cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issue with phone call

Khoadang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, actually I have an issue with my SIM, I activated the Public Mobile and keep the existing number from Tbaytel. I waited for 2 hours already. My issue is that I can make a phone call to my friend but he cannot give me a phone call as well as text. When I change back to Tbaytel, he can do it. What is the problem, what should I do? If anyone has a issue like that please give me some advice. Thank you

24 REPLIES 24

@DarianDNewell 

Once the porting authorization text is recieved and responded to by the customer the old provider will initiate the port. This can take from a couple of minutes to 2 hours to complete. Anything beyond 2 hours indicates a stuck port (for a myriad of reasons) unless you are porting a landline ( usually 2 or 3 days but up to a week) or a voip number ( up to a week) or number holding service ( like number barn) can take up to 2 weeks. In these situations it is recommended you take a temporary phone number so you full services and you contact a moderator to port in your phone number.

Telus and koodo ports now require a temporary number to be taken and moderator to do the port request. In the OP's case they can either contact the moderators to reintiate the port request or call the telus porting department themselves. This phone number is supposed to be shared via private message only otherwise your post will be deleted from the community. I suggest if you see it write it down to help others when the time comes and share it with them privately. Public access to this number has caused it to be called for reasons other than porting which they cannot help with and wastes their time and ties up the phone line delaying service for those needing help with their porting issues.

DarianDNewell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So to finish the port they need to insert their sim card during office hours and the port will happen automatically? I've heard something like it happens between 2-48 (78?) Hours.

Or is it typically the case of a worker manually inputting the port request where OP may have missed the window that his port was being done?

If #2: who does op have to contact to get this through? Public mods, or his previous service providers call centre?

@DarianDNewell 

That is correct but thats because the OP did not leave the old sim card in their phone long enough to recieve and respond to the porting authorization text. No port will be initiated without confirmation from the customer thus the the old account and sim card remains active until this is done.

DarianDNewell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It just sounds like your sim hasn't been deactivated from your previous service provider, you're right to wait a little bit of call their support line.

@Khoadang 

Good call to wait til morning....you don't want to recieve the text while you are still sleeping. I believe the porting department  opens at 7 am et. Call at your leisure. After responding to the text the port should take mere minutes but 2 hours maximum. Welcome to public mobile!

@computergeek541 

Good to know exactly how it stands....thank you.

@darlicious wrote:
@darlicious wrote:

Tbaytel? Thunderbay? Telus/koodo/pm phone numbers are scarce in that region are you sure your old provider will release your phone number to public mobile?

Telus Mobility/Public Mobile does offer customers Thunder Bay numbers. That being the case, Tbaytel doesn't have a choice.

@computergeek541 

Are you sure about this? I recall another user from north western ontario forced to give up her number because the municipal phone company refused to relinquish it.

Yeah, I'm sure.  Number portability rules are mandated. The more likely scenario would be that it was from a place such as Dryden. As Public Mobile doesn't have Dryden phone numbers, a Dryden can't be ported to Public Mobile from any carrier.  

@darlicious wrote:

Tbaytel? Thunderbay? Telus/koodo/pm phone numbers are scarce in that region are you sure your old provider will release your phone number to public mobile?

Telus Mobility/Public Mobile does offer customers Thunder Bay numbers. That being the case, Tbaytel doesn't have a choice.

@computergeek541 

Are you sure about this? I recall another user from north western ontario forced to give up her number because the municipal phone company refused to relinquish it.

This might help. 

My voip provider just emailed it to me. 

Have you tried porting a Canadian mobile number lately and felt like the process was a bit cumbersome?

In the past few months Canadian mobile providers added some layers of security to numbers porting operations. This is in a global effort to fight against SIM swapping and unauthorized port-outs.

As a matter of fact, most of them implemented a new SMS-based verifications system for any number transfer. The process is that whenever your mobile carrier receives a porting request for your number, an automated SMS message will be sent back to you requiring you to confirm the transfer within 90 minutes.

