cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my friend got a huge bill from freedom because they don't reconize 236 as Vancouver's new area code

Colinh90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

freedom doesn't recognize 236 as Vancouver's new area code and my friend got a bill for 500 bucks with freedom for roaming. what do I do. I might have to switch to a diff company with a 604 area code.

8 REPLIES 8

@stonechucker wrote:

@dna2016 there's no claim to fraud, I just think it's someone thinking they have a local call to a number that is not local.  For instance, in Ontario, a number in Windsor with area code 519, tries to call a 226 (or a 519, or a 548) in London is a 'long distance call'.

I don't know the BC area codes, but I'm certain there are City's that can't call Vancouver 'locally' and need to make an LD call.

It sounds like the Freedom plan doesn't have (possibly) Nationwide calling in the old 'Away' network.  Last I looked, there are still some calls at $0.05/minute to Canada.

Colinh90 did say the friend was charged for "roaming".  I am also thinking that it really was a roaming charge, in which case, it would have been charged no matter which city Colin's phone number is from.

The only way I see Public Mobile even remotely at fault here would be if those charges weren't for romaing, but really for long distance, and if Public Mobile somehow gave a non-Vanoucver number by mistake. Even then, the firend should have checked the lcoation of this phone number before using up $500 worth of long distance.

@dna2016 there's no claim to fraud, I just think it's someone thinking they have a local call to a number that is not local.  For instance, in Ontario, a number in Windsor with area code 519, tries to call a 226 (or a 519, or a 548) in London is a 'long distance call'.

I don't know the BC area codes, but I'm certain there are City's that can't call Vancouver 'locally' and need to make an LD call.

It sounds like the Freedom plan doesn't have (possibly) Nationwide calling in the old 'Away' network.  Last I looked, there are still some calls at $0.05/minute to Canada.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Colinh90 well technically that's not your friends problem, that's Freedom's problem.  If this is legit and can be proven that the city has added an additional area code, then Freedom needs to update their systems.  I guarantee you if that was me I would not be paying that bill.  I'd take it up the chain, and worse case scenario to the Ombudsman.  This is no different when Toronto went from 416 to 647, and now there are like 2 other newly added Toronto area codes.  

DON'T SWITCH YET, YOUR FRIEND NEEDS TO FIGHT THIS SO THEY DON'T GET SENT TO COLLECTIONS AGENCY. 

First reach out to their customer service, and speak with a manager, then maybe talk to the accounts department manager.  And if they are just throwing you around or not caring at all then ask to be sent to the retention (customer care) department.  And if that still doesn't help then google Freedom Mobile Ombudsman (every company has one).  You can also file a complaint with the CRTC but that'll take even more time for your issue to get resolved.  But I would not just switch companies without getting this recitified.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Your friend must have a really bad plan from Freedom if they’re roaming all the time, and having to pay per minute costs.If your phone number isn’t a local call from Vancouver, it’s considered long distance for those in Vancouver to call you.  Unless they have a plan which covers long distance calling in some fashion, that call to you will continue to be long distance until they are in the right geographic area to call you without additional costs.

@Colinh90 wrote:

freedom doesn't recognize 236 as Vancouver's new area code and my friend got a bill for 500 bucks with freedom for roaming. what do I do. I might have to switch to a diff company with a 604 area code.

What are the 3 digits after the 236?  236 area code does not necessarily mean that you have a Vancouver number.

If your phone number is in fact a Vancouver phone number, erroneous charges on a Freedom Mobile bill are on them, and having nothing to do with Public Mobile. 

In addition, if your friend was charged for roaming at Freedom, that has nothing do with the number he/she is dialing.  If it's a long distance charge, that would be a different story, but I don't know of many Freedom/Wind plans that don't include Canada-wide calling (while connected to the Freedom network).

As for what action for you do take, you don't have to do anything.  I realize that the person is your firend, but this really isn't your problem.  If your number is a Vanouver number, and Freedom is charging incorrect long distance charges, your friend needs to get Freedom to issue a refund.  If by chance, your number isn't a Vancouver number and your friend has been making long distance calls, your friend needs to take at least some responsibility for not checking if the calls were local.

Colinh90

I tried public for exactly 1 month as of now, and it's already caused me and a few others a big headache, I did have auto pay but I removed it and deleted my card. I did like public for its coverage but I am forced to to back to freedom.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@Colinh90 if your friend is trying to call you and your number is 236, you can also try to change your number in the selfserve account. 604 or 778 numbers pop up from time to time.

jordan23

@Colinh90 that's sad to hear! You can tell your friend to dispute the roaming charges with Freedom since the area code 236 is definitely local. If you like, you can check out our awesome plans here at Public Mobile and see if it's a better deal for you. You can also get an extra $2 off every month if you setup autopay and a $1 off/month for every friend you refer here 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.