cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 7 Plus Mobile Hotspot question

ryanyu_3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi @CS_Agent,

I am hoping this is an easy question to answer. I am looking to purchase the current promo 30-day plan (4.5GB for $40) for my iPhone 7 Plus. My key use will be to use the mobile hotspot on this device so that I can connect a wifi camera to it. I want to know if this is possible and if so, are there specific settings I need to adjust on my iPhone to allow for this other than turning on the personal hotspot feature? Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

BarryS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stonechucker wrote:

@BarryS

The plans are FULL LTE or Throttled LTE to 3G speeds.  The only way you're on a 3G connection is during voice calls (not supported on LTE), or if you've forced your phone to 3G Only.

Public Mobile is fully capable of full LTE speeds.

@stonechucker Yes, thanks for clarifying.  Poor wording on my part!  I should have been more specific to the plan being discussed in the original thread as it is throttled LTE to 3G speeds.

krzcnck

I have no problem using my iphone 7 plus as a hotspot 

@ryanyu_3 wrote:

Thank you! I thought I had saw some users reporting issues with the hotspot feature on their iPhones to their PCs or iPads and had to change some settings so I was worried.

I use my 6s to hotspot to my ipad 3 while at the lake to watch hockey games. First when it starts there is a slight lag (which might be the ipad 3) but after that it works fine with great resolution.

@BarryS

The plans are FULL LTE or Throttled LTE to 3G speeds.  The only way you're on a 3G connection is during voice calls (not supported on LTE), or if you've forced your phone to 3G Only.

Public Mobile is fully capable of full LTE speeds.

BarryS

@ryanyu_3 your only concern may be that PM operates at 3G speeds, not full LTE, so anything to do with streaming, etc., may be a bit slower.  Just something to keep in mind.

ryanyu_3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you! I thought I had saw some users reporting issues with the hotspot feature on their iPhones to their PCs or iPads and had to change some settings so I was worried.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ryanyu_3

If its a PM compatible device...should work for you...also...you are posting in a public forum here...we are all customers like you are or will be...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ryanyu_3, Public Mobile allows hotspot usage.  There is nothing exceptional on the carrier end to worry about.  I believe the iPhone software has a hotspot feature that can be turned on and off quite easily (see youtube video link below).  I think you are good to go.  BTW, if you use auto pay, you will receive an extra 500 MB data bonus on top of the $2 auto pay reward.  Don't forget to also use refer a friend and get a $25 one time reward for online activation.  These are covered in the announcements in this forum. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Nn0RyEY3I

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Mobile hotspot should work just fine with PM.  Just use it the normal way using the iPhone hotspot function.

Need Help? Let's chat.