cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving to alberta from ontario and want to port my number

shakti
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi 

i just moved from ontario to alberta i want to port in my ontario number is this possible please confirm 

thanks

13 REPLIES 13

@Anonymous wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Employers and local businesses you deal with will probably refuse to contact you with an out of Province number, even an out local calling area number.

Frankly, it’s selfish to keep an out of Province number if you are permanently relocating to another location.  It may be convienient for you, but it’s a hassle for anyone communicating with you locally.

@stonechucker

Some people go so far to not call what they don't recognize as a local number. Most of BC outside of the lower mainland has had the 778 overlay over the 250 area code for more than a decade. Here on Vancouver Island there are communities where new local 250 numbers are not available anymore and possibly half of the local cell phone numbers are 778 by now... but some people will simply refuse to dial a 778 number because "it doesn't look like a local number"... 

I was able to get a 250 number in the interior. There were of course 778 numbers and a new one I'd never heard of or seen before - 236.

My Telus Wireless Home Phone could only be 778 though.

But as mentioned elsewhere...long distance is becoming a thing of the past. People will get over it.

@Anonymous

Haven't seen 236 here just yet... But over in the GVA they are probably already starting to run out of those as well. And then you have communties like Port Alice, they will never get even close to running out of their 250 numbers. 😉

@wetcoaster, oh I completely understand.

When 226 was the first overlay for the original 519 in SW Ontario, no-one wanted to call me.  I have a 226 number.  Our local calling areas stink.   I'm 30 minutes from my hometown by car, and I can't dial it as a local call.  I can call other areas further distance from me as a local call.  It makes no sense.

There's now a newer overlay area code in SW Ontario, I still forget what it is, as it's not the same as the two I know, but those numbers are still very rare at this time.

Oh well, better than being on a provincial boundary! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Employers and local businesses you deal with will probably refuse to contact you with an out of Province number, even an out local calling area number.

Frankly, it’s selfish to keep an out of Province number if you are permanently relocating to another location.  It may be convienient for you, but it’s a hassle for anyone communicating with you locally.

@stonechucker

Some people go so far to not call what they don't recognize as a local number. Most of BC outside of the lower mainland has had the 778 overlay over the 250 area code for more than a decade. Here on Vancouver Island there are communities where new local 250 numbers are not available anymore and possibly half of the local cell phone numbers are 778 by now... but some people will simply refuse to dial a 778 number because "it doesn't look like a local number"... 

I was able to get a 250 number in the interior. There were of course 778 numbers and a new one I'd never heard of or seen before - 236.

My Telus Wireless Home Phone could only be 778 though.

But as mentioned elsewhere...long distance is becoming a thing of the past. People will get over it.

@stonechucker wrote:

@stonechucker

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Degus222 wrote:

95% of the friends will have canada wide calling or texting. 

Yeah you're right. Long distance IS becoming more and more of a thing of the past.

Degus222
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

95% of the friends will have canada wide calling or texting. 

Degus222
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It is really easy. You can port it yourself just by following the steps. If you have issues message us on here...I ported my number from bc when I moved to alberta...just dont close your old account

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@shakti wrote:

hi 

i just moved from ontario to alberta i want to port in my ontario number is this possible please confirm 

thanks

Yup. And you'll save some tax. But everybody in AB will be calling you using long distance.

Get a Fongo AB number and always call forward to your ON number.  This setup is win-win-win.  Your ON friend continue to call your ON number.  Your new AB friends do not pay long distance.  You keep ON and AB friends happy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@shakti wrote:

hi 

thanks

Yup. And you'll save some tax. But everybody in AB will be calling you using long distance.

I would assume that porting the ON number means trying to keep it.  There's no tax savings.

Oh right. That's what I get for hurrying.

@Anonymous wrote:

@shakti wrote:

hi 

thanks

I would assume that porting the ON number means trying to keep it.  There's no tax savings.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@shakti, you are eligible to port any number as long as it resides in an active account.  Actual address does not affect eligibility.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shakti wrote:

hi 

thanks

Need Help? Let's chat.