cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just activated SIM what is my next step?

rt345
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi all

I just bought a sim card and activated it and paid for the service online

i haven't actually plugged in the sim card to my phone yet

when do I actually do this or I should ask when do I know the service has been ported over that the sim will connect once I plug it in?

and also during the activation process the system didn't require me to enter the mobile company will it know who to talk to to port number over from?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

rt345
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you all! It works now! Just pop it in and it works!

It doesn't actually matter when you insert your sim card into your phone.  It can before or after activation.  It also has no affect on number porting.  Since you've already activated your service, you might as well insert your sim card and start using the service.  This has not affect on porting.  Once you receive the text message that porting has been successful, everything should be done, and once that happens, incoming text messages and incoming phone calls should start working.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

pop the sim in and once the port completes you will get an port complete sms.

if after a couple hours the port fails (ie you can not receive calls from non telus family brands) then you will need to contact the mods.  if you entered the info correctly it should go be fine.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

During the activation process you should have had the option to set up a new number or port an existing number over. Once all steps are complete you should be able to put the SIM in immediately. The port may take time to process but if everything goes perfectly it can be almost instantaneous. 

More info on the setup process can be found here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Get-Started-With-Public-Mobile/...

Edit: Here’s a link to a post specifically about porting. It shows you the steps for porting during activation or porting a number after the fact via the self serve options. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-move-my-cell-phone-number-to...

Need Help? Let's chat.