cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5s, can't set APN

Mothman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Arg...

I've previously set up two phones on Public, and it went well, no issues.

However, the latest phone (my daughters) turned out to be a lousy phone, so we want to switch her to an iPhone 5s I have.

I've plugged in the SIM (taken from previous phone, put in iPhone) and I'm on the Public Network, but only on 3G, not LTE, or whatever it should be for data (there is data on her plan).

I go into Setting - Cellular, Cellular Data Network, and it doesn't let me set any APN settings... instead it shows "Personal Hotspot" with only isp.mb.com as the APN, and Username, and Password, and an option to "reset Settings"

If I turn off wifi, I am unable to access internet on the phone.

28 REPLIES 28

Mothman

Thanks for the follow up.  The problem was just that the plan had run out of data for the month.  Rookie mistake.

@Mothman wrote:

@LovesToPMUnder Cellular I see:

Cellular Data (turned on)

Cellular Data Options (In there, there is Enable LTE, on, and Data Roaming, off)

Personal Hotspot (off)

Then there is a section labelled Public Mobile, and under there is
Carrier Services (inside there, DIrectory assistance, Taxi)

Network Selection (set to Auto, and says "Public Mobile")

Cellular Data Network (in there is where it has Personal Hotspot settings, those being APN, Username, Password, and reset settings)

SIM PIN

Hopefully you have been able to get data working. If not, the setting error I see here is that Data Roaming should be ON.

Although not required, I find setting to 3G rather than Auto, or LTE, is more stable.

The other easy fix for many messaging issues is to turn iMessage and Facetime OFF for 10 minutes then turn ON again. This will reset Apple's servers to your current settings.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mothman wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@Mothman iMessage doesn't use data IF you have SMS fall back setup.

eg

OK yeah... I need to figure out how to get iMessage to stop messing with me...

When I send a text from my phone to my daughters, she receives it fine.  When I reply from her phone to mine, it sends as an iMessage, and it doesn't get sent to the text screen I sent from on my phne... it gets sent to me from her apple ID... and I don't want that... it makes it so my messages to her are on one page, and the ones I receive from her are on a different page... why is Apple so confusing???

Because they want you all to themselves in their own little sandbox drinking their koolaid.  🙂

Switch to the dark side, Android Smiley Very Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mothman wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

eg

When I send a text from my phone to my daughters, she receives it fine.  When I reply from her phone to mine, it sends as an iMessage, and it doesn't get sent to the text screen I sent from on my phne... it gets sent to me from her apple ID... and I don't want that... it makes it so my messages to her are on one page, and the ones I receive from her are on a different page... why is Apple so confusing???

Because they want you all to themselves in their own little sandbox drinking their koolaid.  🙂

Mothman

@GinYVR wrote:

eg

Enable SMS and MMS in iOS MessagesEnable SMS and MMS in iOS Messages

@Mothman At this stage if you live near an Apple Store, I would recommend you go and make an appointment with the genius there to diagnoise the issue. It sounds like a software one, so there is usually no charge.

eg

Enable SMS and MMS in iOS MessagesEnable SMS and MMS in iOS Messages

@Mothman wrote:

So the text message I tried to send eventually timed out and I had the option to send again as iMessage (sending to another iphone) or send as a text...

I'm pretty cell-phone dumb... does iMessage use data?

If you have iMessage enabled, you need data or wifi enabled to send and receive text messages.

Mothman

So the text message I tried to send eventually timed out and I had the option to send again as iMessage (sending to another iphone) or send as a text...

I'm pretty cell-phone dumb... does iMessage use data?

Mothman

@GinYVR wrote:

@Mothman For both SIM cards, voice works?

Just tested voice, outgoing and incoming , and it works.

I also tried texting... and incoming worked but outgoing is not working

@Mothman wrote:

@all  ... wait.... I just logged into my account and its not showing data at all... along with a note that if data isn't showing, it can be because it's been all used up for this period.... this plan (for my kid) only has a small amount of data... is it possible the only issue is we've used all the data for this month>?

Looks like you have found the answer.

@Mothman For both SIM cards, voice works?

Mothman

@GinYVRThe phone was just put through a full reset / erase all before trying to get it set up on Public.

Mothman

@all  ... wait.... I just logged into my account and its not showing data at all... along with a note that if data isn't showing, it can be because it's been all used up for this period.... this plan (for my kid) only has a small amount of data... is it possible the only issue is we've used all the data for this month>?

@Mothman What provider was the phone previously with? Are there any special profiles installed? If you don't have anything valuable on the phone you can do Erase All.. under Settings -> General -> Reset and start afresh.

Mothman

@cloud19It's showing LTE now... but still no data without wifi

cloud19
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It might be the signal is not strong enough to that phone.

Try go to outside and see if you can get LTE signal.

Mothman

@GinYVR 

OK, so the iPhone now is saying LTE... but still can't get data without Wifi.

I took this SIM from an android phone where data was working.

Mothman

@LovesToPMUnder Cellular I see:

Cellular Data (turned on)

Cellular Data Options (In there, there is Enable LTE, on, and Data Roaming, off)

Personal Hotspot (off)

Then there is a section labelled Public Mobile, and under there is
Carrier Services (inside there, DIrectory assistance, Taxi)

Network Selection (set to Auto, and says "Public Mobile")

Cellular Data Network (in there is where it has Personal Hotspot settings, those being APN, Username, Password, and reset settings)

SIM PIN

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Mothman Since you had mentioned that you have successfully switched to Public Mobile before, can you swap the SIM card from one of those phone into the 5s to confirm it is not an account issue?

Even if you get 3G you should able to get data.

@Mothman wrote:

@will13amwhen I go into Settings, I don't see "Mobile Data" as a setting option.

If I go to Settings, in that area I only see Airplane Mode, WiFi, Bluetooth, Cellular, Personal Hotspot

@Mothman , you said you already don't found the LTE setting and have it selected.  Sometimes network congestion or coverage may mean access to only 3G in certain locations.  Maybe this is what's happening.

@Mothman wrote:

@will13amwhen I go into Settings, I don't see "Mobile Data" as a setting option.

If I go to Settings, in that area I only see Airplane Mode, WiFi, Bluetooth, Cellular, Personal Hotspot

Try "Cellular"

Mothman

Mothman

@rfg the model is A1533, so should be ok.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mothman , LTE and 3G settings have nothing to do with APN.  I suggest leaving The APN on sp.mb.com.  Take a look at this look on for to switch between LTE and 3G.

https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/apple/iphone-6s/ios-11/guides/24/Switch-between-3G-4G-Ap...

rfg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It may be possible that you have one of the 5s models that were designed for the Chinese market.  The A1518 and A1528 models don't support 4G on Public Mobile.  

You can check that using the "Check your phone's compatibility" tool on this page: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Mothman

Oof, didn't even think about updating the iOS. THe phone had been wiped just before I set it up, maybe reverted to old iOS?

There is an update, doing it now... will report back once done.

Although, having just said that... it looks like it was already version 12 something... so it's a minor update... not sure the update will change anything?

@LovesToPMI don't see where to enable LTE...?

Sorry, another Edit... found the LTE setting, already turned on.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Mothman 

Which iOS version does it have? Check if there is an update available.

If there is old provider APN settings on it, you can reset settings to remove it.

You can also enable LTE. Reboot phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.