cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone4, vs:7.1.2, Unable to use Data

ChateauTom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have data on my plan, want to be able to send texts with pictures and use Safari.  I have tried to follow setup instructions, with no luck.  Please advise how to set up.

9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@ChateauTom wrote:

I have data on my plan, want to be able to send texts with pictures and use Safari.  I have tried to follow setup instructions, with no luck.  Please advise how to set up.

Hopefully this walk-through gives you more success.  I carried it out on an iPhone 4

@CalgaryBen awesome walkthrough.  I have bookmarked the permalink [ https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/iPhone4-vs-7-1-2-Unable-to-use-Data/m... ] for future use.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@ChateauTom Not sure whether you have completely given up but I can attest that the procedure outlined here will allow data connection for iPhone 4, and even iPhone 3g. Only other thought is to be sure phone is set for 3g networks.

If you are looking for a cheap used iPhone to get him started look here: https://www.getorchard.com. I know personally of 3 purchased from them who were pleased. I am still using my original iPhone 5.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ChateauTom

Thanks CalgaryBen

My wife and I have an iPhone5s and a Blackberry Z10 and both work well on PublicMobile.  We decided to bring my wife's brother into the world with a cell phone and all we had in the house was an iPhone4.

PM was offering the $25 kickback to both user and referrer and thought it was a good idea to give it a try. Unfortunately the iPhone4 was not the one to use to give it a try.  Thanks for your help

ChateauTom

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ChateauTom wrote:

I believe MMS is not available for the iPhone4, perhaps the 4S.  I can make Safari work on the iPhone4 but not MMS.  If there is someone out there that has an iPhone4 and can send photos, please advise.

Well, to be precise, MMS on Public Mobile using the iPhone 4 is not possible because iOS 7 (which is the maximum for iPhone 4) does not have the carrier configurations for Public Mobile.  It probably does have the configurations for the big carriers (i.e. Telus, Bell, Rogers), so in theory MMS on the iPhone 4 using those carriers would work.

The only way I'm aware of to make MMS work on the iPhone 4 while staying on Public Mobile will be, as I mentioned before, to jailbreak the iOS 7.2.1 and then manually modify the configuration file.  The effort and background required to carry this out is way beyond the scope of what is reasonable, given that getting a slightly newer phone (4S+) will implicitly resolve the problem here.

ChateauTom

I believe MMS is not available for the iPhone4, perhaps the 4S.  I can make Safari work on the iPhone4 but not MMS.  If there is someone out there that has an iPhone4 and can send photos, please advise.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ChateauTom wrote:

Hopefully this walk-through gives you more success.  I carried it out on an iPhone 4 with IOS 7.2.1 and then confirmed I could use Safari, but I didn't test MMSEdit: I just tested on an iPhone 4, and while regular internet access worked, MMS did not (regular SMS did work, however).  Sorry, if MMS is a must-have, you'll need to upgrade to at least an iPhone 4S or newer (or jailbreak the iPhone and figure out how to set the MMS proxy and other settings manually).  Side note: For iPhone 4S users on iOS 9.3.5, no need to carry out the following steps; the carrier profile will just work to allow internet and MMS to work.

Ensure there aren't any configuration profiles currently installed, since they could interfere with proper functioning of cellular data.  To check, go into Settings --> General, and scroll down to the bottom of this section.  Above "Reset", you'll either see "Profile" or not.  If it's there, it's recommended that you tap on it to go into the installed profiles, and Remove each one.

Next, ensure you're connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot and can access the internet.  Launch Safari and go to the URL http://unlockit.co.nz, and click on the "Create APN" option (icon looks like a file box, circled in red below) at the bottom, then select "Canada" for Country, and "Public Mobile" for Carrier.  Then click on the "Create APN" button:

Img_0009.png

This will open a new tab/browsing page, similar to the one below (Received date will be the current date).  Click on the "Install" button:

IMG_0010.PNG

You'll be prompted to confirm installation of the profile.  Click on "Install Now".  If your device is passcode locked, you'll be prompted to enter the passcode here.  You'll then see the caption "Profile Installed", and you can then click on Done.

You shouldn't need to restart your phone for the settings to take effect, but doing so wouldn't hurt.  Check to ensure the new profile has been installed, by going into Settings --> General, and scrolling to the bottom and selecting Profile.  You should see something resembling the following:

IMG_0013.PNG

Turn off your WiFi and ensure that you see "3G" at the top of the screen, near "Public Mobile".  In Safari or another browser, ensure you can access the internet to confirm that the APN has been properly set.

If there is a need to confirm that your APN is set, and Public Mobile is giving your device an IP address, I can provide subsequent instructions on doing that (uses Field Test mode).

mimmo

@ChateauTom @Did you visit the website in the link.

This might be  better thread 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/APN-setting-with-iphone-4-ios-7/m-p/54513...

If you do not like that one search the community for iPhone 4 apn or even just search for http://www.unlockit.co.nz there are lots of threads with marked solutions.

Many people have sucessfully gotten their data working this way.

ChateauTom

I get it that it is easy to suggest something that is previously written on your blog, but the simple fact is that the info that you have redirected me to, simply does not work.  Is it possible for someone to respond that has actually set up an iPhone4 for data.  

Thanks

mimmo

You have to visit a special site to update your apn settings.  See this thread

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Question-RE-Setting-Up-APN-Settings-on-an...

Need Help? Let's chat.