cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 not connecting to network

dustycclarke
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am setting up an unlocked iPhone 4 and I cannot get it to connect to the network.

I have verified it is unlocked, compatible, set up the SIM card, powered down and reset etc., reset network settings on the phone.

What other steps can I take?

Did I turn something off in Settings when I set the restrictions up (kids phone)? 

8 REPLIES 8

@dustycclarke after you get the sim to connect to the network, you need to edit the apn settings to get data working. take a look at this article

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/iPhone-4-3GS-3G/m-p/13467

dustycclarke

No, I don't believe it was ever connected to itunes. 

I have forwarded these instructions to them and Ill update my post when I hear back.

Thanks!

@dustycclarke wrote:

Will it matter who's itunes it syncs to at this point? 

I had to send the phone with the kids so I'll be walking another person through the steps over the phone.

For an iPhone 4, an unlock isn't complete until after a factory reset has been done and the phone is connected to iTunes. Was that ever done?

iTunes is only needed to get past the on-device activation screen.  If it's not your iTunes account on the computer, ensure that the device doesn't sync/copy files to the other person's account.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@dustycclarke 

Try turning the phone off, removing the SIM card. Waiting a few minutes, then re-insert the SIM card and turn the phone back on. Sounds like a strange fix but I have had a few that this worked for. 

Have an amazing day!

dustycclarke

Triguy, Thank you! I actually had done this already.

dustycclarke

Will it matter who's itunes it syncs to at this point? 

I had to send the phone with the kids so I'll be walking another person through the steps over the phone.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try putting it in airplane mode then change it back.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@dustycclarke sync it to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.