cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to switch my phone number service from long distance to local

zhangjie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought my cellphone number last month, and I live in vancouver. Recently many people told me that my phone number is from Victoria island for long-distance. They cannot contact with me with their local phone. How can I change my service area from Victoria island to local?

4 REPLIES 4

@zhangjieNo it requires you to change a number in the Vancouver or Lower mainland area code eg 604 778 and some exchanges in the 236 area code.

Public Mobile requires a certain level of knowledge.. there is really no one to advise you. You do get what you pay for.

zhangjie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you very much! I just come to Vancouver last month, and bought the number started with 250 in Vancouver. I have no idea about local and long-distance number at that time. No one told me that number didn't belong to Vancouver. Later some friend and my daughter's teachers told me that their phone cannot contact with me because of my long-distance number. So I just want to know is there any ways to solve this problem don't need change my phone number.

On thread below its mentioned that this is not a public mobile issue.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Incoming-placed-calls-to-my-number-ar...

To Quote @computergeek541  post I pasted it below.

"Unless those same friends are also with Public Mobile, this isn't a Public Mobile service issue.  Whether it's long distance for the caller is determined by the carrier being used by that person.

Assuming they are calling from cell phones, what city are they in when they are calling you (not the city of their phone numbers)?    And, what is the area code and the first 3 digits of your phone number?  Those 2 factors alone will determine if calling you is really long distance for them."

To change your phone number log into your self serve account. 

Click "Plans & Addons"

And you are the option to change number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zhangjie wrote:

I bought my cellphone number last month, and I live in vancouver. Recently many people told me that my phone number is from Victoria island for long-distance. They cannot contact with me with their local phone. How can I change my service area from Victoria island to local?

You will need to go to Change Number and select the region you want ie. Vancouver and then select one of the numbers. The pickings are probably pretty slim. You'll probably only see 236 or something. Then your callers providers will need to know that that is a local area code. Most likely they will but you never know with new things.

Edit: or tell your callers to come on over to here and get unlimited Canada-wide where you don't have to think about it anymore.

Need Help? Let's chat.