cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep the same number

Dantorstol
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi I recently tried to enter my previous number but it was unable to identify this number.... any thoughts to why this has happened? Now I do not have a local number 

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Idrees wrote:

i want to switch my public mobile number to virgin bec last time i paid the bill but they did't activate my services now i am trying to switch but it can't be transfer bec its not active number need to be actice if someone have the solution

Please post a screen snip of your overview page so we can see what you have going on. Blank out personal info of course.

I suspect you'll need to contact the moderators but we'll see.

Idrees
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i want to switch my public mobile number to virgin bec last time i paid the bill but they did't activate my services now i am trying to switch but it can't be transfer bec its not active number need to be actice if someone have the solution

@slash407 wrote:

u cant request an exact number with anyone, unless ur a bizz and paying alot of money

A carrier can't assign a phone number unless it is in their pool of available phone numbers. 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @Dantorstol ,

Forgive me if I am being too basic but I just want to clarify the standard procedure that everyone, irrespective of the carrier they are with, has to follow in order to port their number:

The number must be active and in good standing and you must initiate the number port request from the new carrier where you are moving to.  As soon as the new carrier claims your number, the account with the old service provider is deactivated and final bill sent to you.

If you did what I am saying above, then there is hope and you can reach out to the @CS_Agent via private message and get it sorted.  However, if you called and cancelled your account with the previous carrier before you initiated the number port request with Public mobile, then your number is lost.  Telus may be able to help you by reviving your account so that you can port out. How long has it been?

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dantorstol wrote:

The old number was currently active until I made the switch 

you said YOU deactivated it. You are NOT supposed to touch your old account. 

Your old number will be automatically deactivaed by the porting process afterward. 

Dantorstol

The old number was currently active until I made the switch 

liuxinbing

@Dantorstol wrote:

i Was currently with Telus and I deactivated my account as soon as I got my SIM card, I was hoping I was able to keep the same number I originally had and when I check the number eligibility. It says: we were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Make sure you entered your number correctly 

Because you deactived it first, which means you no longer own it, therefore you would not be able to port it anymore. It is not yours anymore.

Dantorstol

i Was currently with Telus and I deactivated my account as soon as I got my SIM card, I was hoping I was able to keep the same number I originally had and when I check the number eligibility. It says: we were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Make sure you entered your number correctly 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dantorstol that is odd but I guess it depends on the situation.  Is your number a Canadian number?  Is your current number active/suspended/cancelled with the previous provider?  Is your number a local number based on the city/region you entered in your profile? 

Just trying to understand a bit more of the situation, seems odd that the number you entered was not recognized as a legit/eligible number. 

mh1983

Noted, though I didn't think I was doing anything differently from other posters. Just trying to get more info and posting what comes to mind wrt details that would help us provide better support.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Dantorstol wrote:

Hi I recently tried to enter my previous number but it was unable to identify this number.... any thoughts to why this has happened? Now I do not have a local number 

@Dantorstol  A couple of things to keep in mind when trying to keep you number from another provider when switching to Public Mobile.

1. You account with the previous provider needs to be active
  2. You should be able to setup the port using selfserve online. You just need to provide the info requested.
  3. If your previous provider wss Koodo prepaid then you can't use the method in 2. You need to contact the Public Mobile Team* and they will do the phone number port for you.The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message requesting that you want to port your number from Koodo prepaid and include your name, Koodo account number and phone number and then post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm(Eastern).

Hope this helps!

liuxinbing

@Dantorstol wrote:

Hi I recently tried to enter my previous number 

What does "enter"  mean?

I ported my rogers number to PM last night. That was so easy and quick, out of my imagination. 

@mh1983 wrote:

Not clear on what you're trying to do: port a number or select a number from a drop down on PM. Can you provide more info? And maybe a current status of your account -- what plan it's on, what's working, what isn't, etc.

Small forum etiquette suggestion, don't lengthen the thread with repetition.  If someone has already posted something, no need to do the same or very similar post again.  It will just make for more effort for OP to sort through everything.  

mh1983

Not clear on what you're trying to do: port a number or select a number from a drop down on PM. Can you provide more info? And maybe a current status of your account -- what plan it's on, what's working, what isn't, etc.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

When selecting to transfer a number, the eligibility check simply confirms the number is in an active account with a competing carrier brand.  It sounds like the service may be suspended with the old carrier.  @Dantorstol , don't worry about your temporary number.  Once the number transfer issue is sorted out, you will be able to make the transfer.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Dantorstol wrote:

Give us more details if you need some help.Smiley Happy

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Dantorstol wrote:

Hello,

Are you trying to port a number to Public Mobile? From where?

Need Help? Let's chat.