While the entire process is still being finetuned, this might create some headache if you plan to port a mobile phone number. Make sure to pay close attention to any SMS messages that will come from your provider to accept the request.

@darlicious wrote:

@Khoadang 

If you did not recieve and respond to the porting authorization text you must contact the moderators or the telus porting department to reintiate your port. Once you have done this ( make sure you have your account # from your old provider ready) reinsert your old sim to be able to recieve and respond to the porting authorization text. Your old account is still active keep the sim card in your phone to send and recieve calls and texts until you your port is re-initiated. Check your private message box...I will send you the telus porting department number. 

@RossN wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

@RossN wrote:

@Khoadang wrote:

Hi, actually I have an issue with my SIM, I activated the Public Mobile and keep the existing number from Tbaytel. I waited for 2 hours already. My issue is that I can make a phone call to my friend but he cannot give me a phone call as well as text. When I change back to Tbaytel, he can do it. What is the problem, what should I do? If anyone has a issue like that please give me some advice. Thank you

@Khoadang hello it can take 2 to 4 hours for a port to complete you must leave your old sim in to receive a text from them you must reply within 90 minutes to confirm your port 

@RossN , i don't believe the OP has initiated a port from previous supplier yet.   Have you, @Khoadang ?

@HALIMACS sounds to me like he did

Part of initial post was, "I activated the Public Mobile and keep the existing number from Tbaytel"

I took that to mean they kept the existing number with previous supplier, however could also read that they kept it by porting to PM.   You could be (probably are) correct.

Khoadang

I bought it from Thunder Bay

@Khoadang wrote:

I activated it at 6pm, I will wait until tomorrow to test it again, I insert the old sim into my phone again and I will wait. Thank you

Was your Public Mobile SIM card in the phone the whole time?  That could cause a problem because you need to reply to a text message that the old carrier sends you to approve the phone number transfer.

Also, which city is your phone number from? There are some phone numbers in Tbabytel territory that cannot be ported to Public Mobile because of a lack of Telus Mobility presence and phone numbers in that city.

@Khoadang wrote:

I activated it at 6pm, I will wait until tomorrow to test it again, I insert the old sim into my phone again and I will wait. Thank you

It should not take that long unless it is a landline. Here is the HDI.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Transferring-or-Changing-your-Phone-Num...

@Khoadang wrote:

IF you're porting (transferring) your previous number over to public mobile, yes, leave the old SIM in until you get the confirmation text authorizing a port.

IF you're NOT porting, and you don't have service in the morning after another reboot, contact Moderators to advise.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@RossN wrote:

@Khoadang wrote:

@Khoadang hello it can take 2 to 4 hours for a port to complete you must leave your old sim in to receive a text from them you must reply within 90 minutes to confirm your port 

@RossN , i don't believe the OP has initiated a port from previous supplier yet.   Have you, @Khoadang ?

@HALIMACS sounds to me like he did

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Khoadang wrote:

Hi @Khoadang if you can make calls and send texts, that's good.  Is your data ok?  if yes, your activation is complete.  The last thing to provision is receiving calls and text.  Keep your old provider sim card in your device.  When it stops working, your port is complete.

I am sending you the Port Team number to call in case your port is stuck.  Please make sure that this number is only used for porting problems.  Look in the envelope icon on top right, to get the number.

Welcome to Public Mobile

RosieR

Khoadang

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Khoadang 

Your port is not complete.

@RossN wrote:

@Khoadang wrote:

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Khoadang wrote:

@Khoadang hello it can take 2 to 4 hours for a port to complete you must leave your old sim in to receive a text from them you must reply within 90 minutes to confirm your port if its been more than a couple of hour contact a moderator by clicking the chat circle in the lower right corner an type port request 

Khoadang

I tried it many times and it still does not work.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Khoadang 

Try rebooting, removing and reinserting SIM card.

It will eventually work.  

Usually incoming calls are the last to function.

Need Help? Let's chat.