cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

losing signal near the U.S.border

gw4156
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new to Public Mobile and have just moved to Sarnia, ON. My phone picks up a U.S. signal in part of the city and I am unable to use it since I don't have any roaming on my plan. The phone never leaves Canada and I don't know if there is some way to set my phone so it doesn't pick up a signal from the States when I am near the border. 

10 REPLIES 10

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@srlawren wrote:

@popping wrote:

@gw4156 

You can also disable roaming.  You phone will not connect to US phone towers with roaming disabled.

@popping some phones only allow you to disable data roaming, and turning off that flag won't prevent the phone from connecting to the US network.  Turning off automatic network selection and manually choosing Public Mobile does, however.

Thanks for the info.

srlawren

@popping wrote:

@gw4156 

You can also disable roaming.  You phone will not connect to US phone towers with roaming disabled.

@popping some phones only allow you to disable data roaming, and turning off that flag won't prevent the phone from connecting to the US network.  Turning off automatic network selection and manually choosing Public Mobile does, however.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

@gw4156 

This may not work with all phone.  Maske sure to manually select Public Mobile network as suggested by other members.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@gw4156  go in your settings and go in cellular and then shut off the automatic switch and it will take a minute or so to find the available networks and then click on public mobile. Then the phone will stay On public mobile even if the US tower has more signal 

gw4156

Iphone 6

gw4156

Thank you, sounds like a possible solution, will be trying it out today. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I had the same problem with any carrier I had, sometimes even had to restart the phone.

When I switched to Freedomemobile with unlimited roaming in USA then I didn't mind it anymore 

I don't think providers can help, your phone just gets into a dead zone and picks up the first available signal. I had that at home actually walking from one room to another. I think my neighbor installed repeater or some kind of antenna and it did help other people in my household

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

As a suggestion for those who live in border cities, in the phone settings do a search for mobile networks and manually select Public Mobile.  This will prevent the phone from connecting to any other network.  Normally, auto is the convenient default where the phone will select a network automatically based on what the SIM card will allow the phone to connect to.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@gw4156  what kind of phone?  We'll tell you how to set it so it doesn't do that! 

StephHfx

I've also had this issue on other carriers, I am not sure there is much you can do about it.   Your phone will try to connect to the best network.  You may be able to configure your phone to not roam. 

Need Help? Let's chat.