cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessaging not working

va3lim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We're new to PM and iMessaging does not seem to work well on our 3 iPhones (iPhone 8, iPhone 6, iPhone 5).  2 are on $15 prepaid plan and 1 is on $10 prepaid plan.  All of them are on latest iOS and we have tried resetting and rebooting, and even trying changing APN from "isp.mb.com" to "sp.mb.com", nothing seems to help. 

Scenarios:

iMessage sent from PM to PM, sender has blue text (iMessaging is working).

iMessage sent from PM to Rogers, sender has green text (iMessaging not working). 

I saw some threads here saying iMessage should be turn off, so outgoing text message can be sent as SMS/MMS and won't be charged.  Is that true for $10 prepaid plan.  My son is complaining that all his outgoing text messages under WiFi are getting charged as regular text messages because iMessage is not working.

Please advise how to make iMessage works in PM.  What should be the correct setup to use iMessaging?  For $10 plan, should iMessage be turn off so it won't get charged?  Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Lowufo wrote:

Make sure imessage is turned on by going to settings then scroll down to messages and make sure imessage is turned on. When you have wifi or data the message should go as an imessage as long as the person you are texting has wifi or data on and imessage turned on their device as well.

I had a feeling that was your issue, glad you got it working.

va3lim

Found out why iMessage is not working.  For some resons, my phone number (Rogers) was de-selected under iMessage, that's why my family members (Public Mobile) are not able to send/receive iMessage from me.  I apologize for not checking the iMessage setup on my phone.  

va3lim

Latest Update under doing some more testings under WiFi:

iMessage works IF SMS/MMS are sent between 2 Public Mobile phones regardless of plans.  The outgoing messages will NOT be deducted if under $10 plan.

iMessage does NOT work when sending SMS/MMS from Public Mobile to other carriers (eg. Rogers).  It will deduct outgoing messages from $10 plan.

Lowufo

Make sure imessage is turned on by going to settings then scroll down to messages and make sure imessage is turned on. When you have wifi or data the message should go as an imessage as long as the person you are texting has wifi or data on and imessage turned on their device as well.

88cranston

On your iPhone.....iMessage setting.....what is your “start from” set at......a phone number or an email address?

What happens if you imessage to another phone on wifi.....but send an iMessage to an email address?

va3lim

Cellular: ON

Send as SMS: ON

MMS Messaging: ON

When I sent messages to another iPhone on WiFi, I still see green bubble for my texts, which means iMessage is not working.  How can I make it works so I can see blue bubble on my texts?  Thanks.

va3lim

Cellular: OFF

APN: isp.mb.com

iMessage: ON

Send as MMS: ON

* Test result based on $15 prepaid plan with 250MB data with WiFi:

Sent SMS (text) message: Successful

Sent MMS (picture) message: Failed --> this show iMessage is not working because it should work under WiFi

------------------------------------

Cellular: ON

APN: isp.mb.com

iMessage: ON

Send as MMS: ON

* Test result based on $15 prepaid plan with 250MB data with WiFi:

Sent SMS (text) message: Successful

Sent MMS (picture) message: Successful --> this work but it's using up data, it was not sent thru iMessage

------------------------------------

I know that under $15 plan, all outgoing text messages including pictures are "UNLIMITED", however I want to be able to use iMessage whenever I am on WiFi to save data.  Is this possible?  

So far as iMessage not working I would backup and reset all phones. Before reinstalling the backup, install as new first and make sure you can get everything to work properly, then install the backups and troubleshoot from there if necessary. No need to be changing APN settings.

@va3lim wrote:

Found another thread with iMessaging issue under $10 prepaid plan.  I don't see the solution, it seems the fix is to request a refund?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/iMessages-sent-from-home-wifi-countin...

So using iMessage with no or minimum data is a little tricky. I have my daughter on the $15 plan.

There is no simple solution that will work in all cases. This is what I have done. As @GinYVR mentioned make sure "Send As SMS" is turned on. Then go to cellular data and turn everything off except phone. Now all calls and text will use wifi when possible and dat only when necessary. This should work for the "No Data" plan as well. The only issue is if the $15 plan person wants to use the data for internet or email they will need to turn it on in Cellular Data prior to using it, of course this only applies when not on wifi.

@va3limiMessage requires both the Apple servers and iPhones to communicate over data. They need to be synchronized that's why if you are in a hurry make sure you are starting with brand new settings (ie setup). On either $10 and $15 plans you need to have data turned on. Just make sure your Messages settings are set was below.

IMG_0009.JPG

va3lim

Found another thread with iMessaging issue under $10 prepaid plan.  I don't see the solution, it seems the fix is to request a refund?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/iMessages-sent-from-home-wifi-countin...

va3lim

I'll change the APN back to "isp.mb.com". What is required to make iMessaging works on Public Mobile? Does iMessaging works on WiFi  or do you a plan with data?  Thanks.

va3lim

For the $10 plan (with no data), iMessage should work if outgoing texts are sent thru WiFi, they shouldn't be charged as regular text messages. Am I wrong? 

For the $15 plan (with 250MB data), iMessage is not working if sent to other carriers (eg. Rogers) thru WiFi. The phone still has data remaining. Why?

Thanks.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@va3limYou shouldn't change the APN settings. I would suggest doing a backup and then reset for all 3 phones. That usually make sure the settings on Apple's side works well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@va3lim  Firstly, the 10$ plan has no data, So you must set up that phone to use SMS.  However, there are only 50 outgoing messages included, and there is no way to buy more on that plan.  Incomming is unlimited.  On the 15$ plans, there is a small amount of data - only if you are set up with auto-pay, so you can use iMessage with data, if you are on auto-pay.  Otherwise, you need to stick with SMS.

BTW, with Public Mobile, ther are no after the fact charges.  You only get what you pay for in advance.  No surprises.

Need Help? Let's chat.