cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4s to iPhone 12 Upgrade

deketele
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I searched the community but did not see a specific answer to my question, which is ... I have an iPhone 4s which I’ve used with Public Mobile for some time now.  Will the SIM card that is installed in that 4s port to an iPhone 12 mini without changes to the card size ?

6 REPLIES 6

@deketele wrote:

I searched the community but did not see a specific answer to my question, which is ... I have an iPhone 4s which I’ve used with Public Mobile for some time now.  Will the SIM card that is installed in that 4s port to an iPhone 12 mini without changes to the card size ?

Unfortunately, whether you need a new SIM card can only be determined by examining if your SIM card can be rezized by removing some of the plastic.  This can largely depend on when you purchased it.  SIM cards from 2015/early 2016 usually only allowed for them to be used in one SIM-sizing type of phone.  

metropublic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@deketele  Punch-out the card to the smaller size and insert the sim in your new phone and you should be good to go.

ss.png

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@deketele wrote:

iPhone 4S uses Micro-SIM.

iPhone 12 Mini uses Nano-SIM (and eSIM).

Yes, you can (re)use your existing PM SIM card. You can just remove ("punch out") the plastic spacer to make the SIM card fit into a smaller form factor. You can just put the plastic spacer back onto it to make the SIM card fit into a larger form factor. They're physically keyed (shaped) to make it impossible to install in wrong orientations. They're just plastic shells, they don't contain any electrical wires or traces or circuitry. They're specifically designed to be scaled up or down as necessary.

Save the plastic form spacer (alongside your iPhone SIM slot opening tool) just in case. You can use it with any SIM card (even those which aren't issued by PM).

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need a small sim size - nano.  If you need to purchase a new sim, they can be ordered from Canadian Cell supplies for $4.99.

https://canadiancellsupplies.com

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@deketele wrote:

@deketele Short answer is no, it is not the same sized sim cards. The 4s uses a micro sim and the 12 uses a nano sim. If you started with a 3in1 sim in the 4s you can just pop out the nano sim. Otherwise google "cut micro sim to nano sim". I have done it a few times, very easy to do. If you do manage to mess it up, you needed a new sim card anyways.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@deketele Both phones uses different sizes. iPhone 4s uses Micro and iPhone 12 needs nano. Good news is that you can still use the same sim card on your iPhone 12. You can punch out the sim card to make it nano size. 

Need Help? Let's chat.