cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my phone is requesting "Network unlock code"

Billmurrin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

setting up new connection and my phone is requesting  Network unlock code and I do not know what that means.

10 REPLIES 10

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Billmurrin 

Sound like your phone is older than December 1, 2017. After this date, it is illegal for to lock cell phones.

If you purchased the phone from someone and don’t know who the previous carrier is. You can check on the following link:

https://www.imei.info/carriers/canada/ 

@Doomsday wrote:

Your phone has been locked by your previous carrier. Call them to unlock the phone. It should be free if you are in Quebec. You may need to pay the reminder of your phone before they agree to do so.

Any contract from a phone that they were allowed to lock with be long over. Canadian carriers have been required to unlock any unlcoked device upon request since December 2017.

Doomsday
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Your phone has been locked by your previous carrier. Call them to unlock the phone. It should be free if you are in Quebec. You may need to pay the reminder of your phone before they agree to do so.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Billmurrin  was this working well on the previous provider before?  or is this a new phone you just purchased and never used anywhere else?

If it is working on your old provider and you have not cancelled that yet, then it is easier.  Just call then back and ask them for an unlock code BEFORE you cancel the service with them.    If you have cancelled the service, usually they won't give it to you without a fight

Bumblebear

Well I texted to have them bell port my number and they wouldn't. Then I called and couldn't get number released so I then just canceled my service once I was up and running on a new number with public mobile. So yes you're correct. I said it in the wrong order on my answer. For some reason bell wouldn't release it before I canceled. My point in the answer was not that it cannot be done, only that it was easier for me to get a new number. Thanks for your reply 

@Bumblebear 

You do not want to cancel your service with a previous provider if you intend to port your number into pm. Porting in most cases only takes a few minutes once you respond YES to the porting authorization text. Once ported your account automatically is cancelled with your previous provider.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you can unlock phone from your old carrier
contact them and the have to do for you for Free.

give them your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Good Luck

Bumblebear

When you leave a phone service provider and go to a new one, the old one has to unlock your phone so that you can move plans to public mobile. All you need to do is call your former provider and end your plan with them and ask them to unlock your phone. They will do that if you're  paid up. Also when you activate your sim with public mobile, it is a more time consuming process to bring your old number. Its very easy to get a new number when you activate and set up your account. I hope this helps 

@Billmurrin wrote:

setting up new connection and my phone is requesting  Network unlock code and I do not know what that means.

As asked about earlier if you know that this phone is unlocked or not, your phone isn't.  Your phone is locked to another carrier. You'll need to contact the old carrier to get it unlocked, or some sellers will offer that services (example: on ebay).

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Billmurrin 

What is the make and model of your phone? Is it unlocked from your previous provider?

Need Help? Let's chat.