks and have a great day. 

21 REPLIES 21

@Korth wrote:

@Kerri

Build Your Own Plan is gone. Public Mobile customers can now select only pre-built Plans. 

Assuming you activate AutoPay to collect the Reward and Plan bonuses... and ignoring Plans which only step up the Data increments... 

Monthly cost of $8 for 50 minutes Limited Canada Talk, Limited Text, no Data. 

Monthly cost of $13 for 100 minutes Canada Talk and Unlimited Incoming, Unlimited Text, 250MB Data. 

Monthly cost of $23 for Unlimited Canada Talk, Unlimited Text, 1000MB Data.

Monthly cost of $48 for Unlimited Canada & USA Talk, Unlimited Text, 8500MB Data.

You can also buy Add-ons. Their unused minutes and megabytes don't expire, they rollover billing cycles until fully used up, and they are not part your monthly bill. You may be able to get good value from a combination of cheap monthly Plan plus one or two Add-ons.

$5 for 500 minutes Canada Talk.

$8 for 200 minutes Canada & USA Talk. 

$15 for 400 minutes Canada & USA & International Talk. Beware that "International" is a list of about a dozen countries, not all countries.

$10 for 200MB Data.

$30 for 1000MB Data.

Don't forget that your friend can be your referral. You can collect monthly Reward, you both can collect a $10 credit. 

Finally, Public Mobile's billing cycles are always exactly 30 days. An important detail if on a tight monthly budget. 

@Kerri  What @Korth forgot to mention is if activated before 11:59pm et oct 6th you and your friend would both get a bonus $10 credit. Your friend would also get the regular refer a friend credit for a total $20 credit if she chose a $25+ plan. She could change it to the $15 plan the following month if she so chose.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri wrote:

Hi, @k. I had no idea there was a $48 plan with unlimitted talk to canada/us unlimitted text and 8 g of data?orth (Mayor / Maire)

It's shown on the Plans page as the $50 Plan, I already factored in the $2 AutoPay Reward/discount and bonus Data.

Kerri

Hi, @m I am paying $45 excluding all rewards. immo (Oracle

Kerri

Hi, @k. I had no idea there was a $48 plan with unlimitted talk to canada/us unlimitted text and 8 g of data?orth (Mayor / Maire)

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kerri  how much are you paying for your current plan pre rewards? It around $45? Just trying to get a comparison.

station1104

unlimited in canada and talk to the us, 1 plan now $50, or unlimited usa and canda $60 with 8 to 8.5gb data in canada and 2gb us 

@Kerri

Build Your Own Plan is gone. Public Mobile customers can now select only pre-built Plans. 

Assuming you activate AutoPay to collect the Reward and Plan bonuses... and ignoring Plans which only step up the Data increments... 

Monthly cost of $8 for 50 minutes Limited Canada Talk, Limited Text, no Data. 

Monthly cost of $13 for 100 minutes Canada Talk and Unlimited Incoming, Unlimited Text, 250MB Data. 

Monthly cost of $23 for Unlimited Canada Talk, Unlimited Text, 1000MB Data.

Monthly cost of $48 for Unlimited Canada & USA Talk, Unlimited Text, 8500MB Data.

You can also buy Add-ons. Their unused minutes and megabytes don't expire, they rollover billing cycles until fully used up, and they are not part your monthly bill. You may be able to get good value from a combination of cheap monthly Plan plus one or two Add-ons.

$5 for 500 minutes Canada Talk.

$8 for 200 minutes Canada & USA Talk. 

$15 for 400 minutes Canada & USA & International Talk. Beware that "International" is a list of about a dozen countries, not all countries.

$10 for 200MB Data.

$30 for 1000MB Data.

Don't forget that your friend can be your referral. You can collect monthly Reward, you both can collect a $10 credit. 

Finally, Public Mobile's billing cycles are always exactly 30 days. An important detail if on a tight monthly budget. 

+1 for hangouts dialer. When calling in NA your actual mobile number gets displayed on the other end. If the other party needs to call you back they just dial your mobile number. Call quality is second to none.

@Kerri wrote:

thanks @sunflowershine, this is interesting. 

I agree with @sunflowershine ...especially when it seems like free wifi is ubiquitous these days. The TextNow app is free and allows you to make/recieve free calls to Canada and US numbers. I've used it for calling US and Canada while away...works great as long as you have a decent wifi signal.

I'm certain there are other apps that work just as good, but this one works for me.

Give it a look.

Kerri

thanks @sunflowershine, this is interesting. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kerri You can download an app called TextNow (need internet) that you can call to any places in North America for FREE. So you don't necessary to buy the plan for US calling. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri hi you could get a 15 dollar long distance 400 minutes add on to go with one of the smaller plans maybe the 25 would be a good choice plus the 15 dollar long distance rolls over every cycle until used up Smiley Happy

Kerri

Hello. At the very least, 500 per month but even that's a rough estimate.

Kerri

Thanks, it's a great plan but too much data, as we just don't use it that much.

@Kerri wrote:

Thanks, the plans they ahve are not great and she needs unlimitted talk tot he States as we have friends there. I hope Public Mobile comes up iwth build your own plans again. The other issue is many of htem have too much data.

There's the $25 plan but that doesn't include calling to the U.S.  American phone numbers can be called for free with an internet connection using Hangouts Dialer.

Kerri

Thanks, the plans they ahve are not great and she needs unlimitted talk tot he States as we have friends there. I hope Public Mobile comes up iwth build your own plans again. The other issue is many of htem have too much data.

@Kerri wrote:

Hello. I have a plan which I built myself and it consists of unlimitted talk to the United States and Canada, unlimitted texting and 500 Megabytes of LTE data. My room mate wants to get her own phone but this plan does not exist. what is the closest to our plan now? thanks and have a great day. 

There are no plans that include all of those because of the desire for high speed LTE. The closest plans at Public Mobile are the $50 and $60 Ready-made price offerings.  The $60 plan also includes usage and some data while visiting the U.S.

brid0nca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
How many minutes is going to be used to call the US?

Kerri

Hi, @ros As i'm totally blind, I have viewed all the plans but thought i might have missed somehting. thanks.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri  if you go on the website and look at the plans, that's all that's available right now! There's nothing that compares to what you have. She could take the 25$ plan with unlimited talk and text to Canada and 1 gb of 3g data and then add an 8$ add on with 200  Minutes of Canada/us calling while in Canada is about the closest. The 200 minute would roll over every month until used up so the plan would be 23$ a month with autopay 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri hi you can find all the plans here you would be most capable of finding the best plan to suit your needs Smiley Happy https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

Need Help? Let's chat.