cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there any risk if I don't like the plan , cancell the service

qiao
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Someone sent me a public SIM, and said : 

It is completely free to mail you a public mobile phone sim card with a balance of 25 $. The mobile card will activate the 25 $ plan before delivery, and it can be used immediately after mailed out.

is it safe for me to test-use the public mobile service? 

what if my cellphone is not compatible, or I don't like the reception, etc...

can I cancel it without any trouble 

15 REPLIES 15

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @qiao 

Do you have access to your selfserve?

I find it a bit troubling if somebody you don't trust sets up your selfserve. 

If you do have access to it you can contact moderators to change your PIN date of birth on the file, you can also change the email/login through moderators. You can use aliases

All the other info you can change yourself. You may wish to mispell on purpose if you provided them with your p personal info. 

You can also change your number once every 30 days or port in any time.

You can port in your fongo or TextNow number after 3 month of having service if you wish.

So you are able to change everything except the account number, but that should be pretty harmless if they don't have other info.

If they didn't setup your selfserve, go ahead set it up yourself, you will have to use the email that was provided during sim activation, but again you can change it by contacting moderators.

You can choose to keep that service, you can change it or discarded it at any point. Try it out and decide

Welcome to public mobile

@AE_Collector 

Pay as you go chargers per minute, can be prepaid or postpaid.

When 711 just started it had true pay as you go prepaid, but then they had to start charging 911 fee, it's 1.25/mnth

Freedom when it was wind had something very close to classical postpaid pay as you go. The incoming are free and you pay outgoing per minute/txt. The fee was $5/month. 

You can think of old10 or plan as almost pay as you go, you had option to buy minutes but you couldn't buy more texts

Anonymous
Not applicable

If "someone" tosses you a SIM and saying it'll just work with no further action on your part other than inserting it...have a go.

Maybe put it in a factory reset phone.

But I don't have a criminal mind so I'm not sure what benefit this is to the sender.

qiao

yes, I believe you are right . I believe that he is a dealer , or work for a dealer .

what should I do next ?  take it or refuse it ?  or just test-use it for a month , then discard it , just like a sampling food. 

If they are "a dealer" they must get some kick back for activations like Walmart and London Drugs etc. I can see an individual doing this to get referrals but on a larger scale what does one do with hundreds of $1/30 day Referal credits? 

As for "Pay as you Go" service... That IS effectively what PM service is, isn't it? 

AE _Collector

@darlicious this is the same company with the $15 referral scam on Amazon.

@Jb456  I put the right 30 days cycle in the first answer and messed it up in the second. Going to get coffee.

@qiao  there is no advantage with that offer. You can order your own SIM card here  https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart and activate with any plan and any referral code, and still get the $10  discount.

@Jb456   Google the modemoutlet in Ottawa and look at what they offer....maybe this is what the OP means by preloaded,

@qiao  The closest plan go pay as you go would be the $15 plan ($13 w/autopay). It has free incoming/outgoing  SMS/MMS international texts, free incoming calling and 100 minutes of Canada wide outgoing calling minutes. You also get 250mb of data w/autopay. You can supplement the plan with the $5/500min calling add on that rolls over each month til depleted.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can purchase vouchers or use recharge.com to make a payment instead of setting up autopay with a credit card.

@qiao  sorry, there is no pay as you go option here. It's monthly 30 day prepaid only. 

qiao

what if i change it Pay as go , instead of monthly plan ? 

is it possible ? 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@qiao  PM is a prepaid service, there are no refunds. As Its run through the Telus network and  there is no cost to cancel. So, the only loss to you would be the $25. You can also try it for a 30 day cycle  on the $15 plan and then change to the $25 one. To cancel simple remove the autopay credit card from your self service account. Here are two articles. They basically explain it all.

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

Feel free to browse the site and if you have any other questions please ask. You can post the make and model amd sub model of your phone jere and we wpuld be happy to chexk its compatibility. You can also transfer/ port  your old number over. Don't forget to use a referral code for a one time payment $10 activation credit.  If you require one please ask. Someone here will be happy to provide theirs.

Need Help? Let's chat.