cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
softech
Mayor / Maire

Re: keeping my moms home phone number

yes, most likely is you can port over her phone to PM without issue.  You can confirm if porting eligible here (it's Koodo site, but Koodo and PM both owned by Telus):

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

But honest, for elderly, you might want to look for some VoIP solution like Fongo Home Phone or Primus.  It is around $5 to $10 per month (but might have activation charge).  I would say it is more reliable than cellular.   Especially you are not leaving with her , I assume.  Cell might have more expected issue and harder to support in case something goes wrong.  I have been using Fongo Home myself and it is solid (as long as internet is up and running).

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Also DO expect a refund from Bell for the unused portion of the billing. 

Jomp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you all for the great and fast responses. moms been sick the last year and is living with my sister so the landline is useless especially for $70 per month ... 

softech
Mayor / Maire

@Jomp  i guess if someone living with her, then support is not an issue  🙂

but still VoIP could be cheaper solution..   you can also connect a wireless phone units, 2 or 3 handsets.  

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@softech wrote:

yes, most likely is you can port over her phone to PM without issue.  You can confirm if porting eligible here (it's Koodo site, but Koodo and PM both owned by Telus):

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

But honest, for elderly, you might want to look for some VoIP solution like Fongo Home Phone or Primus.  It is around $5 to $10 per month (but might have activation charge).  I would say it is more reliable than cellular.   Especially you are not leaving with her , I assume.  Cell might have more expected issue and harder to support in case something goes wrong.  I have been using Fongo Home myself and it is solid (as long as internet is up and running).

I guess every one has their preferences and a price to pay monthly in mind. I can tell you the VOIP.ms is fantastic to deal with and our bill averages $13 a month including taxes. Billing is Canada Wide and US calls which we rarely call is only a bit more...not cents more!! We usually us FaceTime for USA calls.  Voip.ms like PM does not charge to call 800 numbers as well. 

I know I have said this before:

Voip.ms is fully programmable vs others

Can forward, if you like, all call to both of our cell phones as well

Voice mail is also emailed to you in MP4 as well, if you set up. 

Loads and loads of space to block calls. 

@softech  elderly?? How old is that??

Voip does require wi-fi and depending on the service also an ATA box best hardwired to modem. 

BlueB
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jomp 

Bonus tip: Before activating with Public Mobile, look for promotions that will benefit you.  For example, use a friend/family's referral code to get a one-time $10 credit!  Your friend/family member will get $1 every month off their service.  (If for some reason you don't have someone to refer you, we're all members here and would be happy to help you with a code if needed.)

There are other promotions that may be of benefit to you too, such as a 2GB bonus for $35/mo+ plans.  Register here and you'll need to enter the promocode upon activating online:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/pd3-3523583103?dclid=CN6_jrHNj_ACFdJ6YgodMYQE5g&cmp=BAC_Public-Mob...

Canadian Cell Supplies is a popular online retailer who often have promos too.

Hmm...

That's interesting, @softech - thanks for providing that.  I learned something new today too!  🙂

Moved:

BlueB
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LurganIeUk wrote:

...they may also start sending you greeting cards saying We Miss You! 

After I cancelled, they mailed me greeting cards for a few months asking me to go back! 😂

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@BlueB wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

...they may also start sending you greeting cards saying We Miss You! 

After I cancelled, they mailed me greeting cards for a few months asking me to go back! 😂

70 bucks is outrageous for a land line. I you appeal properly Telus will make your land line $5 a month for ever. Money is in internet and TV. But then again there is Bell!!!

If mother is ok with keeping cell phone close...the $15 plan and some $5 500 minute add-ons would likely fit the bill OR tell every one to call her. 

Jomp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thanks! 🙏

Need Help? Let's chat